Sign in to follow this  

Eight in the league for home form, with a +3 goal difference and superb at home in three out of the last four  home games and unbeaten at home since Jan 1st.    Two away wins this season so far - from eleventh downwards the most any team has is three - and we are close to being comfortably mid-table - although if we drop our guard we could fall back too.

We are starting to score goals, two at Villa, two against Sunderland and with a little luck/confidence RVW could have increased that.  We look very good at times and are attempting to play more attacking football generally - especially since the turn of the year.  

What more do people want?  We are holding our own and building a strong squad when they are all fit, we are staying clear of the bottom three and we are playing better football.    One bad performance and the sticks come out again - and even when that proves to be a blip, the sticks stay out. 

I genuinely don''t understand the negativity on here towards Hughton since the new year.  You can cite all sorts of stuff about substitutions - about tactics etc etc - but even if there are criticisms, that does not make a manager sackable - when he is getting results - and showing signs of improving the style.   The players play for him too - as evidenced in our home form, particularly.

It has bugged me since he arrived nearly two years ago that people were negative about him from the word go and I put that down to the Lambert hangover.  But its still going on and people don''t seem to have any sense of proportion.   We have had difficulties, of course, all managers/teams do - we expect that in the premiership - don''t we?    If we are starting to click as a team/squad - and that''s how it appears to me, despite the odd blip - then it would be madness to consider changing the manager.   We continue to improve and we stay up - and everything looks more positive. 

But on the back of a terrific performance - again - at home - we are getting the usual negative dross on here.  What is it?  What is the matter with you?  Where is the reason?  Are your expectations so out of proportion to what they should be? 

Some people have a different opinion to you, learn to deal with that. It is a fact of life which we all have to learn. We are all entitled to and capable of forming our own opinions.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Here endeth the first lesson........[/quote]

The first of how many?

"lappinitup"

Here endeth the first lesson........

The first of how many?

Bloody android.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="lappinitup"]Here endeth the first lesson........[/quote]

The first of how many?[/quote]LDC has got a Bible full of them. (and probably a Koran full too). [;)]

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Get a girlfriend or wife Ldc. *Take it out on her and chill out a wee bit.

*I''m not referring to a firm hand.[/quote]

I''d love to get a girlfriend or another wife, but I don''t think I''d get away with it, I''m not very good at lying..........and the present wife would know straight away!   [:S]

Here endeth the lesson my mad friends. I''ve got an early start tomorrow............

[quote user="lake district canary"]Here endeth the lesson my mad friends. I''ve got an early start tomorrow............[/quote]Does that mean you''re gonna start posting at 5am? [;)]

LDC - many fans are frustrated because of the FACTS.

12 league wins in the last 51 games.

Over a goal scored in just 15 / 69 league games.

7 points off where we were at this stage 2 years back.

Let alone the unquantifiable desperate away days where we set up to cling pathetically to a nil nil and end up shipping 3 or 4 or obvious observation that we are no longer greater (let alone equal) to the sum of our parts. We can be better because, even at this level recently, we have been better.

Yes, Sunderland was a great result and performance but the extreme rarity of such matches just proves the point. Hughton is a lovely guy and a sound manager but if we want to improve and become a secure team at this level we need to change things.

Put it this way ... how many other Premiership teams would hire Hughton if we dismissed him?

LDC the problem is that this season every good match is followed by a dire match, there has been no consistency, seemingly no confidence or belief in the team.

You only have to see the teams reaction to conceding a goal, there is no rallying point in the team.

Sunder lands performance reminded me so much of ours away from home, and that is what worries fans.

I love the way some are saying nearly safe, there are way too many games to go and there will be some shock results like ours against Spurs, so will go down to wire.

Until our strikers do the business we will remain in trouble, for me Murphy must be knocking on door again especially at home as scoring regular in U21.

Presume LDC is another Inner who doesn''t actually travel away to watch the awful performances under the current manager.  A win against WBA (who are also fighting for their lives so not a given) and a point from the other 6 games may well be enough to keep us in this league but for those who actually go and watch the games live it''s been an appalling two years of negative football with probably the best squad we''ve had in our history and one that will be even better come the start of next season whoever the manager is. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]

We are starting to score goals, two at Villa, two against Sunderland and with a little luck/confidence RVW could have increased that.  We look very good at times and are attempting to play more attacking football generally - especially since the turn of the year.  

[/quote]Err.............not unless you''re counting Bassong''s OG.[:)]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

Err.............not unless you''re counting Bassong''s OG.[:)]
[/quote]

Lol.  Beggars can''t be choosers... I suspect the OP meant 2 at Soton....

LDC finishes by lamenting "But on the back of a terrific performance - again - at home - we are getting the usual negative dross on here."

Perhaps he has been reading postings which I have missed, but I have not noticed much negative dross. There has been praise for the team, the performance, even for the embattled manager. Most independent observers commented on a good all-round performance, even if they suspected that Poyet was right, and his team didn''t turn up.

