Sign in to follow this  
AidanC

Championship players

As we aren''t the richest club in the world and prefer to grow/develop our players - which championship players would you like to see come to the club? I don''t think we need another striker but if in the summer that situation arrives maybe McCormack or Ings ?

I think we definitely need another striker AidanC. I''m not sure if the Championship is necessarily the best place to find one, but if we were looking for a striker in the Championship I would look at Ings, Charlie Austin and Jordan Rhodes.

If we were looking for a goalscoring midfielder then Bryson at Derby might be a shout - I think he''s got 15 from midfield this season.

Championship players cost more than established internationals from Europe these days. The cheap option is to do scouting in Holland, Spain, France, Italy etc.

I''m sure a Premier League club will try to sign Jordan Rhodes again in the summer, and they''ll be quoted the price Blackburn were holding out for last summer - £10m.

Problem is that presumes that all players are the samethey are notthe club puts great store on the players aptitude and off field behavioursure you can have a great player ...... but he may well be a disruptive ar se, who will leave at the first sign of better moneycheck why so many who have signed have stayed ''loyal'' and stayed out of trouble

Amazed that none of you have mentioned the best player in the Championship by far, Will Hughes of Derby.

I think he will be coveted by a lot of big clubs, but he will surely be chosing a team where he can expect to play.

Maybe he would be good for us. A replacement for Hoolahan should he leave.

Would likely cost a lot, but negoatiate it with a hefty sell-on clause, and it could be possible,

The question is, would the cautious Hughton dare to play a young talent?

No doubt Poccetino at Soton would.

[quote user="grefstad"]Amazed that none of you have mentioned the best player in the Championship by far, Will Hughes of Derby. I think he will be coveted by a lot of big clubs, but he will surely be chosing a team where he can expect to play. Maybe he would be good for us. A replacement for Hoolahan should he leave. Would likely cost a lot, but negoatiate it with a hefty sell-on clause, and it could be possible, The question is, would the cautious Hughton dare to play a young talent? No doubt Poccetino at Soton would.[/quote]

Will Hughes will cost someone £12m- £15m (and that''s if Derby aren''t promoted). Think he is destined for a Chelsea, Liverpool etc of the world and Norwich wouldn''t have much of a chance. If he wants regular first team football he''ll just stay at Derby.

Hughton has proven in the past that he''s happy to play young players if they are good enough - he brought Redmond through at Birmingham and has given him plenty of game time this season, he also pushed Carroll into the limelight whilst at Newcastle. Don''t think Hughton is lacking when it comes to youth development.

Agreed, Bethnal.

But Hughes, if he goes to a big club, will not get much gametime, unless it is a develping club like Southampton, or maybe even Swansea, perhaps Everton.

Clubs like us, seemingly "destined" to scrap it out in the lower half of the league each year, would be more cautious in playing young players, unless a more daring manager comes in.

Yes, Hughes would command a fee of at least 10 mill, but there could be workarounds on the fee, like installments, sell on fees, etc.

But it is maybe too much of a gamble for us, as we would likely have a transfer kitty of, lets say, 25-30 mill next season, if we stay up.

[quote user="grefstad"]Agreed, Bethnal. But Hughes, if he goes to a big club, will not get much gametime, unless it is a develping club like Southampton, or maybe even Swansea, perhaps Everton. Clubs like us, seemingly "destined" to scrap it out in the lower half of the league each year, would be more cautious in playing young players, unless a more daring manager comes in. Yes, Hughes would command a fee of at least 10 mill, but there could be workarounds on the fee, like installments, sell on fees, etc. But it is maybe too much of a gamble for us, as we would likely have a transfer kitty of, lets say, 25-30 mill next season, if we stay up.[/quote]

The thing with Will Hughes is, at his age, if Arsenal, Chelsea et al sign him he is still young enough to be classified as a ''club trained player'' in three years time. That means this summer is the point when his fee will be the highest it will be until he reaches his full potential. Summer 2015 will see his value half as it will be too late for clubs to make him ''club trained'' and he''ll only have a year left on his contract.

Although there are work arounds Norwich could do to meet a large fee, why would Derby negotiate when they know a team like Chelsea or Man U will just pay most of the money up front.

Norwich need 3 or 4 players who can come in and make a contribution straight away - spending a massive chunk of the transfer kitty on an 19 year old would be reckless.

A couple of good loans is another option;   someone like van ginkel from chelsea could be an option for example

Re; Will Hughes. Liverpool have first dibs on him. It was part of the deal that sent Andre Wisdom to Derby. I highly doubt there would be any chance of signing him.

Ings won''t be happening, given that he''s pretty much promoted with Burnley as it is.

Hughes would be a nice buy. I do think we need someone who sits deeper and we should be playing 4-4-1-1.

Perhaps McCormack fancies a go at the premiership. He''s one that puts a shift in and can work his own opportunities. Not always the best finisher surprisingly though.

Don''t think i''d want Rhodes for £10m. Maybe we could get Mitroglu and give him a proper preseason or Steven Fletcher?

if we stay up i would love us to sign jamaal lascelles , future england captain, would cost 7m plus, just signed a 4 year contract

Talking of future England, Nathaniel Chalobah has to be mentioned. The guy is a class act. Perhaps Chelsea would let us have him for the year next season? Kei could put in a good word.

I agree with chalobah - perfect for our team with young prospects - also Jim Mitroglou would definately want out of a championship season, I''m still confused why he signed for a relegation contending team, an absolute class striker if we could snap him up on loan until Fulham are up would most likely be a tidy investment

Comes with a bit of baggage, Ravel Morrison looks like he could be available. Not officially a Championship player as he''s on loan at qpr. Scoring goals and playing well.