Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Hate to say it but Swansea.......

Looked pretty good last night, might even have won if ref hadn''t blown when he did. If we have another no-show away performance we could be back in the mire.

A point at Swansea and a win against West Brom and I reckon we can all go on holiday.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Looked pretty good last night, might even have won if ref hadn''t blown when he did. If we have another no-show away performance we could be back in the mire.[/quote]

We attacked Cardiff, West Ham and Villa and would have attacked Southampton more if they had not got the upper hand so early in the game.  I think we''ll attack Swansea  too.  If we get at them like we did at Villa to start with, we can make them feel the pressure - and they are under pressure being below us in the table and if not careful will find themselves in trouble.   Should be a good game.

I''m not entirely sure that using four examples of how we lost games away, gives very much cause for optimism?  I have a feeling that come 5 o''clock on saturday we might be biting a few nails again.

Swansea are capable of putting in performances when they look good.  But after 31 games, same as us, they have two points less than us.  So there must have been a fair number of poor performances too !

We''ve won there the last two years.  Saturday could easily go either way.  A win and we will be almost home and dry, a point is a good outcome for us, a loss is certainly not the end of the world.

[quote user="InchY_barn door_wolfswinkel"]A point at Swansea and a win against West Brom and I reckon we can all go on holiday.[/quote]Hmm....depends totally on other results as well. This time of the season is notorious for some freak ones. Imo, we need not only to beat WBA, but get an away win somewhere to be feeling comfortable. And there''s the rub; we''ve not looked remotely like winning an away game of late, despite all the "attacking" that we''re assured we''ve been doing in some quarters.It is by no means a done deal yet, and the last thing we need to do is squander all the good work from the Sunderland win.

One win against a very poor Sunderland side and suddenly some people are saying we''re as good as safe. I really hope we manage at least a point against Swansea and if we play with the same tempo and commitment as last week we''re in with a shout.

However if we lose then the nerves will be back ( along with the CH outers) and suddenly the pressure is back on big time against WBA and Fulham.

Fingers crossed we manage to avoid the drop but it''s too early to think we''re already home and dry - just sayin.

[quote user="Haggerdoo"]One win against a very poor Sunderland side and suddenly some people are saying we''re as good as safe. I really hope we manage at least a point against Swansea and if we play with the same tempo and commitment as last week we''re in with a shout. However if we lose then the nerves will be back ( along with the CH outers) and suddenly the pressure is back on big time against WBA and Fulham. Fingers crossed we manage to avoid the drop but it''s too early to think we''re already home and dry - just sayin.[/quote]

I seem to have missed all these posts saying we''re as good as safe.  The posts I''ve read fall into two camps.  People like Reggie above who still think there is a lot to do and are still looking at getting 38+ points to be sure of safety (which is definitely on the cautious side IMO) and others like me who think we should now be ok providing we don''t get complacent and that its certainly not done and dusted.

[quote user="Haggerdoo"]One win against a very poor Sunderland side and suddenly some people are saying we''re as good as safe. I really hope we manage at least a point against Swansea and if we play with the same tempo and commitment as last week we''re in with a shout.

However if we lose then the nerves will be back ( along with the CH outers) and suddenly the pressure is back on big time against WBA and Fulham.

Fingers crossed we manage to avoid the drop but it''s too early to think we''re already home and dry - just sayin.[/quote]

I don''t see anyone on this thread saying we''re as good as safe.    Agreed,  a win against Sunderland on its own proves nothing, but taken in context of the points gained at home since new year, it gives us a bit more confidence going forwards to the next match.   Away has been difficult, but the games at Cardiff and West Ham prove we will be no pushovers - and we gave Villa a scare in those first 20 minutes too.   Southampton had a great start and we were poor, but imo we are due a bit of luck away from home - Swansea would be a good place to get it. 

I see the ''IN'' boys are getting their excuses in good and early for Saturday! [:|]

[quote user="Jimbo Canary"]I see the ''IN'' boys are getting their excuses in good and early for Saturday! [:|][/quote]

Thanks Jimbo. That''s a really insightful and constructive post.  Contributed a lot to the debate, did that.....

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jimbo Canary"]I see the ''IN'' boys are getting their excuses in good and early for Saturday! [:|][/quote]

Thanks Jimbo. That''s a really insightful and constructive post.  Contributed a lot to the debate, did that.....

[/quote]

Oh do be quiet for once in your life you silly little twerp.

