Sign in to follow this  
Bobzilla

Bit off topic - nuisance and NIMBYs

Not football, but could very easily be. Imagine if someone moved next door to CR and tried to get the place shut down because of noise - it could happen under current law, even though CR was there first.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/62894

Apparently the house belonging to the couple who brought this case against Mildenhall stadium burnt down in an "accidental" fire?

Absolute madness!

Mildenahall speedway on a Sunday afternoon is a great day out and have done it many times, shame it wasn''t just outside Norwich!

Anyones whos been to the Stadium will know its one of the most rural settings for a stadium you''ll ever get. Its literally about a mile outside of a little hamlet called West Row (hence the name West Row stadium) down a dead end lane in the Fens!

Its also opposite the runways for Mildenhall Airbase. During speedway meetings if a plane comes over to land next door you can''t hear yourself think!

Theres been motorsport at the venue since the early 1970''s and the complaining couple moved into the house in 2006!

That should be the end of the arguement in my opinion if you applyed common sense. Another ridiculous claim from the couple is that they only knew of the stadiums existance after buying the house yet you have to go past the 10,000 capacity venue on a dead end road to get to the house!!

If this stadium is at risk then every other stadium is!

I urge all people who support properly organised leisure and sports facilities to sign this petition!

Must admit I''m not totally familiar with the facts of this case, but the ruling seems to provide a partial restriction, rather than an absolute prohibition on motorsports, meaning that the stadium is likely to remain open but with a reduced number of events. With that in mind, I would have thought that the number of games Norwich play at home would be insufficient to merit a restriction on our use of the stadium but you never know. There are dangers with reforming this area of law, and the courts have repeatedly rejected arguments based on the public benefit of the nuisance concerned, but most of the law in this area is common law, so legislation might serve to provide a more forgiving framework for sports clubs.