Sign in to follow this  
whoareyou?

Well now we know why Man U get all thsoe penalties

As if to perhaps confirm what we already knew, Man Utd HAVE to win things so Scudamore and his ilk can make money out of the Premier League.Its not really much of a fair and even competition is it? And perhaps its not really even a sport anymore when it comes down to it.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26782112

I saw this too, got to be a joke - should the chief exec of the Premier League really be spouting this garbage in public?

Basically saying we need Man Utd to be winning or the league is a failure/boring/pointless. Unbelievable.

Utterly, utterly depressing. It just shows that the Premier League are only interested in establishing a brand and making money, rather than producing a competitive sport. We''ve always known this to be the case, but this is new levels of blatant.

They might as well branch off into a super league - after all, it''s a bit pointless being a club outside the top 8 if that is their attitude.

Absolutely shocking comments.

Also strikes me as pretty naive.  After all, you''re not talking hardcore Man U fans in places like China or Thailand really are you ?  I''m sure if Man U miss out on the CL this season, quite a few will desert to Chelsea etc, no harm done.  Travelling in the Far East a few months back, although there were plenty of Man U branded products, there were also plenty for Chelsea, Everton, Arsenal etc.  For many of these people it''s a bit of fun to have a western branded product and they''re not fans in our sense of the word. 

I agree with that ICF. Teams like Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool are not exactly unknown worldwide are they?

Fairly certain that all fans of the sport would prefer to see exciting and competitive matches, rather than the foregone conclusion that a lot of matches (and indeed the league) can be.

You need to look at it as an outsider - For example would Barcelona sitting in 7th of la liga still make it an attractive league to watch from around the world? SPL lost Rangers and look at the concerns for scottish football that caused.

For years everyone''s loved watching United hit adversity from new managers, investments etc. and fergie''s managed somehow to land on top and conquer it again. I think that''s the point he''s making, it''s almost like a TV series losing it''s big plot line.

And no matter how you try to cover it up, they need worldwide interest to bring in the funds for clubs to buy world class players. It''s very simple.

Yes Skijumptoes but surely one if the "big 4" (arguably the biggest) suffering a bit opens up competition slightly more, therefore probably bringing even more interest than if the league was won by Man Utd almost by default? We now have teams like Everton and Spurs fighting up there, this can only be a good thing and enhances interest surely?

It''ll take a bit of time for the transition, but I can''t see why the likes of Man City and Chelsea can''t take over and be dominant in asia. Perhaps it''s more suitable to Arsenal and Liverpool as they play in red.

In business, things that take a ''bit of time'' is a factor you don''t want to be dealing with, at least that will be Scudamore''s concern.

I''m against the ludicrous money in the game, so i agree 100% that it''s a good thing for the competition to be open from the viewpoint of the game - but sadly it won''t be like that. Instead it will be contested with who has the richest owner(s) and below that a random scattering of teams who look hopeful, but never stood a chance of mounting a serious challenge.

The biggest pull for the prem to an outside audience usually involve United, so that would be games like Utd v Liverpool, v arsenal etc. due to the derby nature, and a Man Utd led by fergie going into a top two fight with Mourinho at Chelsea would be the big money puller over a season.

Honestly, i don''t think many supporters around the world are too concerned if Everton hit europe or not!?

I also don''t think a worldwide audience are too interested in the money of Chelsea and Man City battling it out at the top, similar colours, similar route to success. There''s no good vs bad element going on there and no legacy to fall back on. This is the very strong ingredient that La Liga has with Barca v RM.

But most importantly, form Scudamore''s perspective, Who could replace the whiter than white iconic image of United?

For me i agree it would have to be Liverpool/Arsenal. But can''t see either of them consistently competing for the number one spot.

There is certainly something in this....... Being an expat plastic myself based in a particularly multi cultural city, then I can clearly see that Manure are by a considerable distance the most followed EPL side and many of their fans abroad are now second and third generation distance supporters, they are a huge draw when compared to any other top EPL side, even in Abu Dhabi who own Citeh of course.

Manure are one of the three best supported European club sides globally along with Barcelona and Real Madrid and then following behind of course are the great Norwich City.........not..........it really pains me when I am asked who I support by a Middle East or Asian colleague, and I tell them and they say "who?"....and then where abouts is that...near London?  

Always said Arsenal got special treatment from referees (the last 5 minutes at the Emirates last season was all the evidence anyone would ever need) to protect the Premier League brand. Almost from the horses mouth about the bigger clubs

I remember doing a stats analysis around this type of thing some time ago, which clearly showed that the big sides got a clear advantage in general (Man Utd in particular) around penalty decisions (both for and against), and that''s not including all the little fouls, unfair cards and disallowed goals (Spurs goal against Utd where Roy Carroll was virtually in the stand and they still claimed it wasn''t over the line).Link for the article here[url=http://indybonestruth.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/foul-play-at-top.html]Foul Play At The Top?[/url]

Don''t know why what he''s said has upset anyone!
Its common sense.
A huge portion of the Premierships popularity world wide is down to Manchester United. Them failing so badly is going to have negative implications. Of course Arsenal have a big appeal in some other countries, Man City have tried to build popularity in places, Liverpool with their American owners, Chelsea trying to be global like Man.U. 
But despite Manchester United not being quite as successful basically since Abramovic came along they still have won the league a couple times, do fairly well in the Champions League. They still have enough success to appeal world wide. Unless they somehow manage to win the CL this season they are going to lose some of that. And that will have a negative effect.

Can''t believe bigger clubs get the benefit of the doubt based on the premier leagues say so..

It''s the FA that regulate the game, they''ve got shares in the premier league but that''s as far as it goes.

….oh wait! :)

lol, seriously, who knows what goes on - Personally i like to think that bigger clubs get these decisions because they are a bigger club, that simple, i don''t think there is a conspiracy at play here. Just a law of averages for the ref who''s making the split decision.

What fall out is there in the public eye if a ref fails to give us a penalty and we lost points vs not giving Man City, Chelsea, United etc.?! I don''t think that''s money driven personally, at least not from their employers (FA/Prem League).

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

There is certainly something in this....... Being an expat plastic myself based in a particularly multi cultural city, then I can clearly see that Manure are by a considerable distance the most followed EPL side and many of their fans abroad are now second and third generation distance supporters, they are a huge draw when compared to any other top EPL side, even in Abu Dhabi who own Citeh of course.

Manure are one of the three best supported European club sides globally along with Barcelona and Real Madrid and then following behind of course are the great Norwich City.........not..........it really pains me when I am asked who I support by a Middle East or Asian colleague, and I tell them and they say "who?"....and then where abouts is that...near London?  

[/quote]

I am finding on my travels that foreigners are very fickle and there is a lot of love for Chelsea etc basically who has the stars.

They also tend to follow players more than clubs in many cases.

For me it''s not Manchester United that''s the issue the issue is the best superstars playing for real barca, paris and Munich

In a world x1 who is plating in the prem?

I don''t care anyhow we are beggars at the feast and I would prefer a poorer fairer league