Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Two days on...

...and we are still getting the same old propaganda from the hard line outers.   No recognition of ANY recent improvements, not even a mention, in some cases (City 1st).  Same old stuff.   I am sure they are scared stiff that they will be proved wrong and they will continue with the ones sided nonsense in the hope that people will start to believe their unbalanced stuff.  

It is a mixed bag of some good and some not so good.   To pretend we''re doing fantastically well is wrong too if course, but I''ve not seen anyone say everything is fine.  No. Just a simple recognition that there is some good stuff to report.  How about our home record?

Two days on from our best performance of the season - maybe best since we got to the premiership.  Almost total domination of possession and control of the game.   Building on our successes against ManCity and Spurs and our home record - something we should be proud of - and give the manager credit for.   But no.  Its  ManCity were poor. Spurs were poor. Sunderland were poor.........change the record, please.

We should be celebrating the good win and looking forward to the trip to Swansea where we have a good record - remind me what happened in that horrible dour poor season we had last year - now let me see......oh yes - 4 goals away from home.  My my, how unhughtonesque.  Recently we looked to attack in the games against West ham and Cardiff and we took that game to Villa but were overun.  Southampton were just too good. So the "boring"  away tag doesn''t hold water any more either.  

Get a grip guys.  Its not all good but its not as half as bad as you make out.   Don''t worry. If Hughton stays on next season because he has been successful this season we won''t hold it against you that you were wrong.  No one is perfect.......................

As much as I want to believe your rallting cry, LDC, I would like to see the Swansea game first. If we get something, after playing well, I am inclined to belive we have finally turned the corner.

Chances are, though, that we will be "overrun" by a hungry Swans side, we will play our usual dour away game, Hughton will select Johnson in a defensive midfield 5, and your excuses here will be: "Swans were just to good, support the manager".

[quote user="grefstad"]As much as I want to believe your rallting cry, LDC, I would like to see the Swansea game first. If we get something, after playing well, I am inclined to belive we have finally turned the corner.

Chances are, though, that we will be "overrun" by a hungry Swans side, we will play our usual dour away game, Hughton will select Johnson in a defensive midfield 5, and your excuses here will be: "Swans were just to good, support the manager".[/quote]

Well I look to our last  four away games and see what the line ups were and the attacking intent.  Cardiff and West Ham - attacking intent in abundance.  Aston Villa - attacking intent as shown by the early play - Villa proved too good in the end.   Southampton - a poor showing, I''d agree.   The "usual dour away game" is not the way we set out to play.   That we weren''t good enough to fight back once behind is something else, but the intent is there to attack.  It just doesn''t always turn out how we would like.

Go on then LDC I have some straws here you can clutch at......

I think you got the order of the words wrong in your last sentence.

shouldn''t it be

"it always just doesn''t turn out how we would like"

"Villa proved too good in the end"

No. Why is it so hard for people to see? When we score first, we IMMEDIATELY change the way we play - we stop pressing high, we go narrower, our full backs don''t push on, we pass inside and sideways. Because that is what this management team instruct the players to do.

We actually did it again on Saturday as soon as we scored the first one. The second goal was a fluke (a fabulous shot, but a fluke) and did not come about from inventive attacking play. This gave us a little bit more confidence but, trust me, if Wes Brown''s header had gone in, it would have been a completely different game.

So thank John Ruddy for the 3 points rather than Chris Hughton - whose time is most definitely up, whether we stay up or go down.

I don''t expect anything at Swansea other than a 3-0 defeat.

Funny that, because I thought that Tettey''s goal came from an attacking move involving a lot of passes in forward areas.

Do you actually truly, genuinely believe that we stopped attacking after our first goal on Saturday? From memory, we had Howson''s shot that was saved, ironically from a fullback getting forward and laying it off to him, Howson''s audacious attempt from near halfway, and then Ricky who missed a sitter. As far as I am aware all of these were after the first goal and before the second.

It beggars belief - people moan that we shut up shop after our first goal, and then when we actually carry on with attacking intent people pretend it hasn''t happened!

I''m seriously beginning to think this poster (Lake District Canary)  needs some help. I feel a guilt that we are all collectively allowing an obvious medical condition  go un treated. Can anyone really be so obsessive as to start thread after thread , about the same things, over and over again? Day or night? Rain or shine?

I have this image of a man (of indeterminate age) rocking back and forth typing furiously on a keyboard , chattering incoherently to himself , and pausing only when he hears a noise outside in the street. Was it a cat? Or have they come to get him?

I cannot imagine the hell this person must be going through. And if anything happens to him before we notify the authorities, we will only have ourselves to blame.

But it is a fact that in almost all games (perhaps except for Sunderland) where we have gone in front, we "never" seem to go for the second goal. And if we are 2 up, we certainly never go for the third under Hughton.

