Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Hughton's dilemna

I wasn''t going to write today as its late and we''ve had a long drive, but I see one or two people having a few digs so I''m putting my thoughts  down now.

It seems to me as if Hughton had a dilemna today.    Play the same team that was successful last week - which many would say was the right thing to do - or change it to be more defensive.   I''d hoped he would be a bit more cautious today than last week, because Swansea are a force when on their game.   I''d hoped Gutierrez would play from the start to offer some steadiness in midfield, but as it happens, I don''t think it would have made a difference.   I am going to have nightmares tonight, replaying in my mind some of the bad passing out of defence.   Swansea were good, but we shot ourselves in the foot, time and time again.    The midfield were good last week, but this week they were poor.    I thought the substitutions were about right, but we just caved in under the pressure in the first half, as at Villa and Southampton.  

Not good, first away game for me for a while, hope for better next time. Their confidence looks shot away from home.  If Snodgrass''s shot had gone in, it could have inspired us on to a fightback, but  the mistakes in the first half had cost us.    In some ways I think we need to be more defensive still, away from home, absorb the pressure by having a strong defensive line up and hope to catch teams on the break, as we did at WBA.  Trying to match opposing team''s attacks like we did at Villa Southampton and Swansea, isn''t working.   It nearly worked at Cardiff and West Ham, but the better footballing teams just find us too open. 

Roll on Fulham [:S]

Shame Yobo wasn''t fit today, I don''t think we''d have crumbled as easy with him there.

The only player who didn''t perform last week was RVW. I can''t for the life of me see how he keeps his place. I guess because we payed so much for him, Hughton is being stubborn and hoping RVW comes good.

Let me put this out there, it''s not going to happen! We''ve bought a dud, now get him out of the side and moved on before he relegates us.

Today he had chances to get into good spaces or contribute to the build up and he was miles away, constantly on his heels and looking completely uninterested, perhaps happy enough to collect his £40k this week and not in the slightest bothered that he''s currently going down as the biggest flop in our history. He''s a nice guy, but he''s got the completely wrong attitude. Sometimes you need to put yourself about a bit in life and be more assertive, less of a pushover. RVW has yet to realise this. He is never going to make it at this level.

For me, he shouldn''t have played Wes, sorry Lincoln Canary, but your golden boy is too lightweight, and too much of a luxury,  away from home.

99% of the time Chris Hughton couldn''t get more defensive if he tried. There in lies much of the problem. Particularly when he suppresses and demotivates a squad, that like most football teams, wants to win games.

Swansea and their approach, Southampton, countless others are everything that he and his coaching set up are not n

He is a back to the wall kind of guy and it has sucked the life out of our club for too long now.

He is incapable and in the summer he must go. Regardless of whether he scrapes us up or not.

We miss Fer badly.

Tettey is inconsistent. Johnson consistently poor (average at best). Wingers who aren''t allowed to attack. Snoddy to slow to attack and can''t cross the ball.

Wes is a lightweight luxury in most games in this league.

We need big changes this summer.

But I don''t believe Hughton should be allowed to make them.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Shame Yobo wasn''t fit today, I don''t think we''d have crumbled as easy with him there.  [/quote]

He was there at Aston Villa and Southampton. We crumbled easily in both of those and he was weak defensively in both of those.

Yobo has done alright overall but I''d have rather have had Turner - he''s a big, strong presence we have missed.

I would certainly not have played Wes or RVW for this fixture, but like others I''m sure, I understand why he went with the unchanged line-up. We certainly did miss Yobo, I thought Snodgrass and Elmander had decent games, and have to say ......surely nobody is that surprised we lost that one based on our away record to date.....likewise it shouldnt be a massive surprise if we win next week.  

I am of the view too, that we should be, dare I say more defensive in these type of away fixtures, just park the bus and try to nick something at the end.........it can work and probably earn more points than we have currently realised from away games......roll on next week.....another big one OTBC.

