Sign in to follow this  
channonswindmill

Elmander & Hooper

Hope so after Hughton bigged up Elmander today, last week it was Hooper. No wraps for Ricky though.

Agree with Brownstone.

Hooper has wasted too many good chances to get us points recently. Wolfswinkle hasn''t. He''s constantly running looking for that through ball, that perfect cross and it hasn''t come. Hooper hasn''t exactly had much but he''s missed around one great chance a game, not a half chance, a great chance including at least four proper one on ones since Christmas... He''s lost it. Whereas RVW is still looking for it, I have more confidence he''ll find it than Hooper turning it around.

Plus RVW actually does more for the team, wins the ball, passing is decent and direct. Just Hooper runs around like a headless chicken a bit more so gets more praise from some for whatever bizzare reasons they can come up with. I do hope he manages to score, but he''s had length of chances since his last goal and it''s very frustrating.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I''d like to see Ricky given the chance to play off Elmander personally.[/quote]

We tried it before, it failed. I think anyway, as I was told that when I suggested it. I''d be suprised if he doesn''t start Elmander and Hooper after that interview. Imagine bigging your player up and then benching him. It doesn''t make sense, but then Hughton sometimes doesn''t!

I think if he does it and it''s failing, I''d like us to be bold and do a double sub on 60 minutes.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Agree with Brownstone.

Hooper has wasted too many good chances to get us points recently. Wolfswinkle hasn''t. He''s constantly running looking for that through ball, that perfect cross and it hasn''t come. Hooper hasn''t exactly had much but he''s missed around one great chance a game, not a half chance, a great chance including at least four proper one on ones since Christmas... He''s lost it. Whereas RVW is still looking for it, I have more confidence he''ll find it than Hooper turning it around.

Plus RVW actually does more for the team, wins the ball, passing is decent and direct. Just Hooper runs around like a headless chicken a bit more so gets more praise from some for whatever bizzare reasons they can come up with. I do hope he manages to score, but he''s had length of chances since his last goal and it''s very frustrating.[/quote]

That ''perfect cross'' has been the curse of Man U and Spurs this season too. Time to give up that approach. If £26m Soldado struggles to score from open play then what chance does RVW have?

Elmander and Hooper for me. RVW and Wes off the bench on 60 mins, no later if it''s going wrong.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Agree with Brownstone. Hooper has wasted too many good chances to get us points recently. Wolfswinkle hasn''t. He''s constantly running looking for that through ball, that perfect cross and it hasn''t come. Hooper hasn''t exactly had much but he''s missed around one great chance a game, not a half chance, a great chance including at least four proper one on ones since Christmas... He''s lost it. Whereas RVW is still looking for it, I have more confidence he''ll find it than Hooper turning it around. Plus RVW actually does more for the team, wins the ball, passing is decent and direct. Just Hooper runs around like a headless chicken a bit more so gets more praise from some for whatever bizzare reasons they can come up with. I do hope he manages to score, but he''s had length of chances since his last goal and it''s very frustrating.[/quote]

With respect Mr Ginger P, Hooper imo is the one class player we have and I always think a goal is possible with him on the pitch.

RVW gives me the opposite feeling I''m afraid.

Jumbo I suggest you go back as look at every single game he''s played since his last goal.

I have he opposite feeling, he''s fluffing very very good chances in the box, I don''t know why more aren''t picking up on it. It''s terrible, he''s wasted so manny chances.

RVW hasn''t missed any like that. Which is still a problem as he hasn''t been getting the chances. But still, at least he isn''t wasting them.

hooper has to start our only striker that can score. rvw has had too many chances, probably our worst signing since harry kane

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Jumbo I suggest you go back as look at every single game he''s played since his last goal. I have he opposite feeling, he''s fluffing very very good chances in the box, I don''t know why more aren''t picking up on it. It''s terrible, he''s wasted so manny chances. RVW hasn''t missed any like that. Which is still a problem as he hasn''t been getting the chances. But still, at least he isn''t wasting them.[/quote]

My name is Jimbo Mr Gingerpele, show a little respect eh?

And thats the rub, RVW doesn''t even get himself into a position to miss!

