Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

If we'd sacked him in November..

Current league position is much less relevant than current points total in my opinion Nutty.

32 points still leaves us in the dogfight, especially considering most teams below us have games in hand.

I''d much rather be 14th and be on 38 points than 13th on 32, it''s been a strange season.

If we were 13th on 32 points then.

BTW if we had 38 points we''d be 10th. The league table you''d like doesn''t exist I''m afraid. Unfortunately we are around the clubs everyone expected us to be around.

No, it wouldn''t be a success for me for the reasons stated above.

I realise where 38 points would put us, that''s where we should be aiming for, and I''m obviously aware that my hypothetical league table to go with your hypothetical November change doesn''t exist.

13th now doesn''t make us safe unless I''m mistaken?

My point was, current league position (given how tight it is and everyone below us having games in hand) is not as important as points on the board.

That would be the barometer of success for your hypothetical change.

Blimey! I didn''t mean my post to sound harsh BTW. Ok, but if we had those points we''d be outperforming the whole bottom half and taking that into account only possibly Pulis and Poyet have could be deemed a success of those who have changed.

There''s  no doubt when needed Hughton & the team deliver, Spurs now Sunderland was two of the best perfromances we have had in a fair while and no doubting our home record thie year has been outstanding even if some of the perfrmances have been questionable.

Your question Nutty is yes of course people would have to admit it would have been a success but some on here wont, in the same manner that you have to admit some of this seasons games have been the worst we have seen in many a year, with poor perfromances, organisation and tactics.

That said there is little doubt that the players have reacted to the pressure in a positive manner and playing Wes instead of Johnson, hats of to Hughton got that spot on.

Ask me if I would be happy to keep Hughton in 7 games time, because if this team can put in the same effort at Swansea ad the rest of the seaosn,win draw or lose does not matter, just that effort for the full game then who can complain? Yes staying up is important but the manner in which we played made the crowd back them for the full 90......my point of last week, effort = full support!

By the way great team perfromance, Elamander & RVW worked their socks off, Wes was superb, Tettey dominated the midfield and Yobo was outstanding! Can we please have more!

Apologies if I took that the wrong way.

The point still is Nutty (as it was in July when the fixtures came out), that due to the way the fixture list has turned out we are unlikely to score many points in the last 4/5 games, hence the need to be "outperforming" the rest of the bottom half now as that gap will likely close over the final games.

People say that the fixtures have been cruel to us but you could just as well argue the opposite, they''ve given us the opportunity to play all the games where we''re likely to score good points earlier than our rivals giving us the opportunity to be clear of the scrap in the final fixtures and take the pressure off ourselves. We haven''t capitalised on that for me. Hopefully we can against Swansea and West Brom.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]No, it wouldn''t be a success for me for the reasons stated above.

I realise where 38 points would put us, that''s where we should be aiming for, and I''m obviously aware that my hypothetical league table to go with your hypothetical November change doesn''t exist.

13th now doesn''t make us safe unless I''m mistaken?[/quote]In a normal season we should have been heading for about 44 points on my calculations. The problem is that this is nothing like an ordinary season. The disconnect between bottom and top half is much greater than it normally is and unless more bottom half teams start beating top half teams it is likely to remain so.The result of all this is that there are only two or three teams who could qualify as being midtable while something like nine or ten are covered by a few points in the relegation stakes. In the last three seasons there have been an average of only 4 teams who fail to reach 40 points. By my reckoning it could easily be 8 or 9 this season.This season is very unusual in having so many teams with so little between them in the bottom half.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Apologies if I took that the wrong way. The point still is Nutty (as it was in July when the fixtures came out), that due to the way the fixture list has turned out we are unlikely to score many points in the last 4/5 games, hence the need to be "outperforming" the rest of the bottom half now as that gap will likely close over the final games. People say that the fixtures have been cruel to us but you could just as well argue the opposite, they''ve given us the opportunity to play all the games where we''re likely to score good points earlier than our rivals giving us the opportunity to be clear of the scrap in the final fixtures and take the pressure off ourselves. We haven''t capitalised on that for me. Hopefully we can against Swansea and West Brom.[/quote]

