Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Wing Backs

Not this season, but one possible benifit of Bennett returning could be playing wing backs.

Ruddy in goal, centre back trio of Bassong, Turner and a new signing with Olsson and Bennett as wing backs

We''d then play Tettey, Howson and Fer in the middle and RVW or Hooper alongside a Lukaku/ Benteke type target man.

Snodgrass could try get back in the team through the middle, as could Redmond.

Think we definitely have the players to suit this system, and on paper it makes a lot of sense, and Hughtons approach would probably be a lot more effective, but I just dont like the system. Whenever iv seen 3 at the back played in British football the team playing it has been killed. The centrebacks particularly seem uncomfortable, not knowing who to mark, where to be or when to pick up. In other countries 3 at the back can probably work quite well, but I just dont think its suited to English football

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Not this season, but one possible benifit of Bennett returning could be playing wing backs. Ruddy in goal, centre back trio of Bassong, Turner and a new signing with Olsson and Bennett as wing backs We''d then play Tettey, Howson and Fer in the middle and RVW or Hooper alongside a Lukaku/ Benteke type target man. Snodgrass could try get back in the team through the middle, as could Redmond.[/quote]

You''ll get crucified for not playing Hoolahan, or are we assuming he''s gone in the summer?

If we have learn''t anything from this season need to play two up top for us to get anywhere near scoring. Will need to replace Elmander as we need a foil for RVW or Hoops. Can''t see accomodating wing backs and wingers will allow us to do that without forfeiting the midfield.

Yeah, I like this formation especially with our set of players. Could even play Redmond as a striker to fit him in. Walcott type of position.

Would love to try the 3-5-2 formation. I would think this formation would suit us better when playing teams in and around us that we expect to pick up points against.

Maybe even get a weeks training on it and use formation this weekend.

GK. Ruddy

CB. Bassong

CB. Yobo

CB. Martin

LWB. Olsson

CM. Bradders

CM. Howson

CM. Hoolahan

RWB. Snoddy

ST. RVW

ST. Hooper

I suggested this back in October - and the same responses are coming out! I''m sure Liverpool did pretty well at the start of the season with three at the back, and it does work on paper. I remember the initial reason I suggested it was because Wes likes to play with two strikers in front of him and it would keep us solid down the middle. Not sure how susceptible we''d be down the flanks though