Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Gerrard's comments!

" Brendan Rodgers has been great. He makes you feel like a million dollars when you go out on the pitch. Full of confidence and belief "

This is called man management. A basic skill of a professional football manager. In fact, any kind of manager. Tell your staff they can and they will. Tell them they can''t and they won''t.

We had all this in Hughtons first game in charge. You dont go to Craven Cottage and attack didn''t he say? Correct me if I''m wrong.

We all know the problem. Negative from day one, no belief or confidence instilled in the players. What happens? Strikers that dont score, players dropping form (Bassong, Snodgrass, all of em!)

When will this clown be gone, I pray for the day.

Perhaps you could interview him and do a podcast? You could ask him why he doesn''t encourage the players to perform well and what he thinks is to be gained from destroying their confidence.

You could dress up in giant shoes and a colourful wig and a big red nose to get your point across. Perhaps turn up in a jalopy with doors that fall off and throw buckets of tinsel at people.

As for that horrible day at Craven Cottage, didn''t we finish 11th after that first game? Correct me if I''m wrong.

Warren - Excellent reply, well done mate. You represent everything that is wrong with this board now.

Morty - Tell me i am wrong. Have you ever heard any of our players talk about Hughton like this?

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Warren - Excellent reply, well done mate. You represent everything that is wrong with this board now.

Morty - Tell me i am wrong. Have you ever heard any of our players talk about Hughton like this?[/quote]So because they haven''t said it, it makes the opposite true?I have never said I don''t own an elephant, but who knows?

Frankly its about polarised views.Its like a flowchart, where the first question is "Do you want Chris Hughton sacked" and everything else from there on is decided on that answer.Hughton could discover a cure for cancer, and would get no credit for it from some fans.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Warren - Excellent reply, well done mate. You represent everything that is wrong with this board now. Morty - Tell me i am wrong. Have you ever heard any of our players talk about Hughton like this?[/quote]

What no swear words?

Bit early for the pub though, eh?

[:D]

It''s not just about the manager, the whole management team have to have the right credentials like this example;

From Football365;

Sir Alex Ferguson had a real aura about him. I started my career at Manchester United - I won the Youth Cup in 1995 - and when he entered the room, you knew he was there, just by his shadow. That''s something I''ve tried to take from him. At Crewe, Dario Gradi was very good technically, getting his points across on the training ground. And towards the end of my career, Colin Calderwood at Northampton was a good man-manager. So I take little bits from everyone.

The full article is here

http://www.football365.com/f365-features/9186068/Coaches-Abroad

Jesus wept, I get the idea. You think Hughton is a useless manager, probably the worst we''ve ever had.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Warren - Excellent reply, well done mate. You represent everything that is wrong with this board now.

Morty - Tell me i am wrong. Have you ever heard any of our players talk about Hughton like this?[/quote]

No. You represent everything that is wrong with the board.  There is a whole bandwagon on here that wants to see its agenda and its agenda only.  If you question the so called popular view you are regarded as some kind of  traitor.  What people want and what they will get are two different things.  Whether they like it or not  Hughton was successful last season in bringing in some good players and putting us 11th in the league.   It is not even impossible he could do the same again - unlikely - but not impossible.    Also, Hughton is almost universally liked and respected by players - players do want to play for him as has been demonstated time and time again.  There are poor performances sometimes, but confidence can be an issue week to week, especially until the strikers start putting away chances.

It is not great viewing sometimes and there are questions over Hughton - of course there are - but the wailing and moaning, the incessant almost neurotic fear of seeing or hearing anything that may  put Hughton in a good light - or a  complete blanking of anything that can be seen as mitigating circumstances - is frankly short sighted and destructive to what really matters.   And what really matters? Us pulling together  as fans get the team across that line so we have the chance to see premiership football next season.    The manager issue is actually a side issue until the end of the season - or should be.

Yet Gerrard won the European cup under Benitez, who gets quite a lot of stick for being a pretty poor man manager. Different managers, different styles, different results.

[quote user="morty"]Hughton could discover a cure for cancer, and would get no credit for it from some fans.[/quote]Probably because the flip side to it would likely be that the rest of your life was then a boring, miserable existence with absolutely nothing to look forward to and zero reason for optimisim that it will ever get better...

[quote user="Warren Hill"]

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Warren - Excellent reply, well done mate. You represent everything that is wrong with this board now. Morty - Tell me i am wrong. Have you ever heard any of our players talk about Hughton like this?[/quote]

What no swear words?

Bit early for the pub though, eh?

[:D]

[/quote]

How about "knob", your mate Morty seems to be fond of calling people that.

But even stranger, I have just been on a flight to Amsterdam with Ricky and Leroy.....

[quote user="morty"]Sorry guys, first rule of elephant club.....[/quote]

You don''t need and Elephant you trumpet enough without one[;)]

[quote user="morty"]Ha![/quote]

I will see your Ha and raise you a He He!

