Sign in to follow this  
pete

Yobo would like a move to City

I am sure he does done very well recently but 33 and still under contract to Fenerbache. Players on loan generally perform well get signed and then fail to perform remember David Whatsisname the Danish striker we had on loan from Wimbledon I think.

If we can get for bargain price and only offer 1 or 2 year deal maybe a good move.

Would rather see Turner given another deal his contract is up in Summer. Our best defender at the end of season we may be left with Bassong and Bennett at CB.

If still in Prem will need an extra quality CB who will not come cheap. Turner must be persuaded to stay give him the £2m original transfer fee as a signing on fee.

I''d take him on a free. His wages will be pretty high and he will have no resale value, but he''s really shred us up back there. I know it''s not every game, but when him and Bassong are on form, there''s not many that get past.

We could keep Turner and Bennett and that would be our four again. I think we need to focus on our goalscoring problems before defence. More options in the centre and a couple of exciting, unpredictable players. One Bony style forward to complete the line up, like that bloke with Diabetes that was on here the other day and we''re good to go.

Is he out of contract at the end of the season (a bit like Elmander)?

Yobo has been excellent since he''s been here and it doesn''t look like fitness is an issue. For me, we need to keep both Yobo and Turner, and bring in one other if possible.

I would be hugely surprised (and mightily p***ed off) if whoever it is managing us next season thinks it would be ok to go with Yobo, Bassong, Bennett and Turner as our centre halves. Not that they haven''t done their bit and performed well this season, but we need to continue building and progressing - and in this area we haven''t for nearly 2 seasons.

Is one area that needed strengthening in the summer, and Yobo seems very much a stop gap until the end of the season. A quality centre half in the summer asap please.

Much would obviously depend on the Board, overall season result and our situation next season. In particular, if Hughton is here for next season, would he be given much transfer money, in the light of failures so far by expensive strikers? If we are in the Championship, I think that whoever is manager will be looking for someone younger, in the hope of winning and then consolidating in the Premiership.

How much the manager would have to spend will also depend on other areas of the team. Which players will be released or sold, and how much will it cost to find better replacements.

Finally, the question is how much it would cost to sign Yobo, both in transfer fee and wages, and assuming that the manager regards him as good enough.

I think that we shall need a good CB, to supplement Bassong and Turner, plus Bennett. If we sign a RB, a current weak point, then Martin makes a good fist of CB and we would have four anyway.

As to Yobo''s quality, I think that he is about the same as Bassong.

If he is affordable and a deal can work out then for me its a no brainer, he is class and most definately has at least two more seasons in him, he doesnt look close to being passed his sell buy yet. To be honest I personally am delighted that our club has such excellent players on our books like Yobo, Bassong and Turner right now, it really is a very short time since we had Nelson and Ward and were impressed by signings of Ayala and Bennett. To get better than these three would cost big money, it would be better to sign a reasonable cost Yobo (if that is the case) and invest in another up and coming younger CB like Bennett.

Toure at Liverpool is 33 and Vidic is 32 and moving to a top Italian side, so why ever would we not want to sign Yobo the captain of Nigeria a top international side, who other than one indifferent match when the side played poorly has been excellent for us and brilliantly professional.

Yobo still under contract at least a year to go, will need therefore to pay a fee for his services.

I''d be surprised if a centre back who is 34 in September plays a part Norwich''s long term plans.Yobo has proved a good stop-gap measure though - at Carrow Rd at least.  Less so away.

People seem to forget Sylvain Distin is like 36 and still going strongYobo has been brilliant since he arrived.If this price is right and we can have him for another year or two.Personally think it''s worth it.

Keep Yobo and Turner (and Bassong too, of course).

Find someone to buy Bennett and replace him with someone better.

I would be OK with Yobo staying, do we really need Turner? Is Bennet going to fulfill his potential? Will Bassong get over his second season slump next season? Will we be able to afford them all if we are relegated?

Stay up and I would like to keep Yobo Bassong, Bennett and bring in a top class CB.

