Sign in to follow this  
blacko

Next season

What are your thoughts about squad improvements? If we do go down I would be happy with what we have. If we stay up I think we must buy people with experience in the Premier league, or at least English football. I think the continentals take too long to adjust and that has been part of our problem this season.

We do have a nucleus of a good team, so we don''t need to add too many players, but we do need decent reserves. When players were injured this season we really suffered.

Green, Shackell, Francis, Huckerby, Ashton and Mckenzie, there is a backbone for any side.

I think problems over squad depth were sorted last summer when Worthington brought in lots of players on the cheap, rather than invest in two or three excellent players. Like you say, we have the nucleus of a good side, but we do need to invest in two or three areas. Primarily, centre back - Fleming has had a poor season and at his age isn''t going to improve much, if at all. Also, Safri has proven himself to be a pivotal player in the side but he does have a history of injury problems (as his spell on the sidelines this season demonstrates). We need somebody who can do a similar job, as Gary Holt lacks the bite in the tackle and the passing ability to really dictate the game from deep. If Francis were to go (as is rumoured), then we''d need another midfielder as well.

The other problem is the right side of midfield. I like Jonson, but must concede that he hasn''t made the position his own. If we could turn the Bentley deal into a permanent one then I''d be delighted. If we can''t, then this situation needs almost as much attention as the centre back fiasco. And one for the future - with two right backs both well into their 30s, we could do with finding someone to eventually fill Helveg''s boots.

So in total, I think we need 3 players minimum, but possibly up to 5 if need be. Let''s hope Worthy gets a bigger transfer budget this season!

we really do suffer blacko.

we have one of the smallest squads in the premier league or the champ.

I would just like to see some back-up brung in, and a decent right-midfielder

----------green-----------
helveg-new*-shackel-drury
--------Safri-------------
-NEW--------Francis-----
-----------------Huckerby
----Ashton---Mckenzie----

*realisticly either charlton or doherty could fill this gap, but a youngish player that will last needs to be brought in.

But if you look at your list Blacko, only Hucks has had any real Prem experience in the past. Add Saffri to that list and it seems that the biggest successes of the season have little or no Prem experience and come from lower clubs. Where are Charlton and Stuart now? Two other `big club` rejects in Mulryne and Mcveigh look like being released and Bentleys attitude is,shall we say,suspect.

I see what you are saying about being used to English football though-Jonsson hasnt shown much and Helveg,after a terrible start,has only recently started showing what a great player he is.

I`m much happier seeing City cream off the best players of lower league or relegated clubs,its generally worked in the past and seems to be working now. The club usually has to fork out less in wages and you seem to get more effort and a better attitude for your money.

How about Gabbidon from Cardiff? Was very highly rated a few seasons ago and seems to be stuck in a club going nowhere. Maybe a fresh challenge at a more upwardly mobile club would bring the best out of him. Cardiff have financial problems as well so we should be able to pick him up fairly cheap.

''Continentals take too long to adjust'' - especially when mismanaged; but thats another discussion.

We do have the nucleus of a good side for next year in the prem

Green

Helveg   ANOther  Shacks   Drury

ANother  Safri      Damo     ANOther

Ashton   Hux

I would argue that if we could sign Bentley, get Jonson to play going forward and played charlton then we have a decent starting 11 that will get us to mid table of the prem; all of those are down to worthy.  

Good squad players

Ward, Eddie, Brennan, Leon, Sven, Jonson

Add a bit of youth with Crow Jarvis and hopefully another coming though and the core is there.

What we are missing though is good depth of cover for loss of form or injuries, particularly in midfield (a creative central midfielder would give us real options) and central defence with Charlton being the invisible man and Flem & Doc not being up to the task. 

Players to lose

Flem, Mullers, Holt, Charlton (if Worthys not going to play him:mad Doc (also outplayed Flem but ''out of favour'' coz he didnt want to play up front - has flem ever been asked to do that?) McVeigh, Stuart, Henderson

OTBC

OTBC