Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Attributes of the present manager

"You should work for the Daily Mail................."

How ironic that the biggest spin merchant on the forum is suggesting I become a journalist.

[quote user="Le Juge"]"You should work for the Daily Mail................."

How ironic that the biggest spin merchant on the forum is suggesting I become a journalist.[/quote]I said work for the Daily Mail........journalism doesn''t come in to that.....

That is probably the polar opposite to my newspaper of choice. I''d nominate you for the Sunday Sport because there aren''t many words in it, the readership wouldn''t have to tolerate your insufferable nonsense and you might become too preoccupied with pictures of big plastic t*ts to write your boring daily pinkun essays.

[quote user="Le Juge"]That is probably the polar opposite to my newspaper of choice. I''d nominate you for the Sunday Sport because there aren''t many words in it, the readership wouldn''t have to tolerate your insufferable nonsense and you might become too preoccupied with pictures of big plastic t*ts to write your boring daily pinkun essays.[/quote]

Well I can safely say I''ve never looked at a Sunday Sport paper, so I can''t verify that.  But as you seem to know, I''ll bow to your better judgement on that one.  You enjoy looking at the t*ts on Sunday.....I''ll be looking on here, hopefully talking about us having won three points at Swansea.........

Ginger Pele wrote:

In what way is he successful at managing at premiership level?

He has brought ONE younger player into the first team properly, and shown he has very very very little desire at doing so with others.

Half his signings have been below average or huge let downs.

Able to get results sometimes. But not consistently at all, can''t expect regular wins but we have no consistency. Well, no positive consistency.

So?

That doesn''t make him a good manager

That isn''t helping him be a good manager

He isn''t building the team, he signed a load of players and half of them don''t even fit into the team/his style

He celebrated a goal, wow. He''s our manager. Thats expected.

-----------------

The main point I would counter what you said would be - he isn''t successful in the premiership.

I''m sorry to everyone who thinks he hasn''t got a good record, but he has, thats fact not opinion. He led newly promoted newcastle to 10th before being sacked and he''s just finished 11th in the perm with a team full of a different managers players. How is that not successful ?

Also, a question for GP if you read this, when you say half of his signings have been huge let downs - which players? I can understand RVW, but who else have been huge let downs.

When the manager succeeds in consistent performance, and not necessarily winning by it, then I will describe him as an experienced and successful Premiership manager. This seems to be the most important quality of a manager. Even after 70 games I am not sure I could describe him as experienced. He has been on a long learning curve with us, and is only now beginning to show some signs of flexibility and imagination in approach. I was encouraged by the clear change in tactics away at Stoke, but too often the players have masked any instructions he may have given them, with a resulting shambles.

He is a gracious loser, and is generous in praise of opponents, but usually in phrases he has used so frequently that it seems like a recording. I would gladly exchange a little of this "courtesy" for a bite more passion and aggression. If he is able to get results, this seems true only when he is on the point of dismissal and, presumably, the players take things into their own hands and get him a result.

There are managers who drive their teams relentlessly, Laudrop for instance. In the end I suspect they will fail because the players do not respect them. Hughton is towards the other extreme and needs a little more assertion and steel. Whether he has this in him, I don''t know.