[quote user="Jimbo Canary"]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jimbo Canary"]I see the ''IN'' boys are getting their excuses in good and early for Saturday! [:|][/quote]

[/quote]

Oh do be quiet for once in your life you silly little twerp.

[/quote]

Haven''t you ever been told Jimbo, Never argue with Children?

Another way to look at last night''s game is that we could get 3 points at home to Arsenal the way they''re playing at the moment. Although still time for them to recover.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="CANARYKING"]Looked pretty good last night, might even have won if ref hadn''t blown when he did. If we have another no-show away performance we could be back in the mire.[/quote]

We attacked Cardiff, West Ham and Villa and would have attacked Southampton more if they had not got the upper hand so early in the game.  I think we''ll attack Swansea  too.  If we get at them like we did at Villa to start with, we can make them feel the pressure - and they are under pressure being below us in the table and if not careful will find themselves in trouble.   Should be a good game.

[/quote]Talk about clutching at straws LDC.Yes, we probably should have got at least two points from those games at Cardiff and West Ham as we attacked for the whole 90 mins on both occasions bit I don''t understand how you maintain that we " would have attacked Southampton more " if they hadn''t got the upper hand so early in the game. For most teams you go a goal behind and you attack MORE but the gospel according to Chris Hughton is damage limitation every time.I agree that at Villa Park we were cruising and they were feeling the pressure but rather than ram home our advantage we collapsed like a pack of cards.For the record I think we''ll win at Swansea, not because we''re better than them or they''ll wilt under wave after wave of our lethal attack, but we have the '' Indian sign '' over them so I''m fairly optimistic we''ll win or, at the very worst come away with a point.When all said and done, although you''ll never admit it, our away form this term has been appalling....

[quote user="Jimbo Canary"]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jimbo Canary"]I see the ''IN'' boys are getting their excuses in good and early for Saturday! [:|][/quote]Thanks Jimbo. That''s a really insightful and constructive post.  Contributed a lot to the debate, did that.....[/quote]

Oh do be quiet for once in your life you silly little twerp.[/quote] 

You try to turn a perfectly good thread into a "in" "out"  troll fest and then have the nerve to call me a twerp?  

Swansea have looked poor at home this season, and performed better away. I''m not sure if results back this up, but on a performance basis, they haven''t looked strong at home.

We should be on a pretty big high after the sunderland win and we normally do well against swansea (i think) so we shouldn''t be worried. They raised their game against big team just like we do, so who knows (my bet has gone on a 1-1)

quote user="......and Smith must score."quote user="lake district canary"quote user="CANARYKING"won if ref hadn''t blown when he did. If we have another no-show away performance we could be back in the mire.

/quoteTalk about clutching at straws LDC.Yes, we probably should have got at least two points from those games at Cardiff and West Ham as we attacked for the whole 90 mins on both occasions bit I don''t understand how you maintain that we " would have attacked Southampton more " if they hadn''t got the upper hand so early in the game. For most teams you go a goal behind and you attack MORE but the gospel according to Chris Hughton is damage limitation every time.I agree that at Villa Park we were cruising and they were feeling the pressure but rather than ram home our advantage we collapsed like a pack of cards.For the record I think we''ll win at Swansea, not because we''re better than them or they''ll wilt under wave after wave of our lethal attack, but we have the '' Indian sign '' over them so I''m fairly optimistic we''ll win or, at the very worst come away with a point.When all said and done, although you''ll never admit it, our away form this term has been appalling....

/quote

Whilst no one is going to suggest that 2 wins, 2 draws and 11 defeats away from home is anything other than a poor record, the fact is that we are not the only ones to find it very difficult away from home at this level.

Fulham 3 wins, 2 draws, 11 defeats

Palace 2 wins, 2 draws, 11 defeats

Cardfiff 1 win, 3 draws, 11 defeats

Hull 3 wins, 2 draws, 9 defeats

Stoke 2 wins, 4 draws, 10 defeats

By comparison, we are 7th in the Premier League in terms of home form, which is a remarkable record. One that really does make you wonder how Hughton has come under so much pressure. Only Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal have conceded fewer goals at home and we have taken more home points this season than Manchester United. Food for thought.

[quote user="Perky Canary "]Swansea have looked poor at home this season, and performed better away. I''m not sure if results back this up, but on a performance basis, they haven''t looked strong at home.[/quote]Story checks out.They are 15th in the home table, but 12th away. http://stats.football365.co.uk/dom/ENG/PR/home.htmlhttp://stats.football365.co.uk/dom/ENG/PR/away.html

Meanwhile we''re 8th in the home table, but 19th away! So, we have a poor home team playing a poor away team on Saturday.Classic 0-0?