I would let Turner go.

jesus wept no no no no no no no no and noif this is the level of our ambition we will be in the same struggle to survive yet againdont waste money on old menwe need two new centre back and a new right back, an attacking midfielder and a left footed version of redmond, and thats not even mentioning the strikerswe need young and hungry not old and decrepit and looking for one last pay day, we should be looking to bring in players like harry maguire, will hughes, naughton, bertrand, ings

[quote user="iron_stan"]jesus wept no no no no no no no no and noif this is the level of our ambition we will be in the same struggle to survive yet againdont waste money on old menwe need two new centre back and a new right back, an attacking midfielder and a left footed version of redmond, and thats not even mentioning the strikerswe need young and hungry not old and decrepit and looking for one last pay day, we should be looking to bring in players like harry maguire, will hughes, naughton, bertrand, ings[/quote]Our single biggest failing last summer was the failure to secure a class centre back. We were in the market for several but we could''nt close out a deal. If we stay up this has to be a priority and I agree it probably has to be someone a good bit younger than Yobo.

[quote user="iron_stan"]jesus wept no no no no no no no no and noif this is the level of our ambition we will be in the same struggle to survive yet againdont waste money on old menwe need two new centre back and a new right back, an attacking midfielder and a left footed version of redmond, and thats not even mentioning the strikerswe need young and hungry not old and decrepit and looking for one last pay day, we should be looking to bring in players like harry maguire, will hughes, naughton, bertrand, ings[/quote]We can''t go about changing half the team every yearWe need some consistency

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

If he is affordable and a deal can work out then for me its a no brainer, he is class and most definately has at least two more seasons in him, he doesnt look close to being passed his sell buy yet. To be honest I personally am delighted that our club has such excellent players on our books like Yobo, Bassong and Turner right now, it really is a very short time since we had Nelson and Ward and were impressed by signings of Ayala and Bennett. To get better than these three would cost big money, it would be better to sign a reasonable cost Yobo (if that is the case) and invest in another up and coming younger CB like Bennett.

Toure at Liverpool is 33 and Vidic is 32 and moving to a top Italian side, so why ever would we not want to sign Yobo the captain of Nigeria a top international side, who other than one indifferent match when the side played poorly has been excellent for us and brilliantly professional.

[/quote]Don''t knock Michael Nelson! He did a great job for us in League 1. Granted he''s not a Premier League player, but he scored the goal at Charlton that saw us promoted and then scored again at Gillingham the next week to win us the League. Plus a cracking overhead kick somewhere else that season too. These days we''re more likely to see Bassong scoring an own goal. (Hopefully that''s enough to make him score a Tettey-style screamer against Swansea).

[quote user="ricardo"]

Our single biggest failing last summer was the failure to secure a class centre back. We were in the market for several but we could''nt close out a deal. If we stay up this has to be a priority and I agree it probably has to be someone a good bit younger than Yobo.
[/quote]

It''s an interesting one that, Ric.

I thought we needed another defender, another midfielder and another striker/forward/attacking player.

Injuries in the centre of defence and midfield have hurt us. We looked light there beyond the likely first choice players but we''ve still kept 11 clean sheets which is a really good record.

So perhaps, with our fairly meagre goal return, the biggest failing was to not sign that forward? But you could argue there are still plenty of good attacking options at the club.

Why would he want to come here?Everyone knows there is unrest in the dressing room, the manager is going to be sacked in the summer, we''re going to be relegated and he knows he''ll be booed if he makes a mistake.Stupid rumour!

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="ricardo"]Our single biggest failing last summer was the failure to secure a class centre back. We were in the market for several but we could''nt close out a deal. If we stay up this has to be a priority and I agree it probably has to be someone a good bit younger than Yobo.[/quote]

I thought we needed another defender, another midfielder and another striker/forward/attacking player.

Injuries in the centre of defence and midfield have hurt us. We looked light there beyond the likely first choice players but we''ve still kept 11 clean sheets which is a really good record.

So perhaps, with our fairly meagre goal return, the biggest failing was to not sign that forward? But you could argue there are still plenty of good attacking options at the club.

[/quote]

I think Rickyyyyyy is referring to actual events rather than what he felt we needed. We got Hooper, Wolf, Fer and Redmond. And the loan of Elmander. But couldn''t sign the central defender we wanted along with those attacking options.

I find it a hard to decide where the big money should be spent. Certainly our goals against column doesn''t look pretty, but on the other hand we''ve kept 11 clean sheets this season; that''s two more than both Liverpool and Newcastle! Only five teams have shut the opposition out more times than us so far this season, and most of those are in the top six. If we could have put a few more goals away we would be flying.

