Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Sunderland.

Earlier in the week I commented that we have a very good home record against Sunderland but I must confess on the stroll up to the ground I was feeling more than a trifle nervous for this relegation six pointer. Thankfully Bassong and Martin were restored to the defence. Never should have been omitted last week IMO. Also it was nice to see Elmander rewarded for his goal and Chris Hughton opting for a positive line up with RVW alongside and Wes and Howson in the middle.From the off it was all Norwich and if Snoddy had been a bit more precise with his crossing there could have been early joy but three good opportunities went begging before he got one right. The Elm was getting stuck in from the start and several times forced defenders into mistakes. From one of these Wes should have done better than hogging the ball for a shot when he could have released a yellow shirt to either left or right.Mannone and the Sunderland defence were often at full stretch as Wes and Howson orchestrated some nice City moves. Thankfully we didn''t have to wait long for the opener when a hard low cross was half cleared from the Sunderland six yard area. Elmander was clear a dozen yards out but at a narrow angle and did what so many City players this season have not done in similar positions. A perfectly weighted pass set up Snoddy near the penatly spot and his hard low shot was a goal all the way.There was very little coming back from Sunderland who looked the poorest side we''ve seen this year. Altidor almost got in an effort bu Bassongs strength was too much for him. At the other end City were forcing Sunderland to defend in numbers but one sweet move almost brought a second goal when Mannone did superbly to punch away Howsons strong drive from the edge of the box. We needed a second goal and just after the half hour we got it. A ball was cleared from the Sunderland box but fell nicely for Alex Tetty who caught it perfectly on the volley. So many efforts like this end up being balloned over the bar but this one almost ripped the net off the stanchions from fully thirty yards. The Clappers now came into their own as every City forward thrust was greeted with a storm of noise. Poyet had to react and he did by shuffling his midfield but City comfortably played out the half and continued to look easily the better side.Inevitably Sunderland had to make an effort in the second half but it was City who almost added a third just after the break. A nice move on the left gave Ricky a headed chance but again Mannone did well to turn the bouncing ball over the bar. Sunderland responded with a corner and Ruddy was at last called into action to block Brown''s close range effort.The game got a bit scrappy and the ref didn''t help himself with some really strange decisions that riled up both sets of supporters. City were certainly unhappy with a couple of blatant dives in the box that should have been carded. Sunderland huffed and puffed but at no stage did they look like blowing our house down and Mannone continued to be by far the busier keeper. Snoddy almost added a third with a free kick that flew inches over and Wes got a good low effort on target but there were few other goal chances. RVW was replaced by Hooper but the emphasis was now on keeping it tight and this, City did to great effect with Sunderland restricted to a couple of long range efforts. Indeed they looked incapable of forging anything for themselves although Bassong and Yobo seemed determined to keep us on edge by dwelling on the ball far too long at times.With time running down Wes and Elmander were both withdrawn to great applause. Each in their own way had made excellent contributions. In the four minutes added the petulant Alonso was red carded for a needless handball and City played keep ball until Phil Dowd finally blew for time.So a comfortable victory with Wes and the Elm starring for me but with good contributions from everybody. The Clappers continue with their 100% record and the only question from me is why don''t we have them for every home game.[;)]  The league table makes pleasant reading tonight.

Thanks Ricardo. Looking at Sunderland''s fixtures, I have a feeling that they will book the final relegation place.

[quote user=" Badger"]Thanks Ricardo. Looking at Sunderland''s fixtures, I have a feeling that they will book the final relegation place. [/quote]They never threatened us at any stage. They will be relegated IMO.

As per usual a great report Ricardo and many thanks.

I really wasnt sure when I saw the line up today, but it was clearly a well thought out combination that worked really well today. For me it was a real all round team performance, and it was hard to pick out just one player who was crucial for the win. I personally loved the contribution made particularly by Tettey, a clearly on his game again Howson and a real professional performance by Elmander, but also felt the rest of the team put great shifts in too, including RVW, as did the crowd today, the atmosphere really did sound brilliant.   

Brilliant report as we have come to expect Ricardo.

The table does indeed look better, although we have a way to go yet.

I said a couple of weeks ago that I didn''t think Cardiff or Fulham would get the required points to reach the 35/36 safety mark. With seven games left Fulham need 11 points and Cardiff need 10.

It''s doable, but probability suggests it is rather unlikely.

Then you have Sunderland who have three games in hand. Once of those is away to Liverpool on Wednesday. That makes me breath a little easier.

And they have a game against West Brom coming up. Any result from that game would be fine for us. Win and Sunderland keep West Brom down their with them. Lose and Sunderland are runing out of winnable games. A draw suits neither.

Palace are also sliding again and there could yet be a surprise fall from grace with Swansea only four points off Sunderland . . . . . a lot comes down to all of those games in hand other teams appear to be accumulating.

Still points on the board are what count at the end of the day. Another three points before the last four games and I will feel a lot more comfortable.

[quote user="chicken"]a lot comes down to all of those games in hand other teams appear to be accumulating.

Still points on the board are what count at the end of the day. Another three points before the last four games and I will feel a lot more comfortable.[/quote]As I keep telling you all, points on the board are better than games in hand.[:D]

I was at the game yesterday but as usual all points were well covered in Ricardo''s excellent report, I always look out for them.As far as our league position is concerned looks much better than last week.  But I don''t think we should get too carried away just yet, the next home game against WBA is just as important as the one yesterday in deciding our final destiny.  However, next week agaist Swansea is another matter can we get a performance & a result next week?We seem such a jeckle & hyde team home & away I just don''t know!Something we have been unable to do this season is win consecutive games, but who knows perhaps we can string together a much need string of positive results now.  Just like RVW has to score at some point....doesn''t he!!?I agree points on the board beat games in hand.....don''t believe Jose Mourinho!OTBC

Great report as usual Ricardo. In the match thread people were worried about there being no left winger to help Olsson out with Adam Johnson. How did we keep him quiet?

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="chicken"]a lot comes down to all of those games in hand other teams appear to be accumulating.

Still points on the board are what count at the end of the day. Another three points before the last four games and I will feel a lot more comfortable.[/quote]As I keep telling you all, points on the board are better than games in hand.[:D][/quote]Never better illustrated back in the day when it was only two points for a win. Ipswich were I think two behind Liverpool but with three games in hand for the title.They still managed to b*lls it up......[:D]