Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Amongst the "Houghton this" and "Houghton that"...

Can we reckon to agree that our squad lacks true depth and leadership, and consequently, regardless of manager, a lot of our players just aren''t going to cut the old mustard?  I get the bit about Houghton not necessarily being up to it, but at some point the players need to accept a lot of what they do is just not to an acceptable level of competence.  Passing out of defence being a prime example.  Creating and taking opportunities in front of goal being another.

Agree completelySince Holt left we don''t appear to have a real leader on the pitch.Snodgrass, I guess, is the closest we have.Bassong is not a captain and makes atleast 1 mistake per game. He can hardly order the other 10 men on the pitch around when he''s causing havoc himself.There is certainly a "team spirit" in the squad. They clearly enjoy playing. But when everything gets tough... it does often seem like we are playing with 11 individuals.

It''s not making mistakes that prevents Bassong being a leader. Look at how many Holt used to make each game. It''s being confident to lead, to encourage, spur on the rest of the team. That the points are there for the taking. Having optimism and faith in your abilities as a team. Being inspired to do well and score goals.

I think its more of a mental thing. We have a lot of leaders on the pitch, but we are not seeing this. I think we need a psychological coach. Ruddy, Martin, Bassong, Snodgrass are all big characters, but are not communicating in the right way

Is Bassong just Hughtons "Yes" man? Has no discernible leadership qualities that I can see.

Hughton doesn''t appear to like strong characters.

" Can we reckon to agree that our squad lacks true depth and leadership, and consequently, regardless of manager, a lot of our players just aren''t going to cut the old mustard? "

It''s a valid point, and a lot of lower premier league teams have a similar yo - yo performance habit as us, however the difference between home and way performances recently has grown to be extreme.

We do need to upgrade in several areas - maybe we should buy Suarez, he seems to need a new challenge - and pick a new on-field captain. Of our current players Jonny Howson would be my choice.

Turn the clock back eight months and the majority of NCFC supporters were happy with the squad of players assembled, including the depth, and were anticipating a competitive season.

The fact that the squad may now look thin and many of the players not looking good enough, is solely down to the coaching, tactics, and questionable team selections, that they have unfortunately had to endure over eight months under the woefully inept management team that will hopefully be replaced in the next two months.

The sad fact is that every member of the Norwich squad must have dropped in value over the past eight months.