Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Wouldn't it be nice......

lake district canary wrote the following post

Football is about more than just points - and it is about more than just performances too. It is about getting the balance right - and getting it right consistently. We are not as bad as some paint - we have poor games but we have good games too. Its still a work in progress and on the evidence of the last few weeks, it is still progressing.

What a truly ridiculous statement, as our CEO openly stated, football is an entertainment business and results driven. The game is certainly not just about points, why do you think the football authorities went for the three points for a win scenario some years ago? And MR HUGHTON has failed miserably in getting the balance right in the majority or games this season, results indicate exactly that. If we are not as bad as some paint, why don''t YOU attend matches more frequently so you look at matters with a more balanced opinion.

lake district canary wrote the following post

Football is about more than just points - and it is about more than just performances too. It is about getting the balance right - and getting it right consistently. We are not as bad as some paint - we have poor games but we have good games too. Its still a work in progress and on the evidence of the last few weeks, it is still progressing.

[quote user="City 2nd"]What a truly ridiculous statement, as our CEO openly stated, football is an entertainment business and results driven. The game is certainly not just about points, why do you think the football authorities went for the three points for a win scenario some years ago? And MR HUGHTON has failed miserably in getting the balance right in the majority or games this season, results indicate exactly that. If we are not as bad as some paint, why don''t YOU attend matches more frequently so you look at matters with a more balanced opinion.[/quote]

I''ve been to several games this season thank you.  I''ve watched every minute of the others, except one.  

Your statement is the same as mine. It is indeed a results and an entertainment business, you just put it in a different way from me.    Getting the balance right - which is your other point - is open to debate, but as for my statement being "truly ridiculous" - I think that is way over the top.   My opinion - which I believe to be balanced based upon what I have seen - is that taking games since our really poor spell at the start of November - the record is an improving one overall.  Yes there have been some really poor games - as I said -  but there have been good ones as well.  Why do you only see the bad things City 2nd? 

Finally, what games I go to is my concern and my opinion is valid whether I go to nil matches or 38 matches a season.

I''ve sat here and actually laughed at LDC in this thread trying to make out yesterday was a common theme. For us that was there and have been to every home game this season, that performance is certainly not the norm.

CUSDP is correct - the pressing nature of our play and positionally higher up the pitch made a huge difference. As did the inclusion of Hoolahan who as per usual helped link up the midfield to the attacking line.

So, as most have been saying, pressing higher up the pitch and including Hoolahan, both particularly when we''ve played teams around us - and we''d probably already be safe.

I hope, Hughton understand this now. He got the team set up, and line up, absolutely spot on yesterday. Shame it doesn''t happen often enough.

[quote user="hogesar"]I''ve sat here and actually laughed at LDC in this thread trying to make out yesterday was a common theme. For us that was there and have been to every home game this season, that performance is certainly not the norm.

CUSDP is correct - the pressing nature of our play and positionally higher up the pitch made a huge difference. As did the inclusion of Hoolahan who as per usual helped link up the midfield to the attacking line.

So, as most have been saying, pressing higher up the pitch and including Hoolahan, both particularly when we''ve played teams around us - and we''d probably already be safe.

I hope, Hughton understand this now. He got the team set up, and line up, absolutely spot on yesterday. Shame it doesn''t happen often enough.[/quote]

You can laugh all you like,  but what I have actually said on this thread is that is how we TRY to play every week.   What happens is that - surprise, surprise - we get opposing teams visiting Carrow Rd.  Opposing teams who make it difficult - who have the quality to attack or stifle us.  So we can''t expect to play like yesterday every week - but we can TRY to. 

Laugh away.............

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hogesar"]I''ve sat here and actually laughed at LDC in this thread trying to make out yesterday was a common theme. For us that was there and have been to every home game this season, that performance is certainly not the norm.

I hope, Hughton understand this now. He got the team set up, and line up, absolutely spot on yesterday. Shame it doesn''t happen often enough.[/quote]

You can laugh all you like,  but what I have actually said on this thread is that is how we TRY to play every week.   What happens is that - surprise, surprise - we get opposing teams visiting Carrow Rd.  Opposing teams who make it difficult - who have the quality to attack or stifle us.  So we can''t expect to play like yesterday every week - but we can TRY to. 

Laugh away.............

[/quote]

I''m not laughing at you LDC but I also don''t agree. The positive approach yesterday was in marked contrast to some other games. Ok it helped that Sunderland were poor but yesterday had a real air of West Brom last season about it. Hughton knew we had to win, he picked a positive team and let them play. He was duly rewarded for it. That''s all many of us have ever wanted him to do and if he did it every week then he would not have had the stick he''s had at times this season.

Exactly this Jim. We went for it from the start yesterday - this is how we should approach playing the bottom half teams, both home and away. Such a contrast from the no show last week.

But LDC, and pardon my ignorance here, you do actually watch our games don''t you? And you have, i presume, watched football, both us and other teams, in the past?

Because how we played yesterday is NOT how we try and play every week - i don''t understand how you can possibly say that..if you have any kind of tactical or football understanding it is blatant that the pressing style we played on Saturday is NOT our normal tactical structuring. Normally, and partially due to the players Hughton decides to play, we stick very rigidly to our formation which means pressing is minimal but structure is consistent. That''s what hasn''t worked this season.

Yesterday, Hoolahan was LM but had the freedom to come centrally because our full backs were permitted to play higher up the pitch than they usually do. Do you think Hughton tells our team to press high every game and they just decide not to because the other team can attack?

The reality is, and Hughton has said this himself although not sure if i can be bothered to find the quote - that we don''t always press teams. It''s not been our style for 90% of the season but when we have done it on the rare occasions such as yesterday and spurs and to an extent man city - we''ve benefited.

To say anything else is being blind, ignoring the facts and just deciding to see whatever suits your agenda of trolling on this forum, unfortunately.

Performances at home this season Everton    --  Good performance against a very good sideSouthampton --- good performance against a very good sideVilla   ---- good performance - deserved to win Chelsea ---- good performance, deserved moreCardiff --- Good performance --- deserved moreWest Ham --- under confident start but finished wellCrystal Palace  ---  A dour battle, you get themSwansea -- A struggle but a pointFulham  --- PoorManUtd --- very good first halfHull  --  a battle, but three pointsNewcastle ---poor start, but improvedManCity  --- excellent Tottenham  --- excellentStoke   ---   mediocre - but Stoke do that to youSunderland -- excellent  16 matches at home so far.  By my reckoning there has only been one very poor performance at CR (Fulham).  Some tough battles, some goals that should have been scored from chances created, but on the whole, not a bad record to date.  I would say that in all 16 home matches we TRY  to play in the set up as yesterday.  Injuries, form of players, confidence, opposition - many factors that affect how a game turns out - but it proves to me that when the right players are fit and able  we can turn it on - and do. 

Jim Smith has it spot on.

I hope Mr Hughton learns from his tactical change yesterday and takes the same approach next week.

Just because we are away from home it should not mean that we go with a defensive outlook hoping to scrape a point!

I have been in the ''Hughton out'' camp recently after being on the fence for a long while.

All I want to see is entertainment and a positive approach.

If that continues I will no doubt, initially, climb back on the fence!