Sign in to follow this  
the pigman

Relegation Battles

It has been said on here I am sure that a good relegation battle is far more entertaining for fans than mid table,look at the atmosphere Saturday.Do we fans secretly enjoy it all working out how many points we need,who do teams around us have to play,why we play well one game and $hit another.Is it worth it when finally we are safe and celebrate like promotion.In reality it is what a team like N C F C will constantly be involved in season after season in the prem or in the championship we will be top two or in the play off places feeling much the same emotions.In fact is there anyone on here would like us to drop down to div 1 again and do it all again.We will never get to top 4 in prem so all the excitement comes in the bottom half of the table where this season is beyond belief.

[quote user="HootonOut"]Our first season back in the PL was never a relegation battle and that was a very enjoyable season.[/quote]

I was thinking exactly the same.  Having said that, a lot of the enjoyment was the novelty of going to places like Old Trafford, Goodison Park etc after so long away from them.  Plus relief that it wasn''t a repeat of the last time we were in the Prem when we never really got out of the drop zone.

The novelty has worn off and I suspect a season or two in mid-table and many of us would start to find it a bit boring.  Memories are short.

If we had exciting players making international headlines like Southampton do this year and Swansea did last year then i''d take the mid table mediocrity.

I suppose you can argue that we are lowr mid table, we have been a mid table side all year and only been in the bottom 3 for one week and thus only been involved in the relegation battle for onw week this season, we are a mid table side!

With all respect it''s only few weeks ago that Villa in 10th to Fulham at the bottom were seperated by 7 points. Now we have Stoke in 10th when 4 games ago they were below us!

I like to think anything from 15-7 is mid table, so we are a mid table side and hace been comfortably all season bar one week ;-)

Well technically we have been in the mid-table places for most of the season, it''s the word "comfortable" I have an issue with.  It has been so cramped in the middle that until recently everyone from 11th or 10th downwards was in the relegation scrap.  Now things have opened up a bit and the cut-off where teams are still realistically at risk is probably 13th/14th now.

So we are both mid-table and very much still in the relegation battle.

It''s the comfortable thing that is key. We were far happier after finishing 12th than we were last season finishing 11th as we didn''t have the worry of relegation hanging over us. If we can win two out of the next three, we can relax and I reckon most people will be reasonably happy overall despite us still being on 38 points.

I don''t see how it could ever be boring in the Prem. Games against the top sides are what it is all about, what we aspire to and in mamhy ways our cup finals. When the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea etc come calling- a noisy buzzing Carrow Road and the thrill of a potential upset, it is very exciting. The more "mundane" fixtures are still ones to savour, but for different reasons- the hope of a win, all hard fought at this level. Who does not enjoy the exposure in the media and especially on TV, more live games and MOTD highlights (although there is the downside of Danny Mills). Relegation just troubles me, every year the Championship seems more difficult to get out of and more clingy. I never felt under Bond and then Brown/Stringer when we had extended runs in the top tier that they were ever boring.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]It''s the comfortable thing that is key. We were far happier after finishing 12th than we were last season finishing 11th as we didn''t have the worry of relegation hanging over us. If we can win two out of the next three, we can relax and I reckon most people will be reasonably happy overall despite us still being on 38 points.[/quote]However, despite much pantwetting there never was much chance of relegation last season. That was fairly obvious from a long way out.This season there has always been a nagging worry despite not being in the bottom three since very early on. We will probably remain just out of danger but in the end there will only be two or three points to spare.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]It''s the comfortable thing that is key. We were far happier after finishing 12th than we were last season finishing 11th as we didn''t have the worry of relegation hanging over us. If we can win two out of the next three, we can relax and I reckon most people will be reasonably happy overall despite us still being on 38 points.[/quote]

However, despite much pantwetting there never was much chance of relegation last season. That was fairly obvious from a long way out.

This season there has always been a nagging worry despite not being in the bottom three since very early on. We will probably remain just out of danger but in the end there will only be two or three points to spare.
[/quote]

I suspect that depends on the next two weeks Ricardo, If we can get a draw at Swansea and beat WBA while those at the bottm continue to lose ground I can still se us beating Arsenal at home and even getting something of a suprise at Man U.