Our best combination by a country mile on the few occasions they have been allowed to play together has been Hooper with Hoolahan behind. It may not have manifested itself in goals so far on every occasion but those two have a genuine understanding nd link superbly. Of course our management team probably do not see this as the i-pad does not deal in matters such as understanding and chemistry so we will no doubt get Elmander and RVW tomorrow.

[quote user="Jimbo Canary"]

With respect Mr Ginger P, Hooper imo is the one class player we have and I always think a goal is possible with him on the pitch.

RVW gives me the opposite feeling I''m afraid.

[/quote]

Interestingly Hooper has been on the pitch when 4 of our 8 goals scored this year, ditto Ricky - 4 of the 8.    So its seems feelings can be misleading.

In this time neither have scored,  with Hooper having 9 starts/2 subs/765 mins compared to RvW 5/4/458.

Is there really much difference?

PS Playing Elmander with anyone would mean 4-4-2 and that would also be a mistake in my book.

It should be 4-2-3-1 with Johnson making way for Howson alogside Tettey. Wes in front of them with Snoddy and Redmond out wide.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]PS Playing Elmander with anyone would mean 4-4-2 and that would also be a mistake in my book. It should be 4-2-3-1 with Johnson making way for Howson alogside Tettey. Wes in front of them with Snoddy and Redmond out wide.[/quote]

would go with that too jim

Another advantage of Jims approach is it seperates Howson and Johnson.    Just taken a look at some stats and our results are significantly worse when they start together than we only one/neither of them starts.    So its a choice between BJ & Howson,  not both.

This season we are averaging 1.1 pts per game compared to 0.6 when both starts.  Our loss ratio is also much worse - losing 63% of games they both start compared to "just" 45%.    Its been the same every season since they joined for both and its getting worse year on year.#

Starting both is simply a hope to get the win we need. 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Another advantage of Jims approach is it seperates Howson and Johnson.    Just taken a look at some stats and our results are significantly worse when they start together than we only one/neither of them starts.    So its a choice between BJ & Howson,  not both.

This season we are averaging 1.1 pts per game compared to 0.6 when both starts.  Our loss ratio is also much worse - losing 63% of games they both start compared to "just" 45%.    Its been the same every season since they joined for both and its getting worse year on year.#

[/quote]

And what a tough call that is.

Oh wait. It''s not.

Play Howson.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

Oh wait. It''s not.

Play Howson.

[/quote]

100% with you on that one.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

Oh wait. It''s not.

Play Howson.

[/quote]

[/quote]
Its not like Johnson is out scoring and out assisting Howson is it...Oh wait.
Also more clean sheets with Johnson in the team. Lower loss ratio. Same points per match. Howson just edges the win ratio.
So yeah Howson is so so so much better for the team than Johnson. Clearly.

quote user="Gingerpele"Agree with Brownstone.

Plus RVW actually does more for the team, wins the ball, passing is decent and direct. Just Hooper runs around like a headless chicken a bit more so gets more praise from some for whatever bizzare reasons they can come up with. I do hope he manages to score, but he''s had length of chances since his last goal and it''s very frustrating.

I have always enjoyed reading your posts, Gingerpele, you have a lot of passion for NCFC are are never afraid to dodge a challenge on this messageboard.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

Oh wait. It''s not.

Play Howson.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Its not like Johnson is out scoring and out assisting Howson is it...Oh wait.

Also more clean sheets with Johnson in the team. Lower loss ratio. Same points per match. Howson just edges the win ratio.

So yeah Howson is so so so much better for the team than Johnson. Clearly.

[/quote]

Everything you''ve said there is absolutely spot on.

:-)

So GJP given those stats why exactly does Howson deserve to be in the team ahead of Johnson? You''ve said they can''t play together because the team is worse. But according to the official PL websites stats Johnson in the team is better than Howson in the team. But obviously Johnson is just so crap its irrelevant because Howson can do a load of 15 yard passes accurately that help the team soooooo much.......
If Howson actually stepped up more than twice a season and played to his true potential then yes, definitely he should be in the team. But he doesn''t.

I didn''t say he''s better...

I said based on these reasonable stats he''s been better for the team. More goals and assists himself, more clean sheets. Lower loss %. So despite him being the worst player ever in the PL we actually do better with him in the team than with Howson this season. How odd.

I would start Howson ahead of Johnson because Tettey and Johnson are similar whereas Howson in theory offers a bit more forward momentum.