Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

If we stay up do you want CH to carry on ?

[quote user=" chaywa"]

I think I''d be happy for CH to stay on on the provision that our back-room staff is supplemented with a new attacking coach.

Although if Sherwood were to be sacked from Tottenham I''d probably opt for him instead if he can bring some of the Spurs backroom staff with him - without the fatigue of European competition I think Sherwood has the potential to be an excellent mid-table manager when he only has to worry about one game a week.

There''d be a decent likelihood of him bringing Sigurdsson over that way as well!

[/quote]I agree with this. Sure, he seems a bit of an arrogant so-and-so, but he''s clearly got the self-belief to go far and would play an exciting, attacking style of football. He''d be my number-one choice if he leaves Spurs this summer.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user=" chaywa"]

I think I''d be happy for CH to stay on on the provision that our back-room staff is supplemented with a new attacking coach.

Although if Sherwood were to be sacked from Tottenham I''d probably opt for him instead if he can bring some of the Spurs backroom staff with him - without the fatigue of European competition I think Sherwood has the potential to be an excellent mid-table manager when he only has to worry about one game a week.

There''d be a decent likelihood of him bringing Sigurdsson over that way as well!

[/quote]
I agree with this. Sure, he seems a bit of an arrogant so-and-so, but he''s clearly got the self-belief to go far and would play an exciting, attacking style of football. He''d be my number-one choice if he leaves Spurs this summer.
[/quote]

This is another one of those myths that football gives us, before Sunday Spurs had scored one in four Premier League games, they had a run of 8 games where their only victories were against Cardiff & Dnipro.

Initially Tim started with a 442 formation but soon became Timid Tim by using a 4231.

They''ve also conceded 12 goals in 5 games.

The media are bigging him up because English and not AVB, don''t believe the hype.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user=" chaywa"]

[/quote]I agree with this. Sure, he seems a bit of an arrogant so-and-so, but he''s clearly got the self-belief to go far and would play an exciting, attacking style of football. He''d be my number-one choice if he leaves Spurs this summer.[/quote]

This is another one of those myths that football gives us, before Sunday Spurs had scored one in four Premier League games, they had a run of 8 games where their only victories were against Cardiff & Dnipro.

Initially Tim started with a 442 formation but soon became Timid Tim by using a 4231.

The media are bigging him up because English and not AVB, don''t believe the hype.

[/quote]Adebayor and Lamela have been injured, and Defoe sold, which is the main reason he''s reverted to 4231. Soldado and Adebayor don''t suit each other very well and they have a plethora of attacking midfielders, so it makes sense to me. 4231 isn''t necessarily a defensive formation. I still think he''d be a decent gamble if we do part company with Hughton in the summer.

No.

12 league wins in the last 51.

Over a goal scored in only 15 / 69 league games.

7 points BEHIND where we were at this stage under PL.

I, like many on here, was willing to back him after keeping us up last season but only if the problems post Xmas were rectified by signing better players. The quality came in but if anything we are poorer than last season (we have been behind last season''s points tally for the last 19 games now).

If we want a manager to do more than give us a fighting chance in a relegation scrap he needs to go. We can be better (and have been better) than what we have become.

"

If the question was - would you keep CH based on what we know TODAY, I think the answer is likely to be mostly negative, but the question is would you keep him if we stay up? Then I think you will find the balance of answers tips in favor of yes. For me, I have been bored silly with our style of play in too many games, however I''m prepared to accept that we have a squad in transition, and injuries have dealt a blow to us this year (starting with Elliot Bennett in the opening game), so I''d answer yes, a qualified yes, but nonetheless yes.

eh ? "

It''s my opinion, you are welcome to your own...

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user=" chaywa"]

[/quote]
I agree with this. Sure, he seems a bit of an arrogant so-and-so, but he''s clearly got the self-belief to go far and would play an exciting, attacking style of football. He''d be my number-one choice if he leaves Spurs this summer.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Adebayor and Lamela have been injured, and Defoe sold, which is the main reason he''s reverted to 4231. Soldado and Adebayor don''t suit each other very well and they have a plethora of attacking midfielders, so it makes sense to me. 4231 isn''t necessarily a defensive formation. I still think he''d be a decent gamble if we do part company with Hughton in the summer.
[/quote]

It''s only a defensive formation when we play it because we have a defensive manager.

