Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Sunderland next week

Well seeing as we didn''t play this weekend (I can pretend can''t I?) the players will be fresh and ready for the home game versus Sunderland.

What do we go with?

I think one of the only positives was Elmanders cameo. Yes the goals were gifted, but he still did better than the rest of the strikers did all game.

I just wonder if i''d rather Wes or Elmander behind Hooper, who looked miles better than RVW even if it was more to do with the incompetence of RVW.

I think i''d rest Johnson, he looks like he could do with a rest and in would go Howson and Tettey. Redmond has to play instead of Pilkington, and I think Snodgrass has to play as well, as he''s the one guy for us who can really deliver the goods. He hasn''t been on form this season, but I feel that he is one of the last ones who is any good that cares about us still.

Bassong and Martin should be reinstated and then i''d keep Yobo and Olsson in. Turner isn''t back is he otherwise i''d be tempted to give Yobo a rest. Ruddy picks himself.

So in summary:

Ruddy, Martin, Bassong, Yobo, Olsson, Tettey, Howson, Redmond, Wes/ Elmander, Snoddy, Hooper.

Not perfect by any means but that doesn''t really exist for us at the moment!

I''m a bit undecided on the Whittaker thing.

On the one hand I wouldn''t have brought him back because he''s been out so long it was always unlikely he''d be up to speed.

But on the other hand he has been good for us in the past (something that many people have quickly forgotten) and if he doesn''t play games then he''ll never get back to his better form.

What''s the point of bringing him back for one game and then dropping him if he doesn''t play like Dani Alves?

I was surprised Martin was dropped but I can also see that he hasn''t played particularly well recently - though this has escaped attention as people have been on Bassong''s case, or Johnson or Elmander etc etc. And undoubtedly Martin''s image as a great guy and good servant to the club buys him some extra credit.

I know the common thing to say about Martin is that he is better defensively than Whittaker but we''ve conceded goals for fun many times with Martin in the side so I don''t think that really stacks up.

I am assuming that none of our injured players will have recovered in time.

I would like to see the team below,   but expect to still see BJ & Snodgrass.   We tried to solve a problem we didnt really have in the back 4 and have to revert back.  

Snoddys has simply offered us nothing the last couple of games,  our overbearing preference to attack through him has made us far too predictable and his defensive work is no longer what it was.

We simply have to break up the BJ/Howson partnership,  they negatively affect each others performance.   Its worse than ever this season, but in all three seasons our record without them starting together is much worse when neither or just one of them starts.    BJ was woeful on sat,  with the ball going around him and unable to find a white shirt with his passing and we need a change.  JH will improve again for a full 90 mins pitch time so starts instead for me.

Ruddy

Martin  Bassong Yobo  Olsson

Tettey  Howson

Redmond    Wessi       Pilkington

RvW

Sat is so key for us;   it needs to be the start of a finale like last season where we secured survival with an unexpected run of 10 points from the last 8 games - I suspect 7 may be enough this time around.   COYY

Hooper and Elmander should start up front together. Cram Wes in too. Redmond needs to start also. Get Howson in. And Tettey. Drop Johnson. Bring back Bassong and Russell Martin.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

BJ was woeful on sat,  with the ball going around him and unable to find a white shirt with his passing and we need a change. 

[/quote]

Just as he was against Villa and Stoke.

Hopefully the change will be made.

Need a win Saturday so need to adopt a more attacking style.

Ruddy

Martin

Bassong

Turner if fit if not Yobo

Olsson

Snodgrass

Howson

Tettey

Redmond

Hooper

Elmander

[quote user="pete"]Need a win Saturday so need to adopt a more attacking style.

Ruddy

Martin

Bassong

Turner if fit if not Yobo

Olsson

Snodgrass

Howson

Tettey

Redmond

Hooper

Elmander[/quote]

I''d go with this. We only ever look any good when we play a bit gung-ho and attack in numbers, like we have in just a few spells this season. The defence is too wobbly to rely on, so we need to score first, and score again.

Also, The players need plunging in an ice bath or something before kick-off! There''s something deeply wrong with the way we start games - they''re just not fired up. Yet, when we score - they all suddenly run faster, pass better, and generally bust a gut to get another goal!

This is a good thread, (no insults....yet) that gets me thinking and it really demonstrates how differently we see things. After the performance at the weekend I am now understanding a little more why the changes were made and also why they didnt work, if that makes sense. Also, just how difficult it is right now to get it right.

The management regardless of who they pick will not get it right at the moment, thats just the way it is with the way results have gone and the general negativity and opinions around the place, even if we win Saturday they will still have got it wrong......sad but true.

I would look at the players who have generally kept going for us and who seem to care more than others and certainly not rely on those who have not recently busted a gut for the team or taken their chance when given it.....its going to be about belief, effort and commitment and we need to be prepared for a fight.

So, based on that, the players I would accomodate to start would be........Ruddy, Martin, Yobo, Bassong, Olsson, Bradley, Snodgrass, Tettey and Hooper. (For me, my personal choice there are three "must starts", Ruddy of course, Bassong and Snodgrass, many will disagree). That leaves two spaces to fill................personally I would exclude from those two final team places right now.......Hoolahan (I just dont think the "midfield unit" generally plays as well when he is in the side, Saturday was an exception), Pilkington (big shame, very talented, potential match winner), Bennett, Becchio and Whittaker..why?....well, because even though I rate each of these players I really dont think they have the bottle we need right now...I''m not sure they would get out of that cold bath and play for the shirt for whatever reason is effecting them....hope I am proved wrong though. The two places should then be filled by any two of Redmond, Howson, Elmander, RVW (just because I really get a feeling his day will come) and if fit Turner,Gutierrez and Fer depending on the team formation of course.        

Plenty there to disagree with......easy isnt it.....NOT!

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

BJ was woeful on sat,  with the ball going around him and unable to find a white shirt with his passing and we need a change. 

[/quote]

Just as he was against Villa and Stoke.

Hopefully the change will be made.

[/quote]

Having been hoping that for too long

lose this one and its all over, but at least clueless will be sacked, and when we go down mcnally should be as well                 ruddymartin bennett bassong garrido                tettey         howson  johnson redmond                olsson                hooper

I say we go with 3-5-2

GK. Ruddy

CB. Bassong

CB. Yobo

CB. Martin

LWB. Olsson

RWB. Snoddy

CM. Bradders

CM. Howson

CM. Hoolahan

ST. RVW

ST. Hooper

I would go

Ruddy

Martin Yobo Turner (if fit, if not Bassong) Olsson

Redmond Tettey Howson Snodgrass

Hoolahan

Hooper

But I suspect BJ will be preferred to Wes to help keep our defensive shape.