It really grinds my gears hearing fellow supporters on here say we should play more cautious and defensively away from home! Why and what have we got to lose? I would rather us go for it in every game! That way you can actually say ''they gave it there all''!

I''m a ''never change a winning side'' mentality guy. Hughton done the right thing by only making one forced change but you could clearly see the mentality of the players was to be very cautious. We sat back and let them play it around. We didn''t do that vs Sunderland.

We so desperately need to unshackle our players and just let them play! Home and especially away.

Hughton made a big mistake. He sent out basically an unchanged side that had won through an attacking approach but instructed them to play more defensively. Either that or the players themselves didn''t have the confidence to attack. There was far fewer overlapping moves from the fullbacks than against Sunderland.

It is ironic that we looked better when more defensive minded players came on at half-time and we closed down their midfield threat. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]I wasn''t going to write today as its late and we''ve had a long drive, but I see one or two people having a few digs so I''m putting my thoughts  down now. It seems to me as if Hughton had a dilemna today.    [/quote] Hughton''s dilemna is he is lost for ideas and has never experienced managerial leadership. He is out of his depth unless the opposition fail to turn up.

It is not a dilemna is it ? he is supposed to know what he is doing, he is supposed to know about his players, he is supposed to know the best way to deploy them, he is supposed to know how the opposition set up and either adapt his team to stop them or impose our game on them, he is payed a fortune to do all this, it isn''t a dilemna he just isn''t very good is he ?

[quote user="morty"]For me, he shouldn''t have played Wes, sorry Lincoln Canary, but your golden boy is too lightweight, and too much of a luxury,  away from home.[/quote]

This post is so so correct, Hoops is only effective in home matches.

The only dilemma is if we fail to beat West Brom do we sack him and give someone else the last roll of the dice? He is gone in the summer now whatever.

[quote user="im spartacus"]It is not a dilemna is it ? he is supposed to know what he is doing, he is supposed to know about his players, he is supposed to know the best way to deploy them, he is supposed to know how the opposition set up and either adapt his team to stop them or impose our game on them, he is payed a fortune to do all this, it isn''t a dilemna he just isn''t very good is he ?[/quote]Well, that just about sums her up.Although I reckon the lack of on field leadership is appalling.

Everyone in the Prem knows how Swansea play. Everyone except our manager that is! I find it baffling when we all know Shelvey, Britton and De Guzman would be a midfield three. that we wouldn''t try and match it to put pressure on them all over the pitch. Its not a dilemma about keeping the same team gone are the days of the same 11 playing all the time its horses for courses and we are just not up to the rigours of modern football under this archaic buffoon of a manager

Dilemna is the wrong word - and so is dilemma. The right words are "Hughton''s weaknesses as a manager"

He is good enough to keep us scraping along near the relegation zone playing a style of football that few enjoy watching.

However, we get glimpses, especially when we go into those "must win" games that the team is far better than just scraping along.

All managers are replaced eventually, but we must be sure that the replacement is no like for like but one than get get this very good squad of players playing to the maximum potential. And that isn''t happening at the moment.

As a team we lack pace. In the past Holt and Hoolahan could hold the ball up for the midfield to link.

Hughton bought Elmander, (Holt without the leadership or goals) and has the team so deep we can''t get forward. I cannot see why he bought Hooper or RVW unless he was going to inject some pace into the team.

Frankly, I am not convinced Hughton believes he can turn things around. He looks a broken man on the touch line.

I thought it was quite clear from the get go that we shouldn''t have played the same formation for the game yesterday. Sunderland really don''t have pacey wingers like Swansea do. Then we did actually played hoolahan more in the left as a 442 yesterday not the 4312 that we did against Sunderland. Add the fact that Swansea can keep the ball very well and we were always going to be in big doo doo. We should have matched there formation and had 2 wingers ourselves!

Meh....what do I know!!