Arsenal have nothing left but the FA cup and Wenger is being pushed to produce silverwear this year, so I really do see him protecting his team come the visit to FCR and United are a shadow of the team they were and no doubt with them losing to Man City now looking like 7th will be them done!

If we can just get that draw and win then I think 40 points is the mark and even a top 14 finish!

[quote user="Indy"]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]It''s the comfortable thing that is key. We were far happier after finishing 12th than we were last season finishing 11th as we didn''t have the worry of relegation hanging over us. If we can win two out of the next three, we can relax and I reckon most people will be reasonably happy overall despite us still being on 38 points.[/quote]However, despite much pantwetting there never was much chance of relegation last season. That was fairly obvious from a long way out.This season there has always been a nagging worry despite not being in the bottom three since very early on. We will probably remain just out of danger but in the end there will only be two or three points to spare.[/quote]

I suspect that depends on the next two weeks Ricardo, If we can get a draw at Swansea and beat WBA while those at the bottm continue to lose ground I can still se us beating Arsenal at home and even getting something of a suprise at Man U.

Arsenal have nothing left but the FA cup and Wenger is being pushed to produce silverwear this year, so I really do see him protecting his team come the visit to FCR and United are a shadow of the team they were and no doubt with them losing to Man City now looking like 7th will be them done!

If we can just get that draw and win then I think 40 points is the mark and even a top 14 finish!

[/quote]I doubt Wenger is thinking that way. Arsenal still need to secure an automatic Champions League place, and they are out of those at the moment, Failing that they would certainly not want to drop below their current 4th, so they at least get into the CL qualifiers. I would guess Wenger cares much more about qualifying for the CL than he does the FA Cup. Arsenal could have a great deal to play for in that last game.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Indy"]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]It''s the comfortable thing that is key. We were far happier after finishing 12th than we were last season finishing 11th as we didn''t have the worry of relegation hanging over us. If we can win two out of the next three, we can relax and I reckon most people will be reasonably happy overall despite us still being on 38 points.[/quote]However, despite much pantwetting there never was much chance of relegation last season. That was fairly obvious from a long way out.This season there has always been a nagging worry despite not being in the bottom three since very early on. We will probably remain just out of danger but in the end there will only be two or three points to spare.[/quote]

[/quote]I doubt Wenger is thinking that way. Arsenal still need to secure an automatic Champions League place, and they are out of those at the moment, Failing that they would certainly not want to drop below their current 4th, so they at least get into the CL qualifiers. I would guess Wenger cares much more about qualifying for the CL than he does the FA Cup. Arsenal could have a great deal to play for in that last game.[/quote]Arsenal look to have almost no chance of 3rd spot now but 4th seems much more likely. It''s quite possible they will have nothing to play for position-wise come the final game. In that case the FA Cup theory sounds quite plausible.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Indy"]

[/quote]I doubt Wenger is thinking that way. Arsenal still need to secure an automatic Champions League place, and they are out of those at the moment, Failing that they would certainly not want to drop below their current 4th, so they at least get into the CL qualifiers. I would guess Wenger cares much more about qualifying for the CL than he does the FA Cup. Arsenal could have a great deal to play for in that last game.[/quote]Arsenal look to have almost no chance of 3rd spot now but 4th seems much more likely. It''s quite possible they will have nothing to play for position-wise come the final game. In that case the FA Cup theory sounds quite plausible.[/quote]Their next game is at home to Man City. A win would give them at least a chance of finishing third. Perhaps more importantly after that they have Everton away. Lose that game and they could well still be fighting to stay in 4th ahead of (probably) Everton when it comes to the final game. Equally they might not. But, and this was my point,  I don''t think there is any doubt that Wenger would, if he has to, prioritise qualifying for the CL over the FA Cup.

Everton are 6 points behind Arsenal, they have a game in hand and have to play Gunners, they could still nick that fourth spot.

It will be all or nothing against Arsenal on the final day.  It''s quite possible they will be stuck in 4th place with no risk of dropping to 5th & no chance of 3rd, in which case they''ll be in a similar position to Man City last year. 

But if they have a chance of moving from 4th to 3rd, or a risk of dropping down to 5th, that''ll be a totally different story.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

Everton are 6 points behind Arsenal, they have a game in hand and have to play Gunners, they could still nick that fourth spot.

[/quote]They could but Arsenal are short odds IMO.