Wasn''t that what everyone said before the Villa game...?

Don''t worry, we never get back-to-back wins, so I''m going for lose this time and win the next one. Hope I''m wrong though.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

You try to turn a perfectly good thread into a "in" "out"  troll fest and then have the nerve to call me a twerp?  

[/quote]

I think this one sentence Lakey just shows how you have not a clue how your sermons and lectures are viewed and in fact I wonder if you yourself understand what you are posting because you  are the master at provoking "in" and "out" threads.

Let''s face it, we are above Swansea in the table & Hughton will send the team out ''not to lose''.

Doesn''t bode well, roll on new season - new manager.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

I think this one sentence Lakey just shows how you have not a clue how your sermons and lectures are viewed and in fact I wonder if you yourself understand what you are posting because you  are the master at provoking "in" and "out" threads.

[/quote]

I don''t really care what people think of the way I post - and yes I do know how I come across.   Pardon me for having a mind of my own, but I will argue my case when I see fit and can be bothered, although trying to get through to some of the thicker skins on here is practically impossible.  You think I am lecturing and sermonising - well that''s tough.  If people can''t see beyond the front of their noses at football and just want to feel part of what they see as the popular view, that is their problem, but the more head in sand stuff I see, the more I am likely to want to post.  

One example - the poor

result at West Ham. The first time I argued that our performance was an

attacking and enterprising one and we should have been two or three up

before the substitutions (which may or may not have been wrong) I got

shouted down and ridiculed and no amount of arguing my case got me anywhere. No - "it

was terrible", "we were useless" etc etc.   Even now when I mention our

performances at West Ham, Cardiff and Villa as attacking motivated I get

told - "Nooooo, we are dull and boring, can''t stand watching a hughton team" etc etc.

One poster even said this morning words to the effect "Hughton''s football is dull and boring, but the Sunderland match was great".  People can''t have it both ways.   The real picture is a mixed one of some good and some bad. So why can''t people see that?  Why do they want to have a downer on the manager ALL the time?  Its not because of his record since  the new year that is for sure.  If people can''t forgive the bad matches and the tough times as well as celebrate the good times (like the Man City, Spurs and Sundereland matches) - what on earth is the point?  

FOR THE LAST TIME PEOPLE  - TAKE YOUR HEADS FROM UP YOUR BACKSIDES AND WAKE UP!!!   WE ARE NOT THE TEAM WE WERE LAST SEASON.  WE ARE NOT EVEN THE SAME TEAM THAT STRUGGLED EARLIER THIS SEASON.  WE HAVE STARTED TO SCORE GOALS AND  WE ATTACK WHEN WE CAN AND WE ARE PICKING UP POINTS.    WAKE UP AND SMELL THE B***Y COFFEE!!   APPRECIATE THE GOOD THINGS THAT HAPPEN OR THE SEASON WILL BE OVER SOON AND ALL YOU WILL HAVE DONE ALL SEASON IS MOAN ABOUT HOW BAD IT WAS.  

Swansea appear to be playing well, but not getting the results. They deserved much more than their defeat at Everton, and I guess took advantage of a tentative Arsenal.

Michu is back playing, and will obviously need to be taken care of. Bony has scored eight goals since the turn of the year, so hopefully RVW will be on the bench to watch and learn.

Nice to finally see Swansea below us in the table since both teams were promoted.

A point will be a good one.

I think you being called a " twerp" Lakey was mild and for God sake change the feckin record about you don''t care what people think of the way you post. I would love a £1 for every time I have read that in recent months. [:(][:''(][:@]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

I think you being called a " twerp" Lakey was mild and for God sake change the feckin record about you don''t care what people think of the way you post. I would love a £1 for every time I have read that in recent months. [:(][:''(][:@]

[/quote]

[:D] Would you like a cheque or a postal order?

If people stopped trying to tell me how to post and just responded to the content, I wouldn''t have to keep saying it and if  people don''t like the way I post, all they have to do is stop replying to them, then I wouldn''t have any need to respond.    Mine and others attempts to try and get across a balanced view are constantly met with ridicule and put downs - mainly because people deep down know we actually have a point - that this regime is not all bad - there is reason behind keeping them on - and continuity is the way forward for our club, not chopping and changing just because we are struggling.