Sign in to follow this  
morty

Sheffield United game

It is impossible to critisize even one player on that pitch, absoloutely everyone played out of their skins yesterday. The "engine room" of Holt and Francis was a delight to watch, they snapped and dominated the whole game, Francis was, for me, back to his very best, even when Mullers came on he was having a shot on goal within a few minutes, fantastic!
I think Iwan had a blood transfusion before the game because he was simply amazing, like the Iwan of old that we all love, I don''t know about the prudence of offering him another contract but he''s still got a job to do here this season.
My only slight criticism (you knew it was coming!!) is that I really think that Hux needs to try and stay on his feet a bit better, yes I know that when you are travelling at light speed it only takes the slightest touch to knock him down, but it seems like sometimes he is looking for the foul/penalty and I feel that he might be starting to get a reputation with refs, they have pre conceptions about players the same as we do and it must affect their decisions.
This small whine apart Hux is of course still a god in my books so please don''t label me as some sort of darren hater!!
The game yesterday was like a cup tie and it bodes well for exciting times at HQ Sexy Football for the rest of the season, and great wins like that inspire confidence that the dream might just come true.

Keep it low.

Superb result for city following an excellent second half performance, we played the better football all game, were the only team looking to win and deserved our 3 points despite the best efforts of yet another atrocious ref.

However there were a couple of warning signs for Worthy to look at;

1 In the first half our midfield was over-run by the 5 man blades unit. Francis & Holt were out numbered a yard off the pace aand didnt seem to know what to do to find some space when they had the ball or how to close down without it. All credit to the half time team talk as both Francis (excellent 40 mins from him - his best in a yella shirt)) and Holt came out inspired and dominated the field - it was as if they had some clarity on how they could overcome sheffield and they delivered superbly - but we need to be more flexible whilst still on the pitch ''cos on another day we could be a goal or worse behind by half time.

2. The number of true chances we had were few and far between. I know that the blades came here happy for a point and defended accordingly but Allison missed two good chances for them whilst we had no real openings apart from the goal and mullers effort at the end. We do need to create a few more chances at home.

3. McVeigh on the right does not work - he has been a star on the left (and better than Brennan in that position) and looks quite ineffective on the right meaning we lose out on both flanks. Return McVeigh to the left and either buy another right winger or persevere with Hendo or try Briggs.

This is not meant to be negative - we are still top of the league, 7 points clear of the chasing non automatic promotion pack with a team as good any in the league that can win the championship this season (mind you so can 5-6 others) - I just want that title sewn up by early spring....

OTBC

I thought the balance of the side looked good and would give McVeigh a few more games on that right side. It is always going to be difficult when you are playing in a new position but towards the end I thought McVeigh was looking happy on the right. Personally I thought Brennan had a good game on the left, and linked up well with Drury.

Unless Francis has picked up a serious knock I would keep the same formation and subs for the Wimbledon game. The players all looked up for it against Sheff Utd and I thought that it was one of the best team performances this season.

The first half was rubbish from both sides. We looked a bit anxious, particularly Brennan I thought, and McVeigh was hanging out on the right and not getting involved. The wind didn''t help either, and it took a while for us to realise that gentle lobs and long passes weren''t the right thing for the conditions. Robbo was one of the few players to show well in that half.

The second half was SO much better. McVeigh started moving infield a bit, the midfield started closing them down early, Brennan settled down, and Edworthy - well that was the best I''ve seen him play. We need him to come forward more, to allow McVeigh to move inside and get at defenders and link up the attacks. Pinning PMV out on the right is a terrible waste. Also, I thought Drury looked back to his best, which is reassuring. The best thing is that we can have a poor first half, and then tweak things successfully at half-time: a sign of a good manager surely. Bootiful

To play well on the wing, you need a good forward-thinking fullback. I''m sure this is one of the reasons Hendo would dribble for 5 paces, then turn around looking lost.

It''s no coincidence that McVeigh plays well on the left - Drury is there to get forward and help him. Worthy made the point in October that he wanted more going forward from Edworthy, hopefully he will start to get it soon.

I''ve always thought we were blessed with a number of options for right midfield and we have but i now agree with what a lot of people have been saying that it is a problem position for us. We can''t seem to find the right player for the position.
When Hendo burst onto the scene i thought we had it and in that form we do but as NW warned at the time he wasn''t going to carry on like that forever and without him in that form we''re back to the same problem. I agree that McVeigh can look lost out there and looks better the more he comes infield but that exposes Edworthy and leave the flank underused. Rivers, well i''ve been a supporter in the past but i''ve just had enough of his inability to stay fit. He only performs when he''s 110% fit and had a long run in the team. His ability has become an irrelevence ''cos he never stays in the side long enough to show it.
I think a lot of people will agree that the only time we''ve seen someone who seems to fit the role perfectly (i.e. track backs and protects the full back, has pace and trickery going forward and can deliver a good cross) is Kevin Harper. You''ve got some money left Nige, go get him! He''s not getting any games at Pompy, he''d jump at the chance to come back.

THE BRING BACK KEV CAMPAIGN STARTS HERE!!

Ah! Mook, so Edworthy is the problem is it? I see it all now.

This game is all about opinions, as Mozart once said, and I think Edworthy has been fantastic all season and a brilliant buy. The comment made by Worthy has been taken a little out of context and in fairness to Edworthy it was at a time when the opportunities to go forward were limited due to the opposition and the players around him.

I always read this board as I find it amusing (in both meanings of the word), informative and sometimes educational (but not often in English grammer). I swore, however, I would never post again as I except totally that I''m a miserable old git with a serious risk of boring you lot with my same old views.

Anyhow, I''m off to the Fat Fighters Club.

Good Bike

Splendid rush.

I thought we looked pretty good all round. Zipper, I''d disagree that Holt and Francis were out of sorts in the 1st half - I think it was a case of the two midfields really testing each other out. That was where the game was going to be won or lost and it was a case of us gradually overcoming them. Utd just don''t let teams play so it was never going to be pretty. It seemed to me that Francis and Holt have finally worked out where to play, and in the 2nd half particularly, it really worked well. I thought Mcveigh was excellent in the 2nd half - he looked so confident. I''m not sure which is his best side but if he keeps playing like that I won''t care. They were all brilliant - Francis is my M.O.M but I thought Edworthy''s all round running, tackling and positional awareness was quite amazing to watch.
The biggest thing for me is how much all of the players really seemed to care and, when they were up against it, how much they were determined to dig in and not let go. A season ago we''d have lost that 1-0 lead. Not now though!

Prehaps the players are really starting to believe the Prem is realistically in their grasp lets just keep it going I am of to renew my season ticket

otbc