Sign in to follow this  
chicken

Charlton to offload . . . . .

"Charlton boss Alan Curbishley is planning a major summer shake-up - he will look to offload Jason Euell, Mark Fish, Francis Jeffers, Paul Konchesky and Bryan Hughes, and target Newcastle''s former Addicks star Lee Bowyer as well as Chelsea''s former Charlton midfielder Scott Parker, plus Ipswich striker Darren Bent" - from the Mirror according to teamtalk.com.

I would say that maybe a couple of these players could do a job for us.

For starters I would have Konchesky to play left mid and for the fact he can also fill in at left defence.

Jason Euell, he is no better than what we have but maybe a useful squad player as we are really short of those at the moment.

Anyone else think they know of any-good aquisitions that are within the reach of our club?

Thoughts............I think Crouch would be far too expensive for us next season after his fantastic half season. Also if we buy, we need a quality defender not another foreward who would spend a lot of time on the bench.

[quote]"Charlton boss Alan Curbishley is planning a major summer shake-up - he will look to offload Jason Euell, Mark Fish, Francis Jeffers, Paul Konchesky and Bryan Hughes, and target Newcastle''s former Add...[/quote]

The salient word is "offload" I can see nothing there that would improve us at all.

Would I want Crouch ahead of our current strikers?  Not Ashton, nor hux, but Sven (injured too frequently but oozes class if not mobility) and Leon (oozes mobility but has the class of Collen McLoughlin) probably yes.  However that still only makes him at best our third choice striker (Ashton and Crouch are too similar to play together too) and I think he has had enough of waiting on the sidelines...

Do we need a striker?  Well any club needs probably 4 strikers to chose from and we have that with Ryan and Danny in the wings - we could do with a further injection in quality but I do think other areas are in need of strengthening first.

Defence - as I have said all season we do have defenders at the club but we simply have not been playing them!  Helveg, Drury, Charlton and Shacks have shown their class this season so wehave the nucleus there, and with Flem, Eddy and Doc in the wings we have cover in the squad.  However some are getting on a bit so ideally I would like to see us pick up a longer term partner for shacks and a younger right back in particular (eddy and helveg are the wrong side of 30) however the core of a good premier defence is in the squad now;  IF worthy really is not happy with Charlie then we urgently need a partner for Shacks but otherwise its about squad filling for me.

Midfield - boy do we need some changes here.  If Francis leaves then we will need a replacement - Holt is too similar to Safri to be an effective midfeld so we need someone who will take on the getting forward bit in Damos place.  Ideally I would like to see a creative midfielder to push Damo to greater things and gives us options in central midfield. 

Bents may or may not stay with us, if he doesnt then we will desperately need a replacement as their is NO cover,  if he stays we need someone who can play wide right when he is injured/suspended/out of form.  Wide left we have Jonson who shows how important the defensive role of a midfielderis but who will continue to be poor going forward until he rediscovers his confidence and Hux who is a Jonson in reverse - diabolical defensively no matter how hard he tries, yet excellent going forward as you would expect for a striker being played out of position.   Brennan is OK as a squad player so we do need an option here or for Worthy to get the best out of Jonson.   At best city need only a left midfielder who will start and lots of covering players, at worst only Safri remains with 5 new bodies needed. 

For me our priority remains a creative central midfielder, followed by better quality across midfield generally so we have options to change a game when needed.   Defence is next important with either charlie taking his rightful place in the team or a replacement needed.

OTBC

[quote]Thoughts............I think Crouch would be far too expensive for us next season after his fantastic half season. Also if we buy, we need a quality defender not another foreward who would spend a lot ...[/quote]

i have to agree, buy a right winger or a defender.

We really dont need another bench warmer, cause we wont need him unless we have another injury crisis. I say we keep SUPER MATTY SVENSSON, hes proved he can do it when he has to, and i think unless he got injured he would have been a key figure.

best to make sure were still shopping at Harrods before we conject upon possible transfer targets.. if we stay up i would be disappointed with any of that bunch. Jeffers? hes not even half as good as what we already have.. Fish? as for Crouch, he wouldnt fancy being a permanent understudy to Ashton.

If he could be attracted to a Premiership Norwich I would love to see the Sheffield United central defender Chris Morgan here. Not a typical City player I know but I admire his never-say-die attitude. When we were struggling a few weeks/months/a lifetime ago he was putting in some passionate & effective displays against the likes of the gooners. Now that Shacks is doing the business the need is not quite so dire but, if (when?) we survive, then we musn''t making the same mistake next season of entertaining any vulnerability in defence. There are plenty of other quality players in the Championship; I wonder who Worthy''s got his eye on