Sign in to follow this  
Localteam

Hughton for one more year

After this weekend, honest credit must be given where credit is due. Two wins away from 38 points! Fair enough Hughton''s been criticised for his negative tactics, but on the flip side of that, we''ve kept 11 clean sheets! Thats more than most. We may have been thrashed by Man City and Liverpool, but who hasn''t been?! If we can produce the intensity of Saturday''s win more consistently next season, then I''d be happy. Six out of the seven clubs to sack managers during this season make up the bottom six teams in the league. Praise should be given for sticking with Hughton. If we stay up this season, next season should be his last chance to impress. If he fails to improve on his first two seasons, he''ll see out his three-year contract and leave with dignity. That''s how a club should be run! Money shouldn''t be wasted on firing and hiring managers at will. Who''s out there who would actually do much better than Hughton at present? The only situations in the Prem where a sacked manager has been replaced really well are Liverpool and Southampton. No other replacement of a sacked manager has drastically improved things. We should stick with Hughton until someone who can actually take us to the next level comes along (unless he can eventually take us there!) rather than following other clubs'' methods of replacing mediocre managers with other mediocre managers.

While I don''t like Hughtons negativity and bizarre teams selections and substitutions I think what your saying is more correct than those who want his head!

Two of the names I''ve heard more than most from others on who''d be the ideal replacement for Hughton have been Lennon and Mackay!

Lennons for me hasn''t proved hardly anything as a manager. Celtic playing in the Scottish Premiership is like a club of the size of Newcastle or Everton playing in League 1 down here. If Hughton was manager of Celtic they''d still p*ss that League!

Mackays hasn''t done it in the top flight. Cardiff are one of the poorest, negative teams I''ve seen this season and their League position emphasises this!

Hoots is a lucky manager rather than a good or tallented one.His tactics are poor, his substitutions and ability to adapt during a game are terrible. He has an eye for a player for the most part but in the long run he''s lucky. His luck will run out and cost us.Id hope the board has been doing its homework since January and there are a few names behind closed doors other than the usual duds ( Mackay / Lennon )Come on McNasty, give us the next Arsene Wenger.

It wasn''t long ago that posters were calling for Poyet and look what he served up at the weekend. Or should we get in Laudrup to come and destroy our main strength - team spirit?

Next season will be really important for Hughton. He''ll have the players that he wants out and will have his own players that he brought in with a season under their belts. The next season is now about recognising what we need and getting the best possible players for the job.

He did a great job with lamberts players

He''s done what everyone realistically (neutrals) expected of him, bedding in his players.

Next season will show if he can get the ''formulas'' (as he puts them) right. - Will Ricky find his shooting boots, how good will the new attacking midfielder be?

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]It wasn''t long ago that posters were calling for Poyet and look what he served up at the weekend. Or should we get in Laudrup to come and destroy our main strength - team spirit?[/quote]The grass on the other side of the fence is always greener. I take all the names that have been touted with a pinch of salt but nobody with a proven record of Premier League success is going to be coming to Carrow Rd. All we are going to be in the market for are other teams failures. (Clarke, Laudrup, McKay, Poyet etc etc). The bottom half of the Premier League and top half of the Chumps is nothing but a managerial merry go round. No doubt Harry Redknap and Warnock are already on some peoples lists. They may have some initial minor success but all will likely end in failure.No matter who replaces Chris Hughton he will have the same problems and give or take a little will end up with much the same results. NCFC are pretty much at the apex of what can be achieved by a club of our size ( barring a billionaire turning up). Unlike the big eight, we can never guarantee Premiership status and relegation is only ever one poor season away.Many won''t like that analysis and if we are still in the Prem in 2020 you can tell me I was wrong.

Hmm, his tactics are so poor that we''ve conceded one goal at home this year having played Man C. and the best away team in the league?

Considering the amount of injuries to key personnel this season, I don''t think you can call him lucky either. Or is putting everything down to "luck" just another way of negating anything good he might do without having to give him appropriate credit?