Thats a fact.

Failing to kill the game off when we are on top usually makes for a nervy finale, and when things dont go our way, Hughton explains his usual stuff to the media: "We should have taken our chances, how we did not win this game I don''t know, etc".

Now, there is a fine balance between attacking headlessly and staying compact and calm, I agree.

But it is clear to me that under Hughton we have lost a lot of urgency, a lot of attacking intent, and this has cost us a lot of potential points.

That is also why me, and the majority of posters in this forum, and I dare to say, the majority of fans overall, want Hughton gone as soon as practically possible (meaning in the mid/end of May).

I don''t see where the Sunderland game is any different to the other home games against bottom clubs. People are just blinded by the fact we scored 2 goals. We played with the same intent throughout other games at home this season. Whatabout Cardiff which is roundly criticised on here yet had the Marshall of that day been in goal for Sunderland on Saturday that would have been 0-0 too.

have I got a bit too close dear boy ?amongst all those making fun of you, why me in particular ?could it be that I know ?

How many people actually read LDC''s posts?

And when will Archant replace ''post count'' with word count so we can all hail the real king of the forum and knock Morty off his perch?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I don''t see where the Sunderland game is any different to the other home games against bottom clubs. People are just blinded by the fact we scored 2 goals. We played with the same intent throughout other games at home this season. Whatabout Cardiff which is roundly criticised on here yet had the Marshall of that day been in goal for Sunderland on Saturday that would have been 0-0 too.

[/quote]

I can see your point but don''t think he''d have managed to stop Tettey''s goal !

I don''t agree that we never seem to go for it. We never get it, but there are a variety of factors - mainly involving confidence. In fact, thinking about it, in most recent games where we have gone ahead there were opportunities to extend our lead.

Also, when we were 2-0 up at the weekend I recall Ricky missing a decent header pretty soon afterwards, so I''m not sure how that equates to "certainly never" going for a third. Perhaps I dreamt it.

Seems to me that a lot of people are so focused on the removal of Hughton it doesn''t matter that as he is learning and improving he could, in fact, "tick all the boxes" for them in terms of style and loyalty to the club. They will just make stuff up or refer back to previous games to make their point.

ps knocking off from work so do play nicelyand to those still fooled by LDC do wake up, it should be obvious by now. shouldn''t it ?

LDC/City1st both need to play the ball and not the man, but the former certainly takes a lot of flack just for having a different opinion.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I can see your point but don''t think he''d have managed to stop Tettey''s goal !

[/quote]

Perhaps we''d have beat Cardiff 1-0 if Tettey had tried it in that game then[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Its Character Forming"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Perhaps we''d have beat Cardiff 1-0 if Tettey had tried it in that game then[;)]

[/quote]

Yes, I remember Tettey scoring a cracking goal soon after he joined us - was it in the League Cup ?  And last season I think it was his shot vs Arsenal which the keeper could only push out for Holt to score.  Not perfect - I think he got one into row ZZ vs Spurs - but I''d be happy for him to try a few more shots from range than he does.

It''s no coincidence that Tettey coming back from injury has coincided with our excellent home form.  He can only do so much, e.g. I remember noticing at Villa that all their goals had build-ups that went around Tettey''s area in front of the CBs, but IMO he''s a massive player for us and he and Ruddy are the two most important players to stay fit for the rest of the season.

Has anyone else noticed the similarities between Safri & Tetty, the defensive steel, the rare but unforgettable goals against teams from the North East and the song.

Here we are and here we are and here we go.

Tetty''s better that Juninho

Here we goooooooooooooooo

Norwegian all over the world.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Its Character Forming"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, I remember Tettey scoring a cracking goal soon after he joined us - was it in the League Cup ?  And last season I think it was his shot vs Arsenal which the keeper could only push out for Holt to score.  Not perfect - I think he got one into row ZZ vs Spurs - but I''d be happy for him to try a few more shots from range than he does.

It''s no coincidence that Tettey coming back from injury has coincided with our excellent home form.  He can only do so much, e.g. I remember noticing at Villa that all their goals had build-ups that went around Tettey''s area in front of the CBs, but IMO he''s a massive player for us and he and Ruddy are the two most important players to stay fit for the rest of the season.

[/quote]

Tettey has had a few since then buddy. Both row zeds and corner flags. But great when they come off. People will now expect this every week, like they did Safri, but they will remain few and far between. What if Johnno''s free kick the other week had been a smidgeon lower? I still want Snoddy to take them though[;)]

I like the way you and a few others start regular threads, this board needs it, why do you get so much flack for messaging on a message board.

