Sign in to follow this  
Chesney Hawkes

Our despicable away form

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Le Juge"]We are 19th in the away table Lakey, we finished 18th in the away table last season. You even said yourself that we are 8th in the home form table.

Why are you so incapable of just admitting that we are terrible away from home?[/quote]I don''t agree with everything LJ puts up on here but he''s spot on with this.You''re always banging on about '' outers '' not seeing things in a balanced way but that''s precisely what you''re doing by glossing over our dreadful away record. Spin the '' ifs '' '' buts '' and '' maybes '' as much as you like, the truth is the facts paint a pretty woeful picture.If you care to admit it it''s an easy chance to gain some brownie points but if you don''t / can''t it will only confirm you''re just as pig-headed as most of the ''outers '' you label if you don''t.Wad''ya say ?[/quote]

You''ll never believe this Smithy but I went to speak to someone at half-time on Saturday and after that exhilarating first half he wanted to talk about the previous weeks no show at Southampton[;)]

Nobody can argue our away form is poor. But also some expectations are ridiculously high. There''s fine margins in all thses things just like there is in the whole bottom half. Look what happened to that stat about subs scoring and assisting. In one game Hughton''s record in this was suddenly as good as Lambert''s at Villa. Then there was the not winning games after falling behind stat. One comeback against West ham and suddenly only 11 clubs have won more than that. If, and admittedly a big IF, we win on Saturday we''d suddenly be 16th in the away table.

What are realistic expectations? Where would people expect us to be in the away table? How high do people expect us to be in the league table?

[/quote]Very droll Nutty....You know as well as I do that you cannot look at one game in isolation. It''s all about the '' big picture ''. Can''t argue that my glass is almost bone dry whereas yours could pass for a tsunami but having travelled all the way down to Soton only to be presented with that dross is hardly reason for me or anyone else to get carried away in the very next match over admittedly what was probably our best 45 mins this term. Especially as 45 mins like that have been as rare as hens teeth under Chris Hughton." Nobody can argue our away form is poor ". Well I can think of one very stubborn poster up North who seems to think otherwise. [;)]As you know I very much believe in the dark forces of the hoodoo and therefore I''m looking forward to peering down from the lofty heights of 16th in the away table come Saturday evening.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]It''s not the fact that we lose games away from home that concerns me, that''s to be expected, it''s the fact that we rarely even give ourselves a chance in these games.[/quote]

Very much this.

That Swansea game last year, we proper gave them hell from the off and look what happened!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]Too late, Your Gobshiteness.[/quote]

And you''re the guy who''s always complaining about insults. [:S]
[/quote]

Lapp this is yet another example of Lakey and his do as I say not as I do attitude.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]Too late, Your Gobshiteness.[/quote]

And you''re the guy who''s always complaining about insults. [:S]
[/quote]

Lapp this is yet another example of Lakey and his do as I say not as I do attitude.

[/quote]

You got to admit, LDC is right on this occasion[:D]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Le Juge"]We are 19th in the away table Lakey, we finished 18th in the away table last season. You even said yourself that we are 8th in the home form table.

Why are you so incapable of just admitting that we are terrible away from home?[/quote]I don''t agree with everything LJ puts up on here but he''s spot on with this.You''re always banging on about '' outers '' not seeing things in a balanced way but that''s precisely what you''re doing by glossing over our dreadful away record. Spin the '' ifs '' '' buts '' and '' maybes '' as much as you like, the truth is the facts paint a pretty woeful picture.If you care to admit it it''s an easy chance to gain some brownie points but if you don''t / can''t it will only confirm you''re just as pig-headed as most of the ''outers '' you label if you don''t.Wad''ya say ?[/quote]

You''ll never believe this Smithy but I went to speak to someone at half-time on Saturday and after that exhilarating first half he wanted to talk about the previous weeks no show at Southampton[;)]

Nobody can argue our away form is poor. But also some expectations are ridiculously high. There''s fine margins in all thses things just like there is in the whole bottom half. Look what happened to that stat about subs scoring and assisting. In one game Hughton''s record in this was suddenly as good as Lambert''s at Villa. Then there was the not winning games after falling behind stat. One comeback against West ham and suddenly only 11 clubs have won more than that. If, and admittedly a big IF, we win on Saturday we''d suddenly be 16th in the away table.

