Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Hughton´s sudden 5-man changes, two games in a row

So, Hoots, who never like to chop and change his teams, has made 5 changes for 2 matches in a row. Most of them unforced.

Why is this happening all of a sudden?

Could it be that the "clear the air" talks has had the players air their frustrations of never getting a look in, and that it would be better for the team and the squad as a hole to create more competition for places?

Could it be that Hughton has listen to the players and approved?

I for one think it is good that the players don''t have a "secure" place in the team.

Some players, Snodgrass in particular, seem to be playing the next game even if he has had stinkers in previous games, but Hughton should utilize his squad better, and I think he has grasped the idea of it now.

Also, with Howson back, Tettey back, and Fer soon to be back, I don''t see Johnson playing a big role in the last 7 games of this season, and I am not very sad for it...Johnson is not a Premier league midfielder.

Comments?

In the case of Bassong´s dropping at Soton, yes.

Fer injury explains some, yes. Apart from that...well...

I think he saw yesterday as a more winnable game so dropped/rested players accordingly. My opinion. Could be bollox.

[quote user="Herman "]

I think he saw yesterday as a more winnable game so dropped/rested players accordingly. My opinion. Could be bollox.

[/quote]

I said this last week but got a load of old carp in reply. However I''m glad that Wes was rested last weekend after playing 3 games the previous week. That rest probably was key to his performance yesterday. People seem to think that Hughton winning the games he has to is some kind of fluke. It''s not. It''s by design. Will my views get the same reaction this week? Let''s see...

Well, I think he went for a more defensive setup away at Soton, for justifiable reasons, and then went for a more attacking setup at home. I don''t think it''s a question of not knowing his best 11 - its that the best 11 changes depending on form and unfortunately, whether we''re home or away.

As others have pointed out - Bassong needed a bit of a kick up the a*se in particular. Snoddy I agree should''ve been dropped in the mid point of the season but was played regardless every week. He''s been great for the past 8 or so games so now deserves to keep his place.

Johnson had a couple of great games, but then he was part of that shambles at Soton. He''s more often part of a shambles than part of a winning team unfortunately.

[quote user="MancCanary"]Johnson had a couple of great games, but then he

was part of that shambles at Soton. He''s more often part of a shambles than part

of a winning team unfortunately.[/quote]

He will be if he plays regularly for a bottom half Prem club. You could say

the same about Ruddy.

oh dearso why play all this negative sh ite that has led to defeat after defeat ?why try to hold onto a draw against Man City when the game was there to be won - yet against Sunderland everything Hughton has stood for goes out of the window.cracking team talk that - " basically lads, all the shi te and zonal stuff we work on in training is to be forgotten, just go out and play as you wish"why has it taken hime this long to recognise Hoolahan''s worth, likewise Elmander ?why has he persisted with RVW .... is Becchio''s record any worse ?

ps you should set yourself up as a defence counsel nutty, you would make a fortune - not winning cases, but in taking on the most lost causes possible

[quote user="nutty nigel"]
[quote user="MancCanary"]Johnson had a couple of great games, but then he

was part of that shambles at Soton. He''s more often part of a shambles than part

of a winning team unfortunately.[/quote]

He will be if he plays regularly for a bottom half Prem club. You could say

the same about Ruddy.
[/quote]

Nigel, you''re right but I mean when compared to others in our squad. There''s probably some players that have played a similar number of games to Johnson that have been present in every victory .. whereas Johnson may have only been in the team for a few? I don''t know ..it was a bit of a guess and could be unfair on BJ! I''m sure some stattos could enlighten me?

[quote user="City1st"]oh dearso why play all this negative sh ite that has led to defeat after defeat ?why try to hold onto a draw against Man City when the game was there to be won - yet against Sunderland everything Hughton has stood for goes out of the window.cracking team talk that - " basically lads, all the shi te and zonal stuff we work on in training is to be forgotten, just go out and play as you wish"why has it taken hime this long to recognise Hoolahan''s worth, likewise Elmander ?why has he persisted with RVW .... is Becchio''s record any worse ?

ps you should set yourself up as a defence counsel nutty, you would make a fortune - not winning cases, but in taking on the most lost causes possible

[/quote]

Be careful what you wish for City1st. Despite your constant moaning we remain out of the bottom 3. These so called saviours at other clubs, the likes of Solskjaer, Poyet etc, people who many of you Hughton outers have said you''d welcome here, can''t get past him.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Herman "]

[/quote]

I said this last week but got a load of old carp in reply. I can''t quite believe that [:D] However I''m glad that Wes was rested last weekend after playing 3 games the previous week. That rest probably was key to his performance yesterday. People seem to think that Hughton winning the games he has to is some kind of fluke. It''s not. It''s by design. Will my views get the same reaction this week? Let''s see...

[/quote]

I actually agreed that Bassong needed a ''rest'', being polite, but  dropping/resting so many was a risky strategy, especially with our precarious position and lot of fans already calling for his head.

and out of the bottom three is the limit of your ambition ?it certainly isn;t that ofthe club - see Bowkett''s previous remarksas to other managers OI have never called for the appointment ofbthos you name and just as I find the crime of rape abhorrent it doesn''t mean I can be associated with those who would have rapists publically castrated ...... you must stop making stuff up young nutty and reply to what somebody actually posts

[quote user="grefstad"]In the case of Bassong´s dropping at Soton, yes.

Fer injury explains some, yes. Apart from that...well...[/quote]because they didn’t win the game, so why do they deserve a 2nd go?the players that played yesterday should keep their place for the next match.. if that means a better player missing out.. tough!you stick with a successful formula until it doesn’t work

LDC hits that nail on the head, plus obviously the management are also chosing different players depending on the team we are up against. What we all dont know is exactly what he has to pick from each week,there are I am sure many times when players have a knock and we dont know about it...and the usual flack goes the way of CH for not starting a certain player or starting one when in reality he hasnt had much choice. I love the way Bradley Johnson moves between hero to zero on a regular basis yet Wes regardless of how he plays is a hero every time he plays........ 

or more like he has had a ''hissy fit'' with them in trainingor did Becchio suddenly become good (coincidentally when he hit out in the press) ?or RVW has outplayed Hooper to keep him out ?Pilkington has become rubbish ?No, Hughton uses the first team selection as a means of maintaining discipline rather than picking players on meritif the guff about a player having a nock had any worth then why are these supposed  injured'' players sat on the bench and why has there constantly been the need for players to tell the media that there is no disharmony'' within the squad relating to Hughton ........... and why do the media keep asking

[quote user="City1st"]and out of the bottom three is the limit of your ambition ?it certainly isn;t that ofthe club - see Bowkett''s previous remarksas to other managers OI have never called for the appointment ofbthos you name and just as I find the crime of rape abhorrent it doesn''t mean I can be associated with those who would have rapists publically castrated ...... you must stop making stuff up young nutty and reply to what somebody actually posts

[/quote]

Stop making stuff up and then wittering on about it City1st. You have no idea what my ambitions are.

Yesterdays game was a good performance and good reesult. Other games we''ve played equally well and had poor result. Think back to the Cardiff game. We were equally as good but missed chances and their goalkeeper was excellent. If he''d been in goal for Sunderland yesterday and played like that it wouldn''t have surprised me if he''d saved both goals. Then you wouldn''t be so chirpy about these different tactics you seem to have seen.