Sorry if this has been mentioned before

I have semi friend, who is sort of a city fan, he misses matches fairly often, and isn''t that clued up on things

He says he''d prefer Norwich to go down as the Championship is a more competitive league, although i cant argue with the last bit, i find it outrageous that city fans, however fickle, would want there team to go down.

I ran this past some mates in the Barclay, and they sort of agreed

What do you think, city staying up and battling relegation for a few years or another promotion chasing season in Div 1, i think its gotta be the prem, hope you agree???

What you think?

There is a lot I miss about the championship;  better fans, more characterful stadiums,  more frequent games (those gaps between matches drive me mad) and, until recently, more wins.  The league is competetive and the is a sense of having something to win each year.

The standard of football is better (although not as different from the champs as sky would have you beleive) and the chance to see some truly world class players is inspiring.  Who does not want to see their side take on the very best in the world.  However I would get bored being a mid table side not winning anything and the season ending by March?

Prem every time for me, but I am happy to watch us yo yo! 

OTBC

I do appreciate what you are saying. There certainly are advantages to playing in the Championship. My mate is a Stoke fan and I dont know whether he is just being bitter or not but he says that he genuinely prefers playing in the Championship. Why?

1. He says that at least the league is competitive unlike the premiership where winning a quarter of your games will see you stay up.

2. The games are more regular. You dont have to wait two or three weeks for a game because of champions league etc. If you lose on the Saturday you can bounce back on the Wednesday.

3. The league is an English league. Success isnt bought Chelsea style with whoever can afford the most foreigners doing well. The league is still based on yound English players coming up through youth teams.

4. The support is of a much better standard in the Championship. Although the grounds are larger in the Premiership there just isnt as much noise. For the larger teams especially in the Premiership the ground is full of neutral supporters and corporate guests. In the Stoke FA cup game with Arsenal, my mate said that the Stoke fans put Arsenal to shame at Highbury. They didnt sing a song all game.

5. More is at stake. With 2 promotion spots and 4 more playoff positions there is a lot more to play for. This, combined with the lack of competitiveness means that there are fewer clubs left in mid table mediocrity season after season.

The reasons he puts forward are convincing but i cant help feel that he doesnt really believe what he is saying. I think that he still desperatley wants Stoke to go up. Its natural.

Its the same with Norwich. Of course we want them to stay up more than anything...but perhaps it wouldnt be all doom and gloom if we do go down.

I know where your friend is coming from. I must admit I miss my trips to places like Rotherham and the type of fans you get at those clubs too. They are real football supporters. You can also realistically expect you team to win when you go away. It is better to travel hopefully than arrive and all that.

But on the other side of the coin, the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages. Apart from the be all and end all, the money, the media arent really interested in the lower leagues I''m afraid. City are on Match of the Day and Football first every week, and you have a very real chance of seeing your team live when you go on holiday because some channel somewhere has bought the rights. All this would disappear if we get relegated. There would be some consolations if we go down but survival is the key to our future.

Isn''t it a sad indictment of our game,that because of the huge financial inequalities[sky and sugar dadskis]that our top league is so uncompetative that the question even has to be asked?

[quote]your mate must be an idiot!!! has to be the prem every time!!! [/quote]

true, but some things are better in the champ, ok this is our first season for a decade, maybe things will be better if we stay up?

Both leagues have their advantages.  However, I''d pick the Prem over the 1st Div every time.  IMO it''s the best league in the world, better than La Liga or Serie A.  For lil ol Norwich to be in their, makes me immensely proud

[quote]There is a lot I miss about the championship; better fans, more characterful stadiums, more frequent games (those gaps between matches drive me mad) and, until recently, more wins. The league is co...[/quote]

The championship has nice things like the stadiums, better fans etc. but the premiership where i want to be. It has great teams, great players and the gameplay imo is a lot better

[quote]your mate must be an idiot!!! has to be the prem every time!!![/quote]

9 Years in the wilderness has clearly addled one too many a yellow brain.

There are surly many posters who remember the 80s and 90s and the days of Bond, Brown, Stringer & Walker - when we were playing on an even field with the best - and doing pretty damn good at times too.

To even entertain the thought that we would do better (or enjoy ourselves more) in a lower division automatically exposes you as lacking in ambition or belief.  It is shocking!

Delia and the board my have an eye on the prudence, but at least there is an element of ambition there.  Where is it on these boards?  Could we not challenge the likes of Villa, Middlesbrough and Spurs for places in Europe?  Is that not more fun than Rotherham away on a Wednesday night with an eye on the play-offs?

Looks like the occasional problem where quote box goes a bit weird. I''ve asked someone to see if they can do anything.

Whilst things have obviously improved toward the end of the season I have to say facing another season of similar non competitiveness does not fill me with excitment.

Although if we were able to stay up I guess we would have more money to invest in better players and not struggle so badly next season.

I personally still dont see what all the fuss is about and if the season had finished before the Man U game I would have said good riddance to the Premiership and not that fussed if we come back next year. The only thing I really like about the Prem is being able to watch football first on a Saturday night. Hopefully one day we will get rid of the top 3 or 4 to a European league and that might allow the Premiership to become competitive again.

I hope we stay up and manage to be more competitive next season , but if we had to suffer a similar season to this one I''d be looking forward to playing Wolves again next year. 

I miss the Championship, I really do. Proper grounds, proper fans and proper football. Every game is a winnable and there is always something to play for and hope that this could be your teams year.

There''s none of that in the Prem. It''s just big money players playing for big money teams then half a dozen other clubs squabbling away in mid-table obscurity.

Having said that - there''s nothing in the world like beating ManUre 2-0! Easy! Easy! Easy!