What are realistic expectations? Where would people expect us to be in the away table? How high do people expect us to be in the league table?

[/quote]Very droll Nutty....You know as well as I do that you cannot look at one game in isolation. It''s all about the '' big picture ''. Can''t argue that my glass is almost bone dry whereas yours could pass for a tsunami but having travelled all the way down to Soton only to be presented with that dross is hardly reason for me or anyone else to get carried away in the very next match over admittedly what was probably our best 45 mins this term. Especially as 45 mins like that have been as rare as hens teeth under Chris Hughton." Nobody can argue our away form is poor ". Well I can think of one very stubborn poster up North who seems to think otherwise. [;)]As you know I very much believe in the dark forces of the hoodoo and therefore I''m looking forward to peering down from the lofty heights of 16th in the away table come Saturday evening. [/quote]

Yep.. I''m the original happy clapper Smithy.[:D] Not as confident as you for a result at Swansea but if you''re right I do think it''s a bit much to expect us to be better than 16th in the away table. Especially as we are doing so well at home. However, if we are 0-2 down at half-time on Saturday I wouldn''t expect anyone there to be saying "nevermind we won last week.........."[;)]

" Nobody can argue our away form is poor ". Well I can think of one very stubborn poster up North who seems to think otherwise. Wink [;)]

Very droll.........

Of course its misrepresenting again.  No one is going to deny away form is poor, not even me, but anyone with eyes could see that we were positive in our approaches to against at Cardiff and WestHam.   The subs at WH were wrong imo, but to ignore positive signs in those two games is just bloodymindedness.  

[quote user="lake district canary"]" Nobody can argue our away form is poor ". Well I can think of one very stubborn poster up North who seems to think otherwise. Wink [;)]

Very droll.........

Of course its misrepresenting again.  No one is going to deny away form is poor, not even me, but anyone with eyes could see that we were positive in our approaches to against at Cardiff and WestHam.   The subs at WH were wrong imo, but to ignore positive signs in those two games is just bloodymindedness.  

[/quote]Who''s ignoring positive signs ? As I said it''s the '' big picture '' that counts.Yes, we were positive in our approach to the Cardiff and West Ham games and were extremely unlucky to lose both. To bolster your paper-thin argument I''ll even throw in the game at Stoke, the only away match in which we looked comfortable throughout. Can''t be fairer than that.Still a pitiful record though....

Our all time Premiership away win percentage is 20% (27 wins in 135 games)That''s 3.8 away wins per seasonSo just 1.8 more wins for an average season[:D][Y]

But half them games will have been under Houghton, so the statistic is misleading in terms of underperformance... If you did our top flight record, ht would be a better guide to how were are doing now.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]But half them games will have been under Houghton, so the statistic is misleading in terms of underperformance... If you did our top flight record, ht would be a better guide to how were are doing now.[/quote]Why stop at top flight games? Why not all City away games in it''s entire football league history?427 wins in 1858 games (22.98%)

Chris Hughton 4 away wins in 34 games =  11.76% so yes, pretty much underperformance. He needs to be on 6 or 7 by now to be considered average.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Well now, there''s a stat. Bless you, old son. Reckon I went to about 0.1% of those.[/quote]

Wins or games?[:)][;)][Y]

[quote user="lake district canary"]" Nobody can argue our away form is poor ". Well I can think of one very stubborn poster up North who seems to think otherwise. Wink [;)]

Very droll.........

[/quote]

Christ on a bike Lakey.......you still repeating your endless bloody drivel?[:S]