Sherwood is a media darling, they hated AVB, they will write any old rubbish just to make Tim look good.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user=" chaywa"]

[/quote]I agree with this. Sure, he seems a bit of an arrogant so-and-so, but he''s clearly got the self-belief to go far and would play an exciting, attacking style of football. He''d be my number-one choice if he leaves Spurs this summer.[/quote]

[/quote]Adebayor and Lamela have been injured, and Defoe sold, which is the main reason he''s reverted to 4231. Soldado and Adebayor don''t suit each other very well and they have a plethora of attacking midfielders, so it makes sense to me. 4231 isn''t necessarily a defensive formation. I still think he''d be a decent gamble if we do part company with Hughton in the summer.[/quote]

It''s only a defensive formation when we play it because we have a defensive manager.

Sherwood is a media darling, they hated AVB, they will write any old rubbish just to make Tim look good.

[/quote]

Yeah, that was my point. Not Timid Tim at all, just capable of

picking his team to suit the resources available, not being tied to the

same formation week in, week out.

Sherwood has made a

reasonable start to his managerial career, and if he gets the boot in

the summer (as looks likely) I think he could do a decent job here. Not

saying he''s the great white hope of English managers or anything, but we

could do a lot worse.

I would hope for someone with more experience than Sherwood, someone who has a history of management at a higher level and proven motivational and tactical skills.

No.

I appreciate what he did in keeping us up last year in the infamous second season. I''m starting to feel more confident that he will keep us up this season.

He has brought some very good players to this club.

However the year to year picture appears to indicate a decline, we won less games, gathered less points and we scored less goals last season than the year before. It looks almost certain that this season we will achieve less wins, less goals, less points and possibly concede more than last season.

CH has already outlasted the average PL manager and appears to have not progressed on last years cautiously (no pun intended) optimistic performance when given his own war chest and second pre-season to improve.

While he may not have lost all the fans he has undoubtedly lost some, and once the rot sets in a change is almost inevitable.

While European ambitions (if any fans do actually have them) are unrealistic, Norwich''s main goal each season should be to stay in the league (while progressing the club). If that is our goal, then how we play our football becomes ever more important, and CH, for whatever reason, has failed to produce consistent entertainment.

If he keeps us up this year his contribution will always have been to keep us in the PL in two very important seasons under difficult circumstances (Shadow of Lambert). I will be grateful for him for that.

However, if we do stay up (I''m hopeful!) its time for Norwich to look to progress, we have stabilised, its time to kick on, not to Europe but to entrench ourselves in this league while establishing a team capable of playing good football.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user=" chaywa"]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Adebayor and Lamela have been injured, and Defoe sold, which is the main reason he''s reverted to 4231. Soldado and Adebayor don''t suit each other very well and they have a plethora of attacking midfielders, so it makes sense to me. 4231 isn''t necessarily a defensive formation. I still think he''d be a decent gamble if we do part company with Hughton in the summer.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, that was my point. Not Timid Tim at all, just capable of picking his team to suit the resources available, not being tied to the same formation week in, week out.

Sherwood has made a reasonable start to his managerial career, and if he gets the boot in the summer (as looks likely) I think he could do a decent job here. Not saying he''s the great white hope of English managers or anything, but we could do a lot worse.

[/quote]

It seems that you missed the irony, when CH changes his tactics to suit the resources available he''s derided as being defensive but Sherwood is perceived as being attacking so when he does it it''s a good thing.

If we change our manager during the summer I think we should aim for more that ''reasonable'' & ''we could do a lot worse'' is hardly a ringing endorsement for a new manager.

Despite the lefty, apologists out there, I don''t think his being the best black manager in the Premier League warrants keeping him on.

Hughton, is a decent Championship coach and should''ve enhanced his credentials by remaining at Birmingham.

Definitely not.Of course getting a new manager in would not 100% guarantee a better season in 2014-15 than this, but if Hughton were to stay in charge you could 100% guarantee that it would be more of the same, dire football, a dismal away record, and a relegation battle we''d likely lose next time round.So a no -brainer for me. We''ve got to get someone new in who will, at the very least, give it a go, and a chance of progressing and moving forward as a club.