Still, you''re probably on the wind up as per usual - I don''t think anyone could genuinely be that dense.

[quote user="I.S."]Hmm, his tactics are so poor that we''ve conceded one goal at home this year having played Man C. and the best away team in the league?[/quote]The same tactics that have given us apalling away form, and completely destroyed our goalscoring ability (as well as self-confidence and belief of the majority of our attacking players) in the process.Swings and roundabouts...

I climbed off the fence into the ''Hughton out'' camp but after Saturday''s game I will climb back on the fence if we continue to attack.

The approach we took on Saturday provided an attacking team who entertained. A team that had hope of getting a result other than scraping a point.

If we approach the game on Saturday with the same approach I will climb back on the fence and wait and see again.

But if, as I suspect, we go back to a formation and mentality of trying to scrape a point against a side lower than us in the table, then I have had enough!

It''s too early to say. If we capitulate next week-end, and after achieving a must-win victory we usually do, it could be a terrible scramble for the rest of the season.

Any new manager is a risk, and those not currently with a club are unemployed for a good reason usually.

If we have a good consistent run in, even if we get draws rather than wins and if we don''t go under completely against the big boys, there may be a case for continuing with Hughton. At the moment it looks as if we shall not do as well as we did last season, when Hughton had less talent to manage and he was almost completely unfamiliar with the Premiership.

I have to admit that there are encouraging signs of greater flexibility and positive thinking in CH, but he has not yet done enough to convince me that, if we survive and he survives, we shall avoid the nail-biting battle against relegation next year.

Memories in football are so short.

it is amazing that the gutless performances against Villa & Saints can be so easily swept under the carpet after a comfortable victory against perhaps the poorest team in the division.

Perhaps its the fact that even the most pessimistic of football fans is still an eternal optimist.

I can''t deny hoping that something in Hughtons head has changed and he realises we need to put more pressure on opponents and look to score more goals as we simply cannot afford the quality of player that could defend for a solid 90 minutes without mistakes.

Why would I think this when everything about the last 2 seasons tells me otherwise ?

I guess he has to the end of the season to not only avoid the drop but convince people that something is improving but frankly I see little improvement in our play since he became manager and the thought of suffering a similar 3rd season makes me feel physically sick.

Gain another 10 + points and some positive performances and just maybe I could live with 10 games of next season to show progress.

Gus Poyet said Norwich were brave, and that''s exactly how we played against Sunderland, now let''s see us do it away from home, against Swansea we need to play with the same team and same tactics as the first half against Sunderland.

If CH stays, he needs to be given a very clear, rolling ''minimum four points every three games or you''re sacked'' condition of employment by the Board.

For over a year now, we have seen that the sword of Damocles (or rather the threat of relegation, but for the club''s sake this fear must be swapped for the fear of personal ''relegation'') appears to be the motivator he requires to win games with Norwich now.

Really don''t get all this pro Hughton stuff after one win against a very poor side.

Anyway, Hughton''s a goner so no point in speculating. A change will happen this summer.

It''s a tough league, so it''s ineviteble we''ll lose points where we think we should have got them. What grates is when we don''t even look like trying to get any points. Hughton is sometimes too scared to go for it. If he can get them playing like Saturday for the next few, he''ll have done his job. It''s not often enough at the moment for me to be fully convinced he''s the right man.

He does the hard bits very well and has done wonders in getting us a strong defence that has 11 clean sheets this season. The 7-1 results versus the billionaires will always happen, but all in all, the defence is good. It''s the simple things like letting Wes off his leash that he needs to have the courage to do.

Why does it take us so long to get up and running ? We have now played 31 games out of 38 and only now are you pleased with the performance because we beat a fellow struggler. If we lose the next game, all of the "Hughton Out" cries will start again until we win again, if we do win again. Do we really need the thick end of a season to get it right ?, I thought that was what pre seasons were for.