Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

The worst ever team to survive in the premiership

Looking like whoever is 17th this season will possibly be the worst team ever to survive in the premiership. Who would you say are the worst team to ever survive?

hull city in 2009 after a superb 1st half of the season they barely won a game after christmas and stayed up thanks to someone else losing on the final day prompting phil brown to take the mic and sing on the pitch...

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Anyone else think this is the poorest season the prem has ever had? For the neutral, probably not. Close title race, with four teams still in it. Very close relegation with loads of teams still in it.

I''ll say Wigan a few yrs ago, the year Sheffield utd went down. They were saved by a david unsworn pen. Bloody awful that yr[/quote]

I would say - with no malice - it has to be villa 2 seasons ago. couldn''t score, couldn''t defend, boring football. (and before someone says it, yes even worse than us!)

Wasn''t that the year that Norwich conceded 66 goals NWC ?! I totally agree with you on Villa''s boring style and low scoring in the 2011/12 season....but to say Villa "couldn''t defend" and were "even worse" (your words) than Norwich defensively.... when you conceded 13 more goals....is a bit wide of the mark. Villa stayed up because they lost fewer games than everyone outside of the top 7 teams that season.

On the whole Villa was rubbish.  However not as bad as the three that went down.  
This season we''re rubbish, but imo they''ll be three below us come May... just.

Bradford without a shadow of a doubt!

they beat Liverpool tiwce that season i think.. 3-0 at Anfield (memory roughly serves.. might have been cup though?) and 1-0 at Valley Parade and got another year out of it!

Personally I think who ever goes down will be some of the strongest teams to ever get relegated. The reason the relgation battle is so close is because no one is particulary bad and everyone is taking points off everyone else. Imagine Fulham in the Championship next season with Holtby and Mitroglou, or Cardiff with Steven Caulker. These players will probably leave the clubs, but I can''t think of many teams getting relegated with players of such quality in their squads.

I think everyone looking about the same this season has made it appear bad, but take anyone of Cardiff, WBA, Norwich, Sunderland or maybe even Fulham and put them in the Prem last season, or the season before and I think they would survive without much problem.

The extra money that arrived in the summer has meant they are all considerably better teams than those in similar positions in the past.

Holtby is on loan and won''t stay. Caulker would go too. I think there are a few too many lazy players at Fulham, a management mess at Cardiff and then a few sides like Palace, us and Sunderland have got lucky with that. We''d be long gone if those two were functioning normally.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Holtby is on loan and won''t stay. Caulker would go too. I think there are a few too many lazy players at Fulham, a management mess at Cardiff and then a few sides like Palace, us and Sunderland have got lucky with that. We''d be long gone if those two were functioning normally.[/quote]

Not saying those players would stay, just the fact you wouldn''t have seen many teams with that kind of quality in the bottom three before. Cardiff weren''t great before the management problems, they had a strong start to the season but were fading badly anyway. Fulham have clearly been the worst team this season, but having seen them play a couple of times I have been struck by the fact they haven''t been hopeless (like the 20th place team usually is). Think back to 2011/12 Wolves, Blackburn and Bolton were all absolutely hopeless - no one this season has been anywhere near to that bad.

I definitely think this is getting on for one of the worse if not the worse premiership seasons ever.

Some people are saying as a neutral it''s good - but then I''d want to know who those neutrals are.

The entire league has been very poor. For me, Chelsea being top sums it up. They are not particularly great to watch as a neutral - they don''t have the ebb and flow of Arsenal or the flamboyance of Man City nor the sheer attacking prowess of Liverpool and yet all of those teams have struggled for consistency.

Arsenal have slipped to a couple of shockers. Man Utd haven''t even troubled the top 6 let alone 4 this season.

In general it is a pretty low scoring season in terms of points. You can pick 8-9 teams from the league and then struggle to pick much between the rest. The teams that get relegated will be gutted, this shouldn''t have been a hard season to stay up in.

The teams that don''t quite win it will be gutted because it wouldn''t have taken that much to be a standout team this season.

A lot of teams are not lining up with much attacking intent - those that are are struggling to get results consistently.

One word that sums up this season for me?

Stale.

Fulham have been hopeless this season in terms of quality.

They got better when they got rid of Berbatov.

The reason they still play with hope is because they still have some. They have never really been cut adrift. It was a statistical unlikelihood but has never been an impossibility.

A couple of wins could see them up to 14th equal on points with Hull in 13th. I doubt the bottom team has ever seen that sort of a lifeline before.

I can''t relate to the people saying this is a poor Prem season.  It''s disappointing for City, we''d have hoped at the start to be at least 6 points better off by now and looking forward to the run-in without too many worries.  The same goes for most of the bottom 10.  But that doesn''t mean it''s a bad season for the league, actually it''s a lot more competitive and exciting at both ends than normal.

At the bottom, as some have pointed out, you don''t have a hopeless team already cut adrift at the bottom.  Any team that wins a couple in a row would get out of the bottom 3.  And every team from 12th downwards are very much in the relegation scrap although it''s the bottom 6 who are most at risk.

At the top, with Man U continuing to misfire and effectively out of the title race for the first time since forever, it is open and 4 teams realistically could win it.  When was the last time there were 4 title contenders at this point of the season with none of them being Man U ?  I can''t remember and I think it''s great.  OK those four contenders all have mixed records but that''s what you''d expect.  If any one of them was doing consistently very well, they''d be out on front on their own. 

I''d much rather have this sort of season - with City doing better, natch, but that''s all - than the tedium of another Man U cruise to the title or a two-horse race between Man U and one other.

I can see this being one of the BEST Prem seasons ever, for the neutrals.

The problem is though, you are looking at the point totals without getting there.

It''s like watching a horse race between lame horses, it''s not pretty and it really isn''t really entertaining.

I can''t think of many games this season, other than some Liverpool/Man City/Arsenal games which you can genuinely say were good for the neutral.

Yes, you want it to be competitive, but rarely is a race involving Bolt but the sheer example of a sprinter that he is draws the neutral into watch. The fascination of his ability.

A neutral is not interested in teams scraping through, they want to see entertaining football, flair players etc.

I agree with Roy Keane (and I never thought I would say that) in that people who are still kidding themselves that this is the best league in the world need to wake up and smell the coffee. Most of our teams have flopped in Europe/Champs League.

The prem reminds me of the champsionship this season.   Most teams able to beat each other and its exciting from top to bottom with just a couple of mid table teams with little to play for.

Sadly while this makes it exciting and interesting from a who will win/get relegated point of view it does not say much about the overall quality.   We sit 15th have looked occasionally good and far too frequently a shocking shambles .  despite that we currently have 5 teams worse than us.    Its the same story at the top - inconsistent performances quality wise from the top 3 and even the mid table nonenties (soton, newcastle, everton man u) inconsistent and uninspiring.

Poor quality overall,  but a great league spectacle for me.  

Poor quality overall is a great league spectacle?

Sorry but to me that contradicts the definition of a spectacle.