Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Team for Swansea

The Southampton experiment didn''t work and would last week''s line up work away against a better side than Sunderland?  

Ruddy Martin Yobo Bassong OllsonSnodgrass  Tettey Howson Gutierrez            Elmander RVW

Hoolahan Hooper Redmond to come on from a strong bench.

Why on earth would you start RVW ahead of Hooper, he was a little boy lost again against Sunderland!

[quote user="Alfie54"]Why on earth would you start RVW ahead of Hooper, he was a little boy lost again against Sunderland![/quote]

No he wasn''t. Try re watching the game and see how much he won the ball and how he passes better than Hooper. Hooper is the one who looks lost, he had goal scoring form and now he looks like he''s never scored a goal in his life.

[quote user="Alfie54"]Why on earth would you start RVW ahead of Hooper, he was a little boy lost again against Sunderland![/quote]Not in my opinion.   His harassing and work rate are valuable to the team - as has been proven in recent games - plus I think he is more likely to score away from home too, away from the pressure of CR.   Hooper has not been putting chances away recently either, has he....... 

[quote user="Alfie54"]Why on earth would you start RVW ahead of Hooper, he was a little boy lost again against Sunderland![/quote]Wolfswinkel was good against Sunderland.Not sure what game you were watching

Agreed, RvW was v good against Sunderland, except of course for the 2 missed chances. His work rate ,passing, lay offs and link up play was excellent.

Whats more, if he isnt played, then he definitely wont score.(it takes a special kind of insight to make the blindingly obvious sound wise).

[quote user="Nuff Said"]If he''s fit, Turner instead of Bassong.[/quote]

Good call. Bassong is rubbish. He was so bad against Sunderland it was unbelievable.

For this one I would certainly be tempted to have the five man midfield, I would also consider Elmander being my man up front........there again would I.......it is really difficult to pick a team isnt it, and for sure regardless of which one our manager picks he will be wrong as usual in many peoples eyes and if we win it will be because Swansea were poor. 

My best guess is the starting line up will be the same as last week.

Whilst most of us have ideas on how we should play away from home, at home, when the sun shines, when it rains, etc. I think CH on this ocassion will not want to upset the balance and spirit of the guys, by making changes to something that worked.

Remember this is Chris Hughton.

I would select same back 4 with Turner on bench

A midfield of Tettey, Howson, Snodgrass and Jonas, with Redmond on bench. Think CH likes Jonas and may play him.

Hoolahan in the hole and to be deployed as extra cover in midfield.

RVW to try and stretch their two CB''s. Elmander on bench to be introduced if we need to change line up if game needs it.

IMO Elmander was immense for us last week. In fact I felt he was one of the main reasons we won. he continually harried and closed down not only the S''land defenders but also the goalie, it resulted in rushed passing and clearances from their back line and set the overall tone for a much more assertive performance. His pass to Snod for the first goal was a great piece of calmness and absolutely perfect. I''d be tempted to start with exactly the same line up and attitude as against Sunderland but agree with LDC that Guttierrez in place of Hoolahan may be a good call, we''ll probably need his extra bite in a 4 man midfield.

Being a Norfolk boy I''m used to "if it ain''t broke, don''t mend it"

Last week was one of the best performances of the season.

We are we afraid of Swansea?

They are two points behind us and lower in the table. It''s about time we played with the confidence we showed at home last week at away matches, especially to teams below us.

I fully agree that Elmander was superb last week, not only with his play but also with his leadership of the line, the team, and his encouragement to other players to press the Sunderland defence.

Same team, same approach and same tactics as last week.

RVW simply doesn''t look like scoring, there seems to be the he must come good at some time attitude, I''ve seen no evidence of it, play Hooper up front and there is at least a chance of him scoring. His contribution apparently,was all of the harrying he did, in that case why not play another midfielder who will do that job better. He was an expensive mistake, it happens, there''s no point in pretending otherwise!

Well RVW has to start for me because the only way to win against them is to press them high up the pitch with everyone working together, Ricky is the best striker we have for that, so that would be the main thing I would say. Close them down quickly, they have lost most of their good players and aren''t as comfortable as they were playing it along the back four into midfield, thats the only way we''ll win imo