Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Are we playing the best back four?

I know that recent results suggest that we have sorted out our defensive problems, but are we playing our best back four.  Drury is back on form, Shackell has been a revelation, Helveg has added some composure, but in my opinion Fleming is still the weak link.

Personally I think Charlton should replace Fleming, assuming he is fit and has not fallen out with the manager.  I also think that Charlton would be the ideal mentor for young Shackell to play alongside.

Cant argue with that Silver Fox as it exactly what I have been saying for montsh now, we need our best players on the pitch not warming the bench or seats in the stands -  Charlie has outperformed Flem in EVERY game that he has played, was our best defender, has prem experience yet cant even make the bench.  

But even I am reluctant to change a winning team and one that has kept two clean sheets in three games so accept that Flem will start again on Sat (god that was hard to type; I had to force my fingers to get them out!)

OTBC

I think most people already know the answer to that question. I would prefer Charlton in most cases and bring in Dogherty when playing taller opposition.

[quote]I know that recent results suggest that we have sorted out our defensive problems, but are we playing our best back four. Drury is back on form, Shackell has been a revelation, Helveg has added some ...[/quote]

i agree, Flem isnt playing at his best.

I said in another topic, after this season, i want to bring in a new youngish centre half that will last.

Helveg has really earnt his place, dury is back on track, who can complain about shackell, but flem is still a worry.

We replace him with Charlton, experiance, fast and good at headers despite his lack of height, but whats he gunna do against a giant like Crouch.

Doherty, only takes one mistake to make his confidence drop like mad, tall but sometimes comes across as a bit lazy, bit slow and getting on in age.

Really none of those appeal, i really think we need a new player.

[quote]i agree, Flem isnt playing at his best. I said in another topic, after this season, i want to bring in a new youngish centre half that will last. Helveg has really earnt his place, dury is back on t...[/quote]

What is anyone going to do against Crouch? - even player at 6 foot 2 has an enormous disadvantage and I can only think of Gardner and Knight who can match crouchs height.

But Crouch has been marked out of games before which suggests its about how you play him rather than how tall you are.  As tumbleweed points out stopping high balls into him is one way, closing down people he is laying off to another and keeping close physically to make it difficult to keep balanced also works.  Charlie and Doc would both do a better job on crouch than flem, but because they are better defenders rather than better in the air or taller.

OTBC  

Would agree that flem is not on form, but I think the fact that he is the only one out of him, charlton and doherty that trained with him last season is important. Maybe he is in a better position than those two to know the best way to defend against him?

Its not really the time to criticise the defence as they have undoubtedly played their part in our 11/12 pts haul (I''ll conveniently forget the 3 goals conceded at CP).

I do agree that Charlton was our best performer in central defence prior to Shackell. He was poor at left back though although this was probably due to the lack of defensive cover at the time from left midfield. 

I''m not sure though of the wisdom of replacing Fleming with Charlton as we''ll end up with 3 very left-footed defenders. By the way, isn''t it his turn to be the unused substitute defender this week?

Helveg still worries me every time he tries to play the ball out of trouble. I think he''s been lucky not to have been punished doing this at least once every match. And he looks vulnerable to a a full-on winger usually resulting in a crude challenge. Apologies for not joining the Helveg bandwagon...just yet.

Shackell has been a revelation and perhaps some credit for this could be attributed to Fleming ?

Its not really the time to criticise the defence as they have undoubtedly played their part in our 11/12 pts haul (I''ll conveniently forget the 3 goals conceded at CP).

I do agree that Charlton was our best performer in central defence prior to Shackell. He was poor at left back though although this was probably due to the lack of defensive cover at the time from left midfield. 

I''m not sure though of the wisdom of replacing Fleming with Charlton as we''ll end up with 3 very left-footed defenders. By the way, isn''t it his turn to be the unused substitute defender this week?

Helveg still worries me every time he tries to play the ball out of trouble. I think he''s been lucky not to have been punished doing this at least once every match. And he looks vulnerable to a a full-on winger usually resulting in a crude challenge. Apologies for not joining the Helveg bandwagon...just yet.

Shackell has been a revelation and perhaps some credit for this could be attributed to Fleming ?

p.s. Doherty is a non-starter for me.

[quote]i agree, Flem isnt playing at his best. I said in another topic, after this season, i want to bring in a new youngish centre half that will last. Helveg has really earnt his place, dury is back on t...[/quote]

I know it''s very tempting not to mess with a winning side...But I honestly feel that Doc''s presence will be needed against the likes of Crouch. Doc and Shackell is surely the centre partnership of the future, both being young talented footballers Well...doc''s good in the air.

[quote]I know it''s very tempting not to mess with a winning side...But I honestly feel that Doc''s presence will be needed against the likes of Crouch. Doc and Shackell is surely the centre partnership of the...[/quote]

have to agree its better not to mess with a winning side, its worked for us.

10/12 points, can it be 13/15 points?

[quote]Its not really the time to criticise the defence as they have undoubtedly played their part in our 11/12 pts haul (I''ll conveniently forget the 3 goals conceded at CP). I do agree that Charlton was o...[/quote]

Same I really hope they dont play docherty!

I agree that Charlton was probably our most consistant defender prior to the arrival of Shackell into the team and the argument about limited height would not be relevant alongside Shackell.

For me its the best back four we have and I would certainly like to see Charlton at least on the bench, what has he done wrong ? Also Doc appeared to be coming good and I think got a few MOM awards before being dropped. Weird eh ?

I wouldnt mind if Flem was in or out of the team. Charlton and Doh have been out of action for a while now but flem has been a weak link all season. Fleming v Crouch cannot be good if crouch is fit