By the way how are those two smashing lads of yours?

In my round about sort of philosophy on football I like to think of a club as a big jigsaw.

The things that don''t change much are the fans and stadium staff, they are there whatever - to me they are the edge pieces. You always know where they stand. They moan at times for the length of time it is taking for the other pieces to be done but on the whole they look on and cheer when another piece is fitted in.

Then you have the board, the players and the manager. These pieces fluctuate the most. Some will last a few months on a loan deal, some could be with the club for many years like Foulger, Delia and MWJ.

The manager and players are the most short lived. It''s a never ending cycle. If you have a good season, teams come in for your players. If you have a poor season you get relegated or nearly, the manager gets the heave ho and a new one appointed who wants his own players and approach to the beautiful game.

They are the most problematic parts to any club.

You can have a good manager, a great person running the team but for whatever reason, and not for want of trying, cannot get the best out of the players. Sometimes that is the players, sometimes that is just that for whatever reason the approach the manager is taking in style of training, play etc just isn''t working.

Rodgers is no stranger to this. He experienced mixed results at Watford and then went to manage Reading who he struggled with. He then inherited a good squad that he built upon at Swansea which resulted in his move to Liverpool.

At this point in time Rodgers is the best young manager in the country. Liverpool are a suitably large club and he is almost as high as you can get domestically in UK football bar perhaps Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City - although Liverpool could yet outperform some, if not all of those this season.

I guess what I am saying is that it is very easy to reflect that any manager is a great man manager when his team is winning, his players are on form and positive about the way things are turning out for them. The real test is when things don''t go so well, do those players keep saying the same things or not? Because you want the manager to be able to praise as well as constructively criticize the team and be able to know when to do which to get the best reaction.

The most frustrating thing at the moment is that Hughton has improved our squad, he has brought in a better caliber of player arguably on a relative shoe string (something like £30million over two seasons). But despite that he has struggled to get better results.

I don''t think his man management is a problem. The only thing we have to reflect upon in that regards really is Wes - who said, even in January, that he had no problem with the manager. Someone on here even commented on a recent interview with Holt where it at least appeared he had no problem with Hughton either.

Personally I think that he is a decent, honest chap and I don''t particularly entertain any thought that he is some sort of ''numpty''. He, the man he is, has drawn some players to the club just because of who he is; Bassong, Gutierrez, Redmond for starters.

But what really counts are results and they just are not coming for him. He has shown that when we get some momentum going he can turn it into a string of results. But this league is never going to be easy or kind.

Mark Lawrenson said last weekend that he felt Norwich were becoming too brittle for his liking. I wouldn''t disagree - and to me a lot of that is down to confidence. As Snodgrass says, the constant questioning of the ability of the manager is also damaging to the players.

I think it''s a lot easier to talk about your coach, the good feeling and the positivity around the club when your second in the league, just beaten Man U 3-0 and have arguably one of the best front lines in Europe.

We''ve had Snodgrass, Bassong, Martin and Ryan Bennet all come out and say how they find the negative attitude towards the manager a distraction and not a reflection of the squads feelings..... To quote Bennet it''s embarrassing if anything,

Now don''t get me wrong, I''m not jumping to anyone''s defence,and Rodgers is a vastly better manager... But this is a complete non-start of an argument about Hughton and his man management.

For more or less 50% of the Premiership clubs, the line between success (avoiding relegation) and failure (finishing in bottom three), is very narrow. And for those that finish the right side of that line, it will have been down to a range of factors. Obviously, the quality of the playing staff is key but is not something that varies within the run-in. Two factors that do vary are team confidence and luck. Luck can go for or against you in all sorts of ways, incidents in games, injuries etc. But you can''t influence luck, you take what you get. Confidence however, is in the hands of the management but how the hell can a manager be expected to lift and motivate his players when he personally is being subjected to the vitriol of the likes of some of the so-called supporters of the club.

Hughton lives near me and on Sunday morning at around 11.50, I saw him in the local supermarket getting a few food provisions. He looked pretty shattered following events of the previous day and I just wondered to myself how he would be able to firstly pick himself up and then lift the team. All this at a time when a growing minority are glorying in every bit of failure.

With supporters like some of these on here, who needs enemies.

I''d also say it is down to the playing staff to lift themselves too.

You look for the experienced heads of the likes of Yobo that have been here and done it to put his arm around some of the players who are down beat.

People like Russ Martin who know the club and know the battle.

It has been said in the past the team had a really good spirit - to some extent if the team has that, the manager can pick and choose the players for the squad without too much issue.

Holty said that in his interview - that when Lambert came he inherited a squad of players, that whilst not the best ever, wanted to give their all.

To me that means, like Elliott Bennett, they would be there for their team mates even if they were injured as he has been all season.