Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

29yrs ago.....

What was the game itself like? I have heard it was by no means a classic? I mean even the goal was fortuitous.

Still, must have been a fantastic day though (I wasn''t born!!)

That was the best day ever, I went with my mate Nels (Utrecht fan) who worked with me on the rigs and we got there about 9 in the morning and started getting wasted on London Pride and Gordon''s Gin chasers.  By the time that kicked off, he''d already pissed his jeans and I was on my second pair of underpants but my God when that Hartford shot hit that Sunderland player and went in, I reckon I spat all my teeth out.  Then they got a penalty and we all started booing, oh here we go I thought, f*cking typical City, go and f*ck the f*cking game up as f*cking usual, but just as we were about to kick off our "Ken Brown Out" chants, their player hit the post and to be honest I can''t remember the second half, or how I got out of the stadium, or how I ended up in Brixton with a wife called Delicious, but what the hell, you make your bed and you lie on the f*cking thing.  On my own, as that usually turned out.  Sorry for the language, that''s an emotional memory. That was the worst day ever.

I went by coach from stoke.there was about 6 Norwich fans and the rest were all Sunderland fans ,1 of the arses broke my flag on the return journey but never mind we had won the cup !! Some yrs later threw work I got introduced to another Norwich fan and he was 1 of the other fans on the coach .Would love another visit to Wembly but hopefully it won''t take another 29 yrs.I won''t be here in 29yrs !!

Nearly got me the sack.  Fantastic day all round, but lost my voice through shouting so much and couldn''t sing for the evening gig........wore my halfy-half scarf (half green and half yellow)  and hat all evening, which caused some discussion and puzzlement............but was one of the best days to be a supporter, ever.

I''m told it was a great day and that I had a good time.

I organised a coach from Gorleston and didnt set a great example as was worse for wear not long after Ipswich........and all I seem to remember is going ape when we scored and falling down a few steps and as I was coming out of Wembley following Laurie McMenemy and Bobby Charlton and being amazed by the amount of dandruff Laurie McMenemy had........strange but true. 

a mate and I went up in the back of an old volvo estate with his brother and his mates - we were in the boot bit covered in union jacks, city scarves and cans of beer. remember when sunderland missed their penalty it almost got a louder cheer than our goal! - also remember mark barham I think running about 60 yards to get on to a volley which just went over - would have been goal of the century!! the rest is hazy - not just from the typical old wembley obscured view!

Although overjoyed at the win i was confined to my sick bed with a horrendous dose of chicken pox, i couldnt shave or brush my hair, i looked like Robinson Crusoe after 3 weeks !!

As a 14 year old at Wembley for the first time with 100,000 in attendance and a Norwich victory seemed like heaven at the time.

In hindsight, the game was a complete pile of manure and arguably the worst ever final to grace the hallowed Wembley turf. Neutral fans had to self harm to keep themselves going it was that bad.

The only good that came out of it was the Norwich victory, but as an event, it was dismal.

in my life time but sadly not my supporting lifetime!

I had it on video, Denis Van Wyk would get sent off for a hand ball like that today!

not a good game to watch but who cares!!! I have the match progam somehwere too. My Grandfather gave it to me before he died.

I''d give all I had to see us win at Wembley.. still means more than anything to the majority of football fans.

I wonder where Waveney Canary was that day?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

I had it on video, Denis Van Wyk would get sent off for a hand ball like that today!

not a good game to watch but who cares!!! I have the match progam somehwere too. My Grandfather gave it to me before he died.

I''d give all I had to see us win at Wembley.. still means more than anything to the majority of football fans.

[/quote]

Yet to exist I would bet!

Lots of great memories of that day despite having the worse case of flu that I have ever had in my life!  Pulled up alongside Trevor Brooking on the North Circ on the way to the game and had some pre-match banter.  Memorable rendition of On The Ball City by Sunderland fans outside The Torch pub near to Wembley Park tube station. Totally wiped out by flu and the emotion of the match at the final whistle - so much so that Sunderland fans couldn''t work out why I was looking so miserable after we''d actually won.

[quote user="MancCanary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote] Yet to exist I would bet![/quote]

I wouldn''t.. I would bet he was at Villa Park though...

It a years time can we make a version of that Badiel and skinner song.... "30 years of huuurrt" etc etc