Sign in to follow this  
Wiz

The hotel kills the atmosphere.

Sound and passion just drifts out at that eyesore stuck in the corner of our beloved home. It cuts the attendence figure down and blocks any hope of a ''completed'' stadium for the future.

I hate it, can we not just blow it up?[;)]

It must make a small difference to the atmosphere, but many clubs dont have all their corners filled and manage a great atmosphere. I have, whilst not particularly liked it, accepted that it is an assett to the club and it adds to the mix of the club not just having a football stadium that can only generate revenue once or twice every two weeks. In addition, when the decision was made the club was really in difficult times and made a decision to help finances. That all said, its not the best looking of buildings when viewed from inside the ground and the architect surely cannot be proud of his efforts. Perhaps a few seats and a large tv screen to hide it would help....or, what has been suggested before, modify it so that the pitch facing rooms are better suited for match days and become a hospitality option............so, kills the atmosphere.......not really.......the idiots that boo do that unfortunately.     

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]Hapless hughtons tactics and plastics like Herman are the ruin of our once great club[/quote]

[:D]

[quote user="pablofarmer"]What was there before?

Wasn''t it just a hole?[/quote]yep, there have never been any spectators there and in the good old bad old days of the old Barclay, neither adjacent corners were filled.

[quote user="K Lo"][quote user="pablofarmer"]What was there before? Wasn''t it just a hole?[/quote]

yep, there have never been any spectators there and in the good old bad old days of the old Barclay, neither adjacent corners were filled.
[/quote]

You are wrong mate as in the days of the old Barclay terracing there was what was called the South Stand corner terracing which was used for home support but on the odd occasion of a large away following for visitors.

Barclay End

Not a good photo but clearly you can see the roof line continuing from the Websters advertising sign around to the South stand roof which is just visible.

[quote user="Simple Jack"]The floodlight pylon came down on to the terracing in that corner.[/quote]

[Y]

terracing which was used for home support but on the odd occasion of a large away following for visitors.

Til, in those days didn''t the away fans have the river end?

[quote user="slartyblartfast"]terracing which was used for home support but on the odd occasion of a large away following for visitors. Til, in those days didn''t the away fans have the river end?[/quote]

Well I have been going since 1963 and I have never known visitors to allocated the River End.

[quote user="slartyblartfast"]Ah OK was just wondering, had a vague idea they did. Have they always been where they are now?[/quote]

The Barclay held both home and away support divided by what used to be called a" pen" like a pig pen...lol

The home support occupied the city stand side and away support the south stand side(Jarrold). Back then the Barclay was just a giant shed with a corrugated roof (who remembers the Man u fan falling through the roof) and could be a bit of a squeeze especially when all the fencing went up at the front. Seemed like fun back then but not sure I''d want to be in there at my age now.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="slartyblartfast"]terracing which was used for home support but on the odd occasion of a large away following for visitors. Til, in those days didn''t the away fans have the river end?[/quote]

Well I have been going since 1963 and I have never known visitors to allocated the River End.

[/quote]

I might be wrong but didn''t an away team get the upper tier of the River End stand shortly after it was finished? I seem to recall Spurs gobbing on our fans? This might be complete rubbish but somethng in the back of my mind....

I''ve refrained from this thread as long as I can.........but..........

The hotel is an issue that is not going to be solved overnight.  If the hotel is ever refurbished however, there have been several discussions over the years and some ideas put forward that could change the facade and even incorporate viewing balconies, with a seating at the lower level.    If anyone is interested who has not seen it  - and has two days to spare [:S] - this makes "interesting" reading...................       http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2931295/ShowPost.aspx[;)]

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

I might be wrong but didn''t an away team get the upper tier of the River End stand shortly after it was finished? I seem to recall Spurs gobbing on our fans? This might be complete rubbish but somethng in the back of my mind....

[/quote]

It was the Barclay Upper just after the new Barclay was built and it was used by Coventry fans for a cup replay but as you say gobbing and throwing objects into the home support below some showed it to be a big mistake.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I''ve refrained from this thread as long as I can.........but..........

The hotel is an issue that is not going to be solved overnight.  If the hotel is ever refurbished however, there have been several discussions over the years and some ideas put forward that could change the facade and even incorporate viewing balconies, with a seating at the lower level.    If anyone is interested who has not seen it  - and has two days to spare [:S] - this makes "interesting" reading...................       http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2931295/ShowPost.aspx[/quote]Now that was a real Me-athon Lakey. [:''(]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It was the Barclay Upper just after the new Barclay was built and it was used by Coventry fans for a cup replay but as you say gobbing and throwing objects into the home support below some showed it to be a big mistake.

[/quote]

Of course, you are right Til. It all starts to fade into a blur after a while. I was probably there.