Not only that,  but by the time we play United they will be out of any chance of the top 4 and might if they beat Munich (as unlikely as it is) they might still have a champions league match to protect some of their players and Arsenal will definately have an eye on the  FA cup last it might just be Chelsea by then might also have wrapped up the  Premiership, so it might turn out to be in our favour to play these games at the end of the season! Who knows qw wait and watch the results at teh top as well as those around us! We might have a good chance to pick up a point or two from the last 4 games too.

Fact is all the bottom six have changed managers since the start of the season. All the teams above them (Except for Spurs) haven''t.

Well we''ll have to wait and see. There''s going to be plenty more twists and turns and probably scares for us before the season is over. Big game at the Hawthorns next Saturday. WBA haven''t won at home this year, which includes the visits of Palace and Fulham. Cardiff have lost all their away games during the same period but all bar one (Swansea) have been against top 8 clubs. Pepe Mel against Soskjaer. The loser of that one surely can''t be deemed a success.

Great though isn''t it? Much better than half the league having nothing to play for. To be involved in this is something to embrace. A challenge where every game means so much. We are spoiled at this club. We haven''t really had an ordinary season for a very long time.

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]If he had gone then and been replaced by the Messiah we would comfortably be in the top 6 by now[/quote]

Hoot''s Canaries 76 points

Lambo''s Villains 75 points.

Good job them he''s won those 10 points against us[;)]

It is interesting, Nutty. Though i would like us to be mathematically safe before the last two games just for the benefit of my Saturday afternoon health.[:D]The bottom three need to win 3 games just to overhaul where we are now in terms of points and two of those 3 have won 6 games all season and one has won 7. Its certainly looking more positive after yesterday though equally we already know how this changes week by week.I think a win next Saturday and we are very nearly there.

For sure we do buddy. I''d hate us to need a results against those clubs to have any chance of staying up. We''ve got a good recent record at Swansea. They''ve only won 2 out of their last 16. They''ve sacked their manager and installed their own version of Bryan Gunn. Just wish I could be confident!!!! [:S]

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]To be honest I''d gladly trade squeaky bum for ordinary.[/quote]Numerous seasons in the sixties when there was nothing to play for after January.Be thankful we live in interesting times Mr Brownstone.

At this point last season the team in 18th was Villa, equal on points with Wigan on 30. Wigan only got 6 more points in their last 8 games and the two teams who finished below them only got 2 and 5 points respectively. Fingers crossed that that is the same this year.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2utsq5g&s=8#.Uy9VzVeF-8w

More nonsense as it does not reflect the fixture list. If we had played our last four games on the list earlier then there would be every likelihood that we would now be in the bottom three pinning our hopes on having four relatively easy games at the end of the season.A more certain measure is in the performance and development of the squad.When Hughton''s tactics and style go put of the window we get these bizare squeaks from the apologists that all is well - totally ignoring the huge failings at all other times.We have seen three goalscorers join the club with great track records behind them only to see them fail at City. Fer has been a shadow of his earlier promise, Redmond has become a headless chicken and both Ruddy and Bassong have also been lesser players.Yes, it will all be ok claim the apologists if we wheeze over the line, but the rest know it won''t. One of the most noticable things of the present board has been our ability to hold onto to our ''star'' players. Not one player has left for a bigger club. Something I fear we may struggle with this summer.Dire unimaginative football, where players are either constrained in some absurd zonal play or stuck with some new tactic that has to be stuck with come what may is not going to inspire players to stay ... or join us, Yes Hughton has recently shown signs of ditching all he previously stood for, but not only is that too little too late but also carries the fear that he will revert back to type at any time.Select a time in the season when it suits to make your claim nutty - 5mins at Villa park, but the rest of us remember the other dreadful 5000 mins.We need a manager that is praised not for getting us out of the sh it, but one who never got us in there in the first place.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

And we were 13th now under the new guy...