[quote user="Shyster"]Despite the lefty, apologists out there, I don''t think his being the best black manager in the Premier League warrants keeping him on.

Hughton, is a decent Championship coach and should''ve enhanced his credentials by remaining at Birmingham.[/quote]

Most clubs that come up have a good championship manager.  As for premiership managers, unless you take a gamble on a fancy foreign name, you are left with people like Hughes, Bruce, dare I say Lambert, Mackay, Pulis who seem to stay on the premier managership merrygoround.  I wouldn''t want any of those...........

Sherwood, Malky, Lennon, Paul bloody Lambert............are these serious suggestions???????????

CH has put together a none too shady starting 11, but after that the squad is thin (and the strikers haven''t worked out well), so a string of injuries to key players at key times has left us where we are.

Let him carry on but get in extra Prem starters at RB, CB, CM and up front.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user=" chaywa"]

[/quote]Adebayor and Lamela have been injured, and Defoe sold, which is the main reason he''s reverted to 4231. Soldado and Adebayor don''t suit each other very well and they have a plethora of attacking midfielders, so it makes sense to me. 4231 isn''t necessarily a defensive formation. I still think he''d be a decent gamble if we do part company with Hughton in the summer.[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, that was my point. Not Timid Tim at all, just capable of picking his team to suit the resources available, not being tied to the same formation week in, week out.

Sherwood has made a reasonable start to his managerial career, and if he gets the boot in the summer (as looks likely) I think he could do a decent job here. Not saying he''s the great white hope of English managers or anything, but we could do a lot worse.

[/quote]

It seems that you missed the irony, when CH changes his tactics to suit the resources available he''s derided as being defensive but Sherwood is perceived as being attacking so when he does it it''s a good thing.

If we change our manager during the summer I think we should aim for more that ''reasonable'' & ''we could do a lot worse'' is hardly a ringing endorsement for a new manager.

[/quote]Yeah, fair points all round – I see the irony now :) CH has shown more willingness to mix it up in recent weeks, and he got his reward on Saturday. However, away performances in particular only come in one shape – five across midfield, defend deep, try to counter. I feel that, in general, ''smaller'' clubs in the division tend to get rewards for playing quality, attacking football – such as Swansea and Southampton – and Sherwood might be the kind of manager who would take us forward by forcing us to dictate the tempo and play on the front foot. I''d certainly prefer a manager of that ilk after watching two years of Hughton football. He would be a gamble, but I feel that leaving Hughton in charge might be an equal, if not greater, gamble. He now has seven games to convince us that he''s worth his job.

[quote user="lake district canary"]As for premiership managers, unless you take a gamble on a fancy foreign name[/quote]Here we go again...Apparently any foreign manager who isn''t incredibly well known by the average UK football fan, somehow becomes a fancy gamble instead of a good appointment of a potentially great candidate.When Pochettino was signed by Southampton there were signs of incredulity that they''d appointed some unknown ''fancy gamble'' but it hasn''t worked out badly for them so far has it?I''d take a proven manager from Italy, Germany or Spain over the likes of Mackay, Bruce and Hughes any day, and quite why there''s such hesitance in bringing in an overseas manager I really don''t know.Give me Favre, Guidolin or Rijkaard over Hughton every single time...

I think, that if Hughton does keep us up, the football world would feel that sacking him would be very harsh. As Alan Shearer said ''What do they want down there?'' It would seem that despite the board saying they wanted to better 11th place, avoiding relegation is mission accomplished. If that is the case, then sacking him would be harsh. I generally dont like Hughton''s approach and I am frustrated by watching our players hindered by his tactics. Regardless of whether we stayed up or went down, I would welcome a change - as long as it was the change that was hoped for (someone who gets the team playing with a more aggressive style). I wouldnt welcome a change if we''re going to get the same approach, then just stick with Chris, as he''s a nice enough bloke.

A difficult one!

I''m as p*ssed of with Hughtons negative tactics and illogical team selections and substitutions as the most ardent outer but I also acknowledge we''ve had one of those seasons with lots of injuries and not getting hardly any undeserved good results!