I guess, though, that one could argue we are not scoring largely because we are too busy defending (as a unit) and that the addition of a more competent/assured defender or two would give the rest of the team greater confidence to press higher up the pitch.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="ricardo"]Our single biggest failing last summer was the failure to secure a class centre back. We were in the market for several but we could''nt close out a deal. If we stay up this has to be a priority and I agree it probably has to be someone a good bit younger than Yobo.[/quote]

[/quote]

I think Rickyyyyyy is referring to actual events rather than what he felt we needed. We got Hooper, Wolf, Fer and Redmond. And the loan of Elmander. But couldn''t sign the central defender we wanted along with those attacking options.

[/quote]I am indeed. We missed out on that Dutch guy for starters (Toby something or other). A quality central defender was certainly targeted last summer.

So exactly where did I knock Michael Nelson? I was just trying to demonstrate the difference in level of player we are now signing compared to only a few seasons ago, and here we are now with several opinions that Yobo is not good enough for us. 

Would be disappointed if we ended up with Yobo tbh. He''s fine and done well for us, but we need to develop a team that is not only good now, but also for the future. We need to spend big like we were apparently planning to do with Ranocchia and Alderwierld, as well as well as a CAM.

"do we really need Turner?"You can''t be serious? He was our best defender before getting injured. I''d be seriously dissapointed if Yobo was signed at his expense. Wouldn''t mind Yobo staying but as others have mentioned we really need to spend big on somebody of quality in that position. Caulker from Cardiff has been their best outfield player all season, if they go down then maybe him.Maybe Yobo as as short term solution, allowing Bennett to leave on a season long loan with a quality big money signing coming in to give us: Turner, Bassong, Yobo + Big signing, with Bennett coming back into the frame in a year if he impresses out on loan. No way I''d be happy with Yobo coming in for Turner. Yobo in for Bennett as a short term solution maybe, if we still sign somebody of real quality. I''d be very dissapointed if we didn''t go out and spend £4m to £5m minimum on a new player in that position this summer. That, together with a top class right back and something new up front are essential signings. Also think we have other issues to contend with, like what to do with Anthony Pilkington and resolving Hoolahan''s future, and how we fill the gaps when Becchio and Elmander leave, who will be our number 2 if Bunn leaves, and another window of desperately trying to keep hold of Ruddy. Talk of getting rid of an influential player like Turner with so many other things to consider is just silly.

[quote user="Le Juge"]"do we really need Turner?"

No way I''d be happy with Yobo coming in for Turner. Yobo in for Bennett as a short term solution maybe, if we still sign somebody of real quality. I''d be very dissapointed if we didn''t go out and spend £4m to £5m minimum on a new player in that position this summer.

[/quote]

Do you think:

a) we can sign Caulker or any other quality for £4m to £5m.  If Cardiff get relegated, I cant see them selling him for less than £8m.

b) Do quality CB''s costing £8m or so want to join us?

Secondly if we stay up we need:

Target Striker (to replace Elmander)                                              say £10m.

AM ( I cant see Hoolahan staying beyind the end of the season)     say £8m.

Defensive CM (we need a third play in this position to compete with Tettey and Johnson)  say £5m.

RB (to replace Whittaker)                                                             say £5m.

Yobo                                                                                            say £0.5m - £1m.

That lot = say £29m less Pilkington say £6m (if we are lucky) = £23m.

Then a quality CB for say £8m (if we can get one!)                                                                           

A quality left footed left winger may have to wait another season.

As for Bunn and Tettey the club have one year options to go.

BTW. dont forget Rudd who has to come back at some stage.

[quote user="iron_stan"]jesus wept no no no no no no no no and noif this is the level of our ambition we will be in the same struggle to survive yet againdont waste money on old menwe need two new centre back and a new right back, an attacking midfielder and a left footed version of redmond, and thats not even mentioning the strikerswe need young and hungry not old and decrepit and looking for one last pay day, we should be looking to bring in players like harry maguire, will hughes, naughton, bertrand, ings[/quote]

Forgive me do but I remember fans saying the same thing about Dion Dublin, ???????????????

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]So exactly where did I knock Michael Nelson? I was just trying to demonstrate the difference in level of player we are now signing compared to only a few seasons ago, and here we are now with several opinions that Yobo is not good enough for us. [/quote]

For me Mr Mark its not Yobo''s ability which concerns me its his age, if Holt was consided too old?