Two days on and I am of the view now that, whilst there will be some more twists and turns, and that all in the garden certainlyu isnt rosey,that we will stay up...simple as that......and considering that after the West Ham game I was convinced we were going down then I feel I now have enough faith in the management and team to do it. We may well suffer a couple of more dismal days, BUT.....I am certain we have the ability to bounce back and several other sides around us seem to be missing that.....  

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

I like the way you and a few others start regular threads, this board needs it, why do you get so much flack for messaging on a message board.

Two days on and I am of the view now that, whilst there will be some more twists and turns, and that all in the garden certainlyu isnt rosey,that we will stay up...simple as that......and considering that after the West Ham game I was convinced we were going down then I feel I now have enough faith in the management and team to do it. We may well suffer a couple of more dismal days, BUT.....I am certain we have the ability to bounce back and several other sides around us seem to be missing that.....  

[/quote]I''m perceived as an outsider, DM, an exile, even a troll because how can I, living three hundred miles away, have any idea about what is happening week in week out......    How dare I have a strong opinion when I don''t go to enough games to have one.................  

I make no apologies for this thread or any other I start.   There are many, many threads started with the intention of casting Hughton in a bad light - unjustly imo, a lot of the time, so why shouldn''t I start threads that show a more balanced side of things.    There is no balance to the Hughton out debates,   only "Hughton out" and if you dare to question that and make an argument, they just carry on regardless, dismissing any more balanced view with disdain and ridicule.  So every time I see people like Yellow Nets or City 1st, or any of the troll type Waveneys of this world, go on and on and on about their sordid view of things, the more it makes me want to respond and try to get people to see both sides of the argument - and there is a strong argument to persevere with Hughton, whether they like it or not.

I also stand by my view that some of them are actually worried that Hughton comes good and actually does improve things to the extent that most people are  happy with him, because it means all their wailing and whining about him will be seen as being wrong - and their type of poster hate to be seen to be wrong.   They would prefer him to fail than them be seen to be wrong.   So much for them being supporters - more worried than their precious egos than the club they are supposed to support.  

I can take the flack because most of the time, I don''t care what they say because every time they "go" for me, they just show themselves up for what they are -  loud mouthed egos who actually don''t want things to get any better because it spoils their narrow view of things. 

Disclaimer : I am talking about a very few posters, not genuinely concerned fans.

I suppose that it is natural to grasp at straws - each side are guilty.

A poor performance and the "outers" groan, and complain about bad performance. One good result, and the inners gloat.

We are surely right to note three things:

1) Sometimes we are lucky - we meet a side on an off day, or opponents make errors or have important players missing.

2) Sometimes we are unlucky - injuries, ref decisions, errors

3) Sometimes we don''t turn up, sometimes we play very well.

Leaving aside the elements of luck, although they have been important to both sides, we are left with a very inconsistent team. We have had nothing like the 10 match run of last season, but we have had a poor post-Christmas run like last year.

In the end we have to ask ourselves a question:

Are we becoming less or more consistent as the season progresses?

My personal answer is that although performance does not seem much better, we seem to be making progress at home more recently, even if away performance remains generally poor. Strikers, our biggest problem, have not improved. I have to say that Hughton, in whom I have little faith or expectation, does seem to have become more imaginative and flexible, for whatever reason. Would I want him to continue? So far, after over 30 games, I have not been impressed, but if the changes in him continue and performance becomes more consistent, I might become a little more open-minded.

This has to just be a cry for help, surely?

Someone do something to help poor LDC, it''s like accidentally driving over a rabbit, looking in your rear view mirror and one of it''s legs is still moving.

[quote user="lake district canary"] Recently we looked to attack in the games against West ham and Cardiff

and we took that game to Villa but were overun.  Southampton were just

too good. So the "boring"  away tag doesn''t hold water any more either.  

[/quote]Now, I would hate to kick a man when he''s down, and I reckon you probably are a man, but I reckon I can''t let this pass without saying this.  If you can constantly harp on about the quality of our home performances, with paragraph after paragraph laying it on thicker than Davina McCall''s make-up, and then gloss over our terrible away results with no more analysis than your lazy bag of cliches which spews out "just too good" and "were overrun" then old Bor just can''t give you any credibility.  Reckon that if you bothered to analyse why we are so godawfully diabolical away from home with the same zeal you pour into praising our home performances, you might be a bit more balanced and therefore worth reading.  As that stands, you''re the Hughtonista''s very own Daily Mail opinion column, and I don''t mean that complimentaryially.If that''s a word. That probably isn''t.

[quote user="hogesar"]This has to just be a cry for help, surely?

Someone do something to help poor LDC, it''s like accidentally driving over a rabbit, looking in your rear view mirror and one of it''s legs is still moving.[/quote]I keep a shovel in the boot of my Astra for just that reason.  Sometimes I reckon you have to know when the kindest thing is to mash the poor thing into a kind of tarmac ratatouille.Wouldn''t recommend eating that, mind.