I have always maintained last season had Lambert stayed we''d of finished lower than we did under Hughton!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]As for premiership managers, unless you take a gamble on a fancy foreign name[/quote]Here we go again...Apparently any foreign manager who isn''t incredibly well known by the average UK football fan, somehow becomes a fancy gamble instead of a good appointment of a potentially great candidate.When Pochettino was signed by Southampton there were signs of incredulity that they''d appointed some unknown ''fancy gamble'' but it hasn''t worked out badly for them so far has it?I''d take a proven manager from Italy, Germany or Spain over the likes of Mackay, Bruce and Hughes any day, and quite why there''s such hesitance in bringing in an overseas manager I really don''t know.Give me Favre, Guidolin or Rijkaard over Hughton every single time...[/quote]

Like it or not, unless you choose a tried and tested manager like Stoke and Crystal Palace and Hull have done, anyone who hasn''t had managerial experience in the  premiership is going to be a gamble.   Southampton are an exception - it could happen again, but appointments like that are still a gamble.    Do we need a gamble when we have already a manager who if we stay up has a successful record and more than two years managing at this level including his time at Newcastle?   All the clubs below us apart from Palace have managers who have little or no experience managing in the premiership.   Perhaps that is why they are below us..............

Read into this what you will, but on February 26, 2009, I had a meeting with a senior NCFC executive at Carrow Road. As a result of our discussions I decided then and there to renew my season ticket for 2014-15. Is it likely I would have made such a financial commitment if I had thought for one moment, based on what I was told, that Chris Hughton was going to be the manager?[;)]

If I genuinely believed he would let us play like we did at the weekend and that his staying would not see the likes of Zpilks and Wes pushing for summer moves then I would, despite being a big critic all season, be happy for him to continue.

As it is I am unconvinced he can throw off his conservative tendencies and I feel too many of our attacking players don''t really enjoy playing under him.

perhaps the strongest reason to keep him is to ensure the likes of lennon or malky do not join.

As Thierry H said be careful what you wish for - Lennon seems to be increasingly likely.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]perhaps the strongest reason to keep him is to ensure the likes of lennon or malky do not join.

As Thierry H said be careful what you wish for - Lennon seems to be increasingly likely.[/quote]

Good thinking[Y]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]If I genuinely believed he would let us play like we did at the weekend and that his staying would not see the likes of Zpilks and Wes pushing for summer moves then I would, despite being a big critic all season, be happy for him to continue.

As it is I am unconvinced he can throw off his conservative tendencies and I feel too many of our attacking players don''t really enjoy playing under him.[/quote]

Jimbo, can I call you Jimbo now you''re me ol'' mucker, I don''t think we played much different on Saturday to the way we played at home to most of the other bottom half teams. What did you see that was different from say Cardiff at home way back in October?

No, because we would have the same issues with CH next year as this.

It is very hard in mid-season to recruit a manager who is performing well. But that''s what we want - someone who is on the up.

We don''t need someone who''s been there briefly, done OK, then failed, been sacked and is now ready to go again. That''s about the best you can get mid-season., and that''s why I''ve been against replacing CH in recent months.

It''s all about timing in my view.

The best time to recruit will be the summer. We will be an attractive proposition (even if relegated, actually, because by Championship standards we are financially secure.)

In June any club whose manager we want to poach has time to find an adequate replacement, so they are less likely to put obstacles in our way.

What do we do about the summer transfer window? Do we go with previously identified targets and hope the new man likes them? Or do we put the whole thing on hold ''til the new manager has been recruited and then let him help decide. If we do the latter we will certainly only pick up the scraps. I''d sack him now if the inetention is to sack him in the summer. Failing that wait until the international break in October.

If the intention is to sack him allowing him to identify where we spend next season''s millions seems a rum ol'' kettle of fish to me...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

What do we do about the summer transfer window? Do we go with previously identified targets and hope the new man likes them? Or do we put the whole thing on hold ''til the new manager has been recruited and then let him help decide. If we do the latter we will certainly only pick up the scraps. I''d sack him now if the inetention is to sack him in the summer. Failing that wait until the international break in October.

If the intention is to sack him allowing him to identify where we spend next season''s millions seems a rum ol'' kettle of fish to me...

[/quote]

I think IMO that he will be here next season, he has done his job as set out by the board, (KEEP US UP) will be given an extension to his contract and given a bigger budget in the summer.