Would the change be deemed to have been a success?

[/quote]Depends on the style of football we were playing I guess, but generally yes we would say 13th is a decent season and it would`ve been a success.I think this season has been more about the negative and lacklustre performance under Hughton

[quote user="City1st"]

Select a time in the season when it suits to make your claim nutty - 5mins

at Villa park, but the rest of us remember the other dreadful 5000

mins.

[/quote]

I haven''t made any claim at all City1st. Just asked a question. Get off my case and take your bellendary to your usual easier targets.

[quote user="Balloo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

And we were 13th now under the new guy...

Would the change be deemed to have been a success?

[/quote]Depends on the style of football we were playing I guess, but generally yes we would say 13th is a decent season and it would`ve been a success.I think this season has been more about the negative and lacklustre performance under Hughton [/quote]

I have no great attachment to Hughton. But I do not entertain the notion that anyone would be better. In fact I would say that the chances of getting anyone better are less than 50%. When the board appointed Hughton they believed he was the best "in class" manager. ie the best they felt they could get from those available to us. If you look at the record of our club in appointing managers and the record of compatible clubs when appointing managers you will see what I mean. So taking those variables into account I would definitely be happy if a new manager had come here in November and had us where we are now. I''d be ecstatic in fact because my belief is there''s a greater chance we''d get a worse manager than Hughton.

I understand that you would prefer a different style of play. But wonder if you''d prefer it enough to have less points?

[quote user="City1st"]

One of the most noticable things of the present board has been our ability to hold onto to our ''star'' players. Not one player has left for a bigger club. Something I fear we may struggle with this summer.

[/quote]

Not a bad thing, getting new players in will freshen the squad. A ''star'' player leaving wouldn''t be a problem, there are plenty more where they came from.

Indy, and Mr. Brownstone - You''re both quite right, and I made similar points when the fixture list was first announced.

Calm down dear fellowyou knew perfectly well what was infered in your OP, and are now throwing your toys out of your pram as a means of deflecting from your flawed argumentsit is not about a case either, I am merely replying to what YOU have postedjust as yesterday when you accused me of falsely apologising, claiming to have the evidence then again throwing a strop rather than backing up your claimas much as I can be robust in my replies, you can be mealy mouthed in yours nutty  ...... all the time trying to hedge your bets so as to not have to stand by your claimsif you wish to make it personal then go ahead, but I will still argue and challenge where I see fit irrespective of who it is

[quote user="City1st"]Calm down dear fellowyou knew perfectly well what was infered in your OP, and are now throwing your toys out of your pram as a means of deflecting from your flawed argumentsit is not about a case either, I am merely replying to what YOU have postedjust as yesterday when you accused me of falsely apologising, claiming to have the evidence then again throwing a strop rather than backing up your claimas much as I can be robust in my replies, you can be mealy mouthed in yours nutty  ...... all the time trying to hedge your bets so as to not have to stand by your claimsif you wish to make it personal then go ahead, but I will still argue and challenge where I see fit irrespective of who it is

[/quote]

Or even sorry nutty, I was wrong....

you accuse me of something I didn''t doyou then claimed to have evidence of that,  but failed to produce itwhich then makes ME wrongdear, oh dearie me

Funny how so many perfectly valid threads with pefectly valid points from various contributors, descend in to unpleasant slagging matches as soon as a certain poster enters the fray.

He is the messageboard equivalent of Katie Hopkins. The second she opens her mouth to ''contribute'' to any debate you just switch her off.

If we sacked him in November its likely we''d be in a worse position than we are!

Just look at the bottom 3, changing managers has not worked!

And this is coming from me who isn''t a Hughton fan by any means!