Sign in to follow this  
ingi

fao Iwan moaners

This lad has got a bit of stick over the past few months, and i''m DISGUSTED that the fickle fans get on his back!!. The guy is a legend and he has gave so much to this football club!!, if it wasnt for his goals over the past seasons i doubt we would be in this position let alone div1. His a great servent to the club and always gives 100%. I just hope he gets another year at this club

otbc

Iwan was top class as he has always been.all you moaners,get off his back.he has carried this club for years on his own back.leave the guy alone, give him a break.i for one feel this club would have been in big trouble many a time if not for the big man.

Yeah he definately deserves it. He''s now joint top scorer with 6 alongside Hucks and considering how much he has played hes got a pretty class goal per game ratio. He''s got 6 to go before he reaches the 100 mark for us in goals scored so he has to hit that milestone. Hes got to be a candidate to start against Wimbledon. But with Svensson coming back and McKenzie not playing today it will be a difficult decision 4 Worthy.

I think keeping him hungry is a masterstroke by NW. Don''t start him every game, and then when he plays he''s desperate to score and to affect the game.

Must admit I must eat a bit of humble pie in the fact that I have stated openly that Robbo is well past his best - a really good performance yesterday showing that we can perm 2 from 4 genuinely good strikers for the run - in to the season, no need to do a Megga and sign anyone that comes along.

He had his best game for quite a while yesterday - he won most of his aerial battles, linked up well with Huckerby and took his goal really well. What I''m interested in is who these moaners are - I don''t think there''s anyone who doesn''t appreciate the service Iwan has given this club and we are all grateful for the goals that have kept us in this division. I think people just say that he''s not as sharp as he used to be - his touch isn''t what it was, etc. Which, until yesterday, I''d agree with. But I don''t think there are any "moaners" as such, just people that have observed a decline in his performances. But yesterday''s showing was the Iwan and a couple more performances like that this year and I can''t see any reason why he can''t hit 100 goals for the club before the season is over.

Sorry to say i was one of the one''s who doubted the big man and was genuinly worried that if he carried on how he was then he would get stick of the crowd and people would forget what he has done for our great club.

But Iwan was pure class yesterday and he was even in a different league from Hucks yesterday.

Well played big guy.

P.S i saw Iwan in Mercy last night and so wish i had the bootle to have spoken to him.

Iwan Iwan..

I put my hands up as one of those who have suggested that Iwan is not the same force this season as previously. I stand by that opinion on the balance of his performances so far this season and as one of the clubs top performers remain of the view that he is one of the few to fully justify his wages so far this season.

However I am happy to admit he was superb yesterday. I felt he was our MOM(not Francis who only performed, superbly, for the second 45 mins) - he was committed for 90 mins, lead the line superbly, won his best proportion of aerial ball since Wimbledon at the start of the season, caused Page problems with his pace and power, (yes I did mean pace - OK that may say as much about Page as Iwan...) and took his only chance well.

All respect to our playing legend.

OTNC

Fact is, since the play-off season, when he was great, Iwan took his foot off the gas and cruised. He stopped getting in where it hurts, and seemed happy with semi-retirement. Now he''s got a sniff of the Premiership and he wants another year. I never doubted his ability nor his contribution in previous seasons, but you have to be honest and say that from the play-off season until the loan players arrived this season, he didn''t perform as he can. He''s getting much better service now with Hucks in the side, and he can see the point of trying.

He was my MOM too yesterday. I haven''t see him play that well for 90 minutes for a long while. Long may it last. He was full of intelligent flick-ons and lay-offs, and he deserved a goal, though I''d like to have seen Hux get that one, and Iwan get another one - what a run by the Dazzler!!

There are some very good observations on this thread but I have to say most of the players in the team have had a rougher ride with moans than Iwan Roberts. It is not moaning to state that on 26th June he will enter his 37th year, it is a fact. What I think annoys many supporters is the claim that Iwan has carried this club single handed, which I think is an insult to the likes of Craig Fleming, Robert Green, Paul McVeigh, Adam Drury etc..

Well done to Iwan for yesterday. Unfortunately I tend to agree with Intenso, as you get older you find you can''t keep up the pace as well as you used to. I know that I can''t and next season we should be in the premiership, Roberts will be a year older and up against premiership defenders.

Hats off to the big man on saturday, apart from pointing out the sad truth.ie. he''s getting to old, I don''t believe I''ve ever slated him.

But a new contract?, well thats another matter, when, not if, we go up this season, of course he deserves a kick or two at least in the top flight. So how about putting him on a rolling monthly contract?, at 37 years old, I believe thats the most city should be prepared to offer him, or indeed he should expect.

I''m sorry if thats sounds rather harsh and ungrateful especially in light of Iwan''s sterling service for the club in the past, and also this season come to that, but Norwich are a professional club, and in that respect emotions must not be allowed to cloud the fact that I believe, he will struggle in the premier, and city''s survival must be the first priority.

Wiz, I am proud to say that I completely agree with you. He was up against a half decent defence at Everton and they took him to the cleaners. Whilst I think he has been a driving force at this club - and possibly responsible, many times, for keeping us in this division - I''m not sure that he could play a part next season.
Iwan had a blinder on Saturday, but it''s no coincidence that he''d had two weeks rest. I bet he''ll be useless if he starts next Saturday. I really hope he gets his hundred goals, and he will if we use him sparingly. He''s becoming our Niall Quinn - always good to see but not enough to rely on. As one of the highest paid players, I think it would be foolish to put him on a new contract when we aren''t going to get many games out of him whether we''re in the Premier or not. We could use that money to lure/pay a promising younger player, or keep the many that we have. Time to move on...

How about a coaching contract? That way he avoids the ignominity of warming the bench all the time, but we still reward him for all he''s done - albeit not as substantial as a playing contract. After all, although he has been a great norwich player, it''s not as if he''s been without fault (threatening to run off to a couple of other clubs, a seriously dodgy season last year) and it would be foolish to pay a very rich man a lot of money just for sentimental reasons.

There are many threads here that I would agree with, mostly from first wiz, I do think that after all is said and done Roberts has only done what he has been very well paid for. I am in favour of Mooks'' suggestion of a rolling and reduced contract in favour of so much per goal scored. After all, he swanned along on a protected contract for most of last season doing very little and complained that the legs were not quite what they were. This new lease of life must be due to something, and I think it is the fading value of what was a very good servant now putting in value for money. This is all we can ask of any one, so long may it last.