Sign in to follow this  
LostTheFaith

What is a must win game?

I do not see tomorrow as a must win game. A must win game is one that ensures that it remains in your own hands to survive. We loose tomorrow and we are still not in the bottom 3.

It may be a must win for the pant wetters amongst us...

It''s May be a must win game for Hoots......

But it''s is not a must win game for our club

Thought?

Its a 100% must not lose match,

80% must win match.

This is No 1 of 2no what we can win before end of season.

[quote user="KeepTheFaith"]I do not see tomorrow as a must win game. A must win game is one that ensures that it remains in your own hands to survive. We loose tomorrow and we are still not in the bottom 3.

Thought?[/quote]

If we allow Sunderland the luxury of a win against us, we are letting them catch us up and as a result putting us nearer the relegation zone.   If any game is a must win, this is one that comes pretty close.    Beating Sunderland would also have the effect of keeping them well under pressure and making their remaining games that much harder.    Its a true six pointer with a lot at stake and as we have missed the opportunities in some previous games, this game takes on more significance.   Not must win, but as close as it gets, imo.

Stating the b*eedin'' obvious it''s when you can only mathematically overtake another team''s points total if you win that game(s) and hope that your rivals don''t get the points they need to stay ahead of you.Realistically our ''must win '' game(s) need to happen before our last four fixtures.

If you dont think tomorrow is a must win then you obviously dont follow much football. Yer i mean what does it matter if a team below us who have 3 games in hand over us beat us ???

There are five teams beneath us, not 3.

Loose tomorrow and we are still not in the bottom three and could well still be in the same position.

Think LDC is right though, maybe as close a must win game as we have had in the last two seasons but we are far from down and out if we do loose.

Think some perspective is required.

I think we will win tomorrow.

As for Hoots,,,,,,, no manager is safe but he is as safe as any in the bottom eight clubs...... This board will be meltdown tomorrow if we loose..... Bring it on...... Exciting stuff this football malarkey!

Statistically it isn''t a "must win" or even a "must not lose" as we could stay up still even if we lost tomorrow, but it would be a damn sight easier for us to stay up if we did win tomorrow and significantly we''d be 3 more points ahead of Sunderland rather than 3 more points closer to them.

Whilst I''m a great admirer of your general NCFC positivity KTF, tomorrow really is a game from which we should be looking to take all three points.

Forget the if''s and but''s, it''s a must win gameanything less and we can kiss our ar$e goodbye.

I hate it when people call any important game a "must-win". 

Must win means if you fail to win, that''s it, end of the season, you''ve failed.  And of course for tomorrow that''s utter rubbish.  If we don''t win, we''re deep in the relegation scrap but it''s not over.

Certainly a game we should aim to win and we''re capable of winning but that''s very different.

It''s a typical example of the laziness of people nowadays.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

I hate it when people call any important game a "must-win". 

Must win means if you fail to win, that''s it, end of the season, you''ve failed.  And of course for tomorrow that''s utter rubbish.  If we don''t win, we''re deep in the relegation scrap but it''s not over.

Certainly a game we should aim to win and we''re capable of winning but that''s very different.

It''s a typical example of the laziness of people nowadays.

[/quote]

Without 3 points tomorrow the road to 37 points looks almost impossible plus it makes it almost certain that Sunderland will finish in front of us. You can continue to dream of wins against the big four and Fulham to make up for a defeat tomorrow but the reality is that tomorrow is our best chance of three points and blowing it will realistically make relegation the most likely prospect.

I don''t get this thread at all, if we lose against Sunderland it does become out of our hands.We''d have 7 games remaining so a maximum total of 50 points. Sunderland''s would be 58, Palace''s 55, and WBA''s 52 (taking into account them losing to us).

[quote user="Dandy Mountfarto"]I don''t get this thread at all, if we lose against Sunderland it does become out of our hands.We''d have 7 games remaining so a maximum total of 50 points. Sunderland''s would be 58, Palace''s 55, and WBA''s 52 (taking into account them losing to us).[/quote]Actually slight mistake here, Sunderland play WBA so Sunderland can only get 55 points in an ''out of our hands'' scenario.

It''s must win for multiple reasons...1) We obviously need the points on the board with Sunderland and others having games in hand2) As much as I want Hughton as far away from NCFC as possible, a defeat may solve that part of the problem, but the team would be devoid of confidence and no one of any caliber is realistically going to take on a team staring relegation in the eye this late in the season3) I don''t want to be pi$$ed off all weekend (again)

To me every player and manager should approach each game as a must win! If not then why bother? You''re not going to win them all or even the majority but the principle should be the same.

I too hate this phrase but suppose at the end of the season and sitting close to the bottom playing a Sunderland side in the bottom 3 is classed as a must win by most!

[quote user="Satoshi Nakamoto"]It''s very simple.  Tomorrow is a must win game.

I agree with Ricardo - if we lose tomorrow then we are likely to be relegated.
[/quote]

It is the laziness I spoke of in my post.  People on this thread are interpreting "must win" to mean something like "it''s a game we really could do with winning, otherwise we''ll be at a big risk of relegation and it will be a big struggle to avoid it".  Which is not what "must" means but I agree of course with the sentiment.  Defeat and we''re in big trouble but it''s not over  (a must-win game is when we lose and it will be all over).

So it''s a "we really want to win" game and I agree with that.  I just don''t like the sloppy use of language.

@"It''s Character Forming"It isn''t laziness.  I think that you''re assuming that all games are equally likely to produce 3 points.I think that we''re more likely to get points at home, against other teams at the bottom of the table.So tomorrow is our best chance of a win from the remaining fixtures we have.  Hence tomorrow is a must win game.

[quote user="KeepTheFaith"]There are five teams beneath us, not 3.

Loose tomorrow and we are still not in the bottom three[/quote]
It''s not in our hands tomorrow if we lose tomorrow as they all have games in hand on us. We''ll be relying on their results rather than our own.

ICF states the position that was made by many earlier in the season. As I understand it, a game is only ''must win'' if relegation necessarily follows. Thus, this match is only a must win'' in the same sense that Fulham at home might have been characterised as a ''must win'' - relegation does not necessarily follow but survival becomes a little bit more tricky.

Putting aside defining what a "must win" match is and I too am not keen on the terminology.......then this one is certainly the biggest match so far this season and absolutely crucial in our battle to stay up, the difference after the game if we win compared to if we lose or draw makes it a "must win"...........its huge isnt it.... 

KeepTheFaith wrote the following post at 2014-03-21 4:25 PM:

I do not see tomorrow as a must win game. A must win game is one that ensures that it remains in your own hands to survive. We loose tomorrow and we are still not in the bottom 3.

Thought?

Yeah right. It''s not a must win game, it''s a must not lose or draw game!

[quote user="Satoshi Nakamoto"]@"It''s Character Forming"

It isn''t laziness.  I think that you''re assuming that all games are equally likely to produce 3 points.

I think that we''re more likely to get points at home, against other teams at the bottom of the table.

So tomorrow is our best chance of a win from the remaining fixtures we have.  Hence tomorrow is a must win game.
[/quote]

No, honestly Satoshi, I don''t think all games are equally likely to produce 3 points.  I''ve never assumed it in my whole life, not even for a second.  And certainly I never would''ve done when I was too young to know - back then you got 2 points for a win anyway, so no game could ever produce 3 points !

KTF obviously doesn''t fancy us to win what is a most important fixture City need to win to get the points needed. KTF is keeping the faith in City.