Sign in to follow this  
AidanC

Hooper being shielded by RVW talk

I know there''s a very divided community on a lot of things at norwich, I put my hands up for that - but if we put the blame on RVW not scoring through lack of confidence, not enough service, or just not cutting it in the premier league, then surely we have to look at hoopers efforts - he had a nice bit of form before Christmas but nothing since, I ask the question what if BOTH of our strike force have flopped not just our record signing but with there given track record they should be doing better, I just have to give Ricky a bit of sympathy, he has been over hyped from the start and the kid may not of handled the pressure to we''ll , for me on a personal note with the summer fast approaching and a creative midfielder hopefully coming in to shake things up they can really only go on the up from then the salvation of our forwards lays in the next season..

Hooper has missed about three times as many, if not more, good chances than Wolfie.

Simple as that.

Fantastic he scored the goals he did, if he hadn''t then we''d be in serious trouble. But Morison and Jackson were both blasted for only being on form for a couple months in one season. We''ll that''s all we''ve seen from Hooper, yet he comes on for RVW and everyone is delighted? Makes no sense, Wolfie wins the ball plenty, passing is decent, movement is great. Hooper runs around a lot, doesn''t fall over as easily and generally accurate passing (but not as decisive in my opinion). But Hooper has missed some glorious chances, and some in key moments in games. Could have won us games, pulled out a point from a losing position etc on at least four occasions.

Neither have been good enough. If both had scored 7/8 league goals, that would just about be acceptable, but we spent £13 million or so on Hess guys and we''ve had more goals from our three Leeds players. (I think).

I think the missing piece is that AM/SS that we have been looking for for so long. Someone to replace Wes/Elmander but he is not going to come cheap.

Gingerpele wrote: Hooper has missed about three times as many, if not more, good chances than Wolfie.

Do you really think that Hooper would have missed the two that RVW did on Saturday?

"Someone to replace Wes"

I don''t understand where people have got the idea that we have ever needed to replace Wes, all we have needed to do to make our team work is play Wes.

[quote user="Le Juge"]"Someone to replace Wes"

I don''t understand where people have got the idea that we have ever needed to replace Wes, all we have needed to do to make our team work is play Wes.[/quote]

Considering his January shenanigans with all the BS of "never playing for norwich again" I highly doubt in the summer he will stay, I would assume as soon as the door opens he will already be in the car down to Aston villa.

"Someone to replace Wes"

I don''t understand where people have got the idea that we have ever needed to replace Wes, all we have needed to do to make our team work is play Wes.

Maybe because he wouldn''t score enough goals if played there regularly! I''ve said it before, Hoolahan is hardly a Silva, Nasri, Hazard, Lallana, Otzil, Cazorla, Coutinho!

I know his main job would be to create chances but I''m not convinced he could constantly do that on a regular basis either!

[quote user="AidanC"][quote user="Le Juge"]"Someone to replace Wes"

I don''t understand where people have got the idea that we have ever needed to replace Wes, all we have needed to do to make our team work is play Wes.[/quote]

Considering his January shenanigans with all the BS of "never playing for norwich again" I highly doubt in the summer he will stay, I would assume as soon as the door opens he will already be in the car down to Aston villa.[/quote]

From what I hear from my family in Birmingham Lambert won''t be at Villa,

Joanna Grey wrote the following post at 24/03/2014 8:27 PM:

I think the missing piece is that AM/SS that we have been looking for for so long. Someone to replace Wes/Elmander but he is not going to come cheap.

Joanna - Surely the missing piece is the change of system that we should play.

By playing two inverted wingers we give our forwards and midfield little chance to create and use space in the opposition penalty area.

Even the most adept AM cannot pass a ball into the box to create chances if there are so many players in there that there is no space to pass it.

On Saturday we played with one inverted winger and an additional midfielder. We utilised the space on the left to good effect and pressed well from midfield. As a result we created chances by attacking.

Yes better players would help the situation but they must be given the chance to show what they can do.

Am I the only one to have seen frustration on Leroy Fer''s face this season because he has had nowhere to go and nowhere to play the ball?

Both should''ve scored more but both are restricted by our manager. Doesn''t play to their strengths a lot of the time. Hence the lack of goals. Hence why we will have a new manager come August 2014.

Both will improve for this season;   both have missed guilt edged chances and both are currently lacking confidence.  I am fairly sure both will be much better next season and both should be persevered with.

Some one asked whether hooper would have missed saturdays chances - maybe,  maybe not;  but he HAS missed similar chances this year.

For me Hooper has looked the far better player this season. 5 goals in 20 starts in a team that has only scored 26 goals all season is not bad a return.

I like RVW, he is full of running and makes intelligent movement. Problem is he gets no service and then has to come deeper looking for the ball into a position to me he is not as effective at as Hooper or Elmander.

Hooper has looked threatening from outside the area, has held the ball up well and linked superbly with other players at times, especially Wes.

It''s only my opinion, but while I really want RVW to come good, he is just not very effective at playing the role he has been asked to most of the season. He has not as good at holding the ball up, his link up play with the midfield is not as effective and he hasn''t really carved himself out any chances either.

While Hooper has definitely missed chances, a 5 million pound striker is never going to guarantee you goals from every chance, however Hooper has looked far more likely to get himself in a position to score.

Hooper has done enough this season imo to justify his price tag, jury''s still out on RVW, although I''m hopeful he will come good if we play more to his strengths

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="AidanC"][quote user="Le Juge"]"Someone to replace Wes" I don''t understand where people have got the idea that we have ever needed to replace Wes, all we have needed to do to make our team work is play Wes.[/quote] Considering his January shenanigans with all the BS of "never playing for norwich again" I highly doubt in the summer he will stay, I would assume as soon as the door opens he will already be in the car down to Aston villa.[/quote] From what I hear from my family in Birmingham Lambert won''t be at Villa,[/quote]

Where''s he going?

The most glaring observation on RVW on Saturday is how deep he was coming to get the ball sometimes he was back in our half when he got it, then plays a short pass and has 40 yards to get into the box.

For me a great striker is one that plays off the centre backs, the likes of Rush and Owen and Lineaker, you never saw them collect the ball as deep as RVW was on saturday.

[quote user="Alfie54"]Gingerpele wrote: Hooper has missed about three times as many, if not more, good chances than Wolfie.

Do you really think that Hooper would have missed the two that RVW did on Saturday?[/quote]
Umm...
He''s missed worse. He''s had half a dozen one on ones, in control of the ball in the penalty area. Plus other chances.