Even if we were all very happy with the result, however, some of us have felt let down so often this season, that we must be forgiven for feeling that one swallow does not make a summer. None of our previous wins, at home because we are poor on the road, have been followed by a run of good performances anything like the 10 match run in late 2012. Perhaps it will be different this time, and all of us are hoping that it will, but we have been let down so many times this season. It is not the occasional poor result which concerns us, as LDC rightly says all teams suffer from this, it is the sheer inconsistency, when we so often win and then for few weeks afterwards seem to hit rock bottom, or at best play below our capability.

[quote user="Pauls Ferry"]I thought Hughton had been in charge for more than 51 games.[/quote]Yeah, those ''x games in y'' stats rarely tell the full story, especially when the stat giver chooses when to start y. I mean 51 games, being such a round number, seems like a logical place to start. Without going back to check, I''d bet we won the game 52 games ago, but that wouldn''t suit any narrative.It''s equally redundant when you do the opisit. For example, we won 3 of our last 5 games last season. By my calculations, we''ve won 11 of our last 36 games! Not too shabby in this league. That''s a win percentage of just over 30%, about on par with what Pulis did at Stoke keeping them in the league for 5 years, before being dismissed for ''style issues''.Same stats, just a different starting point to y.FYI - We''ve won 2 of our last 5!

[quote user="lake district canary"]Eight in the league for home form, with a +3 goal difference and superb at home in three out of the last four  home games and unbeaten at home since Jan 1st.    Two away wins this season so far - from eleventh downwards the most any team has is three - and we are close to being comfortably mid-table - although if we drop our guard we could fall back too.

What more do people want?  We are holding our own and building a strong squad when they are all fit, we are staying clear of the bottom three and we are playing better football.    One bad performance and the sticks come out again - and even when that proves to be a blip, the sticks stay out. 

I genuinely don''t understand the negativity on here towards Hughton since the new year.  You can cite all sorts of stuff about substitutions - about tactics etc etc - but even if there are criticisms, that does not make a manager sackable - when he is getting results - and showing signs of improving the style.   The players play for him too - as evidenced in our home form, particularly.

It has bugged me since he arrived nearly two years ago that people were negative about him from the word go and I put that down to the Lambert hangover.  But its still going on and people don''t seem to have any sense of proportion.   We have had difficulties, of course, all managers/teams do - we expect that in the premiership - don''t we?    If we are starting to click as a team/squad - and that''s how it appears to me, despite the odd blip - then it would be madness to consider changing the manager.   We continue to improve and we stay up - and everything looks more positive. 

But on the back of a terrific performance - again - at home - we are getting the usual negative dross on here.  What is it?  What is the matter with you?  Where is the reason?  Are your expectations so out of proportion to what they should be? 

[/quote]

ME! Look at me again!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="lappinitup"]Here endeth the first lesson........
[/quote] The first of how many?[/quote]

LDC has got a Bible full of them. (and probably a Koran full too). [;)]
[/quote]

You were right.

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="lappinitup"]Here endeth the first lesson........[/quote] The first of how many?[/quote]LDC has got a Bible full of them. (and probably a Koran full too). [;)][/quote]

You were right.

[/quote]

In the beginning  there was nothing, but according to legend,  building a premiership team took seven years.............at first Lambo said let there be light - and there was light.  In year two he said "the sky is the limit" and it was so.   Year three he called it the promised land and despite choppy seas, it proved so.  Year four the new Lambo (Hughto)  planted new seeds - eleven different kinds.   In the fifth year creatures were let loose on the firmament and they were called "hootunouters"  and were a plague upon the land.   They made much noise, but by the end of year five they had dwindled to a mere squeak because  the sun and the rain and the seeds that had been planted started to flourish and bear fruit, so much that the land became a land of plenty and Hughto was  much pleased and all about were satisfied.   Year six...................

Oh yes - I''ve only just started........... [:D]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="lappinitup"]Here endeth the first lesson........[/quote] The first of how many?[/quote]LDC has got a Bible full of them. (and probably a Koran full too). [;)][/quote]

You were right.

[/quote]

In the beginning  there was nothing, but according to legend,  building a premiership team took seven years.............at first Lambo said let there be light - and there was light.  In year two he said "the sky is the limit" and it was so.   Year three he called it the promised land and despite choppy seas, it proved so.  Year four the new Lambo (Hughto)  planted new seeds - eleven different kinds.   In the fifth year creatures were let loose on the firmament and they were called "hootunouters"  and were a plague upon the land.   They made much noise, but by the end of year five they had dwindled to a mere squeak because  the sun and the rain and the seeds that had been planted started to flourish and bear fruit, so much that the land became a land of plenty and Hughto was  much pleased and all about were satisfied.   Year six...................

Oh yes - I''ve only just started........... [:D]

[/quote]If we are doing books of The Bible then we have Exodus and Lamentations to look forward to...