Sign in to follow this  
Jacks Back

Do we change a winning formula?

Fair play to CH last week. The formation worked a treat, and it was refreshing seeing us play entertaining football (mostly in the 1st half), and 2nd half was all about seeing it out. But certainly at times we were very open in midfield, and you feel if it was against any other team they would''ve had more chances on goal.

But Swansea are another team below us, so why wouldn''t we go there to win the game rather than grinding out a 0-0?

So, stick or twist? And what changes would you make if any?

For me, stick. Howson is versatile enough to play a more combative role to combat Swansea''s possession football in the middle of the park, and Hughton will still have options from the bench if required.

I think it''s possible Hughton may go for Redmond or Pilks over Hoolahan, simply because they provide more structure against a team who like to keep the ball, but my personal opinion would be to keep things the same.

If we go there looking for the 0-0, we''ll lose. I''d far rather see us go for it. Swansea are hardly Barcelona.

Hoolahan must play, we look twice the attacking team with him there making a nuisance of himself. I''d stick with the same line up as last time.

The formation won once, but we have had a good record at home all season anyway. The question is will it also work away from home and facing a Team like Swansea. Will Hughton become more defensive, as he often is away?

I suspect that, given Swansea''s attacking prowess and potential, Hughton will go a little more defensive, - "better try for a draw and perhaps sneak a breakaway goal, rather than go for glory and get punished."

If this is the case, it becomes a choice between Wes and Elmander, with Howson pushed forward and Johnson bolstering the defence.

We certainly will not out pass Swansea or have more of the ball than them, so that indicates to me that change should be considered. I would be tempted to go five in midfield and would personally not play Wes in this game as I feel it will pass him buy, would rather see Elmander slotted in either as part of the five, just behind the frontman or even playing as the lone striker......we certainly have options even with Fer missing, and he would be my first name on the team sheet if fit for this one.

[quote user="lazy district canary"]Elmander as a lone striker.

LOLZ[/quote]

No thanks, we just don''t look like ever scoring set up like that. We need someone in front of him to aim for, even if they are missing chances at the moment!

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]We certainly will not out pass Swansea or have more of the ball than them, so that indicates to me that change should be considered. I would be tempted to go five in midfield and would personally not play Wes in this game as I feel it will pass him buy, would rather see Elmander slotted in either as part of the five, just behind the frontman or even playing as the lone striker......we certainly have options even with Fer missing, and he would be my first name on the team sheet if fit for this one.[/quote]

We may not have as much of the ball as them no - certainly if we take our ball-playing AM out of the team. To be honest, against a team like Swansea, away, I think we need to get at them and press them high up so they have to defend more than they attack. Their defending is shaky this season, and they''re not quite as slick and confident as last season with relegation still a worry.. so I would play the same team, and tell them to get right in their faces, keeping the ball high up the pitch as much as possible. It''s when we look best, and where Swansea look worst.

If you look at Swansea they have players than can hurt us, but defensively they can be got at. If we can nick the first goal and then play on the counter we have a real chance. I would expect a few goals in this game. The worse case scenario is Hughton goes on the defensive, they get in front and we fall apart. If we get ahead we can''t afford to just sit back. Please, no more Villa-like capitulations! Have a go at them ffs- they are under pressure to win this one.

No!

Sitting back with no attacking plan other than lumping the ball up the field didn''t work at Southampton!

I understand why you sometimes against the better sides you need another body in midfield but you still need to have attacking outlets cause attack is the 1st form of defence and the ball isn''t continually coming back at you which was the case at Southampton!

With Tetty in the line up we have better protection for the backline anyway!

I''d play the same line up with Hooper instead of RVW!

Stick to last weeks line up. Swansea haven''t been doing that well of late, but with Bony and Michu now back, it''s not going to be easy

I seem to remember Wes playing really well in this fixture last season so if my memory serves me well I see no reason to leave him out. Still think Swansea are ridiculously overrated, and see no real reason why we can''t break our away duck here.

[quote user="Alex "]I seem to remember Wes playing really well in this fixture last season so if my memory serves me well I see no reason to leave him out. Still think Swansea are ridiculously overrated, and see no real reason why we can''t break our away duck here.[/quote]

...totally forgot about Stoke and West Brom (?). Still keep thinking we''ve not won away this season ;).