Sign in to follow this  
Mellow Yellow

Hughton Stay In

So many factors in football.

It''s like life. people can''t deal with all it''s complexities, so want simple solutions: "it''s the immigrants", "it''s the Tory Scum", " it''s the benefit cheats", "it''s the homosexuals" ...........

Or in this case "it''s Hootun".

It''s perfectly natural. You have to simplify your world model or you''d never make any decisions at all. But of course, the more factors you can include - & rank correctly - the more successful you will be.

So, to me, there is far too much emphasis on the role of the manager in performances. One factor that always gets decried as an ''excuse'' is injuries. While it''s true that all clubs have injuries to players, the nature & timing of these is crucial. With a squad such as ours we have a particular problem. It''s not that we have one irreplaceable player, but that they are inconsistent, so when one loses form his natural backup isn''t available.

I also think our players simply cannot keep up the level of energy they need to compete in this division. I''ve lost count of the number of times when the commentator has said " & Norwich have started by far the brighter of the two teams....." By the second half it''s a different story.

Another unmentionable factor is sheer luck. While it''s probably true that lucky incidents more or less cancel out over a season, the timing is critical; being gifted 2 goals by Southampton is useless when you''re 3 down with 10 minutes to go.

So is Hughton blameless? Of course not. He doesn''t always play a bad hand well for one thing. He doesn''t instill that self-belief in players that they''re better than they are (unlike a certain previous manager ....), mainly because he doesn''t believe it himself. You can see his unspoken message to the team is: "look, you know you''re not good enough, I know you''re not good enough, but if you''re cautious disciplined, concentrate, keep your shape,& snatch the odd goal, we might just scrape through".

So perhaps to be a better manager he needs a team he can really believe in. I suspect he was desperately disappointed not to get the players he wanted in the summer. But supposing he did this coming summer?? .........

So could he yet come good? I haven''t a clue.

"As flies to wanton boys are we to th'' gods. They kill us for their sport ........."

If CH keps us up he must/should stay, after all thats his job remit is it not?

But relegation would be total failure and he should go, its that simple.

No, the clubs target was 10th. Bowkett made that clear in the summer. He shouldn''t have done, but he did. When our performances and results suffered badly they altered this target from 10th to just staying up, which means at least 17th, I suppose.

Hughton is as good as gone, whatever happens between now and May. And rightly so too.

I would much prefer CH as manager than some of the unsavoury alternatives that have been put forward.

It is also the case that, after two difficult seasons, CH should be better equipped to improve next year and the same should be true for those players signed last summer who haven''t quite fulfilled expectations.

I''d like to see a more positive approach as we seem to go into some games in a very negative mindset and, at times, this has been exacerbated by premature and overly-defensive substitutions. 

It would be nice to see us go into the Swansea, WBA & Fulham games if not necessarily with the same teams at least with the same positive approach as was shown yesterday. 

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]

Hughton is as good as gone, whatever happens between now and May. And rightly so too.[/quote]

Change the record......does nothing please you about recent performances?  No improvements seen at all?   Did we play well yesterday? Did we play well against Spurs?  Did we start well against Villa?  Did we play well against Man City?  Did we get a point out of a Stoke team who shut the doors after getting a dubious penalty and down to ten men?   Did not yesterday show that the team under Hughton are still up for it?  In recent weeks we have had  just one really poor match - last week against Southampton, although we had no answer to Villa once they got ahead. The rest should give even the most fervent of doubters some reason to feel positive. 

It doesn''t take a rocket scientist to see that our best games under Hughton have always been where the players are seemingly given more freedom to play instead of the rigid, defensive tactic employed 95% of the time.Matches such as WBA and Man City last season, games like yesterday this season - all games where the players have clearly shown that they''re much more comfortable being given a bit more leeway and room to breath in their style of play.All Hughton needed to do is let them play more like this against the sides nearer the bottom half, and restricting his more defensive approach to when we play the likes of Chelsea etc.My issue with Hughton has never been about the man himself, but the overly defensive, cautious approach to games which seems to strip players of self-confidence and belief, and leaves us looking as bad as Stoke did under Pulis in far too many games.I think there are a number of good alternatives out there, and that Hughton had his chance this season to prove he could play better, more attractive (and effective) football and he''s failed at that - even if he keeps us up in the process, but I simply cannot stomach another season of the turgid dross we''ve seen for the vast majority of the last 2 years...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]It doesn''t take a rocket scientist to see that our best games under Hughton have always been where the players are seemingly given more freedom to play instead of the rigid, defensive tactic employed 95% of the time.Matches such as WBA and Man City last season, games like yesterday this season - all games where the players have clearly shown that they''re much more comfortable being given a bit more leeway and room to breath in their style of play.All Hughton needed to do is let them play more like this against the sides nearer the bottom half, and restricting his more defensive approach to when we play the likes of Chelsea etc.My issue with Hughton has never been about the man himself, but the overly defensive, cautious approach to games which seems to strip players of self-confidence and belief, and leaves us looking as bad as Stoke did under Pulis in far too many games.I think there are a number of good alternatives out there, and that Hughton had his chance this season to prove he could play better, more attractive (and effective) football and he''s failed at that - even if he keeps us up in the process, but I simply cannot stomach another season of the turgid dross we''ve seen for the vast majority of the last 2 years...[/quote]

^^^

Sums up how I feel about the guy.

Cannot do the right stuff consistently enough to really be our best managerial option.