Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Last week, did we win because Sunderland were so .......

Partly, but another big reason is because we played at home and the team and crowd were boosting each other - for whatever reason this team is horribly short on confidence, but when our crowd is on song the team seems to be too, and vice versa.

I always get the feeling that if we don''t concede we will win the match, but if we concede first that it is game over.

Also, we struggle terribly against pace. I really like Russell Martin as a player and a character, but I do think we need someone with Olsson''s pace on the other side of the defence. It was far too easy for Swansea to knock the ball into the channels today and Routledge to get on the end of it.

Poyet seemed to think that Sunderland didn''t show up. We won because our team came to feel that at last we had a team we could beat, and with confidence came a certain amount of performance.

[quote user="IS"]

Also, we struggle terribly against pace. I really like Russell Martin as a player and a character, but I do think we need someone with Olsson''s pace on the other side of the defence. It was far too easy for Swansea to knock the ball into the channels today and Routledge to get on the end of it.[/quote]

As Olsson did for their 3rd yest? touch tight with routledge coming in from our left flank, then stopped running with him at the pen box when l it became important...

I agree our win against sunderland was partly due to just how poor they were - the performance last weekend was like watching us at either st marys or the liberty

I''ll readily concede that we are by no means the only team that do not turn up to certain fixtures.The difference is that Norwich City only seem to turn up to home games and every away game is a no-show these days.Effectively it''s like we are attempting to construct a fruitful season out of only half the games on offer. Or, put another way, like trying to fight in a 20 round heavyweight boxing match with one arm tied behind our back.

"Also, we struggle terribly against pace "

Both pace and quickness of passing, and Hughton alluded to that v Southampton, when he said he sets the team up differently when we play teams like. Not that it seemed to make much difference...

So more pace in our defense, and of course we are horribly short of pace in our attack, which leads to teams cheating their back line up as they know they can recover, and us defending ever deeper as we can''t.

[quote user="drurys testamonials V 15"]

Partly. But you can''t beat a crap team just because they''re crap. You have to put in a performance too. We did and it paid off.

[/quote]

Spot on. We put in a 100% performance last week and got what we deserved. Sunderland were there for the taking and we did our job splendidly.

Now if someone can explain how roughly the same team can go from that to yesterday''s performance.........

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="drurys testamonials V 15"]

Partly. But you can''t beat a crap team just because they''re crap. You have to put in a performance too. We did and it paid off.

[/quote]

Spot on. We put in a 100% performance last week and got what we deserved. Sunderland were there for the taking and we did our job splendidly.

Now if someone can explain how roughly the same team can go from that to yesterday''s performance.........

[/quote]I suppose that is THE pertinent question Herman !I''m afraid that my take on it is this: If it was a one-off then you could understand it. at the risk of writing clichés every manager, player, squad has the right to a bad day at the office from time to time.The trouble is that yesterday was not a one-off. It has happened countless times under Hughton''s tutelage . And very rarely under Lambert . So you have to refine your question. Given that what you say is the case, where does the buck ultimately stop ?

You are preaching to the already converted Reggie. It has got to the stage where another away day thrashing doesn''t upset me as it should. Which is a rather sad indictment of Hughton''s current reign.

I thought he got it spot on against the Mackems though, and that is one of the annoying things about him.

[quote user="Herman "]

. It has got to the stage where another away day thrashing doesn''t upset me as it should. Which is a rather sad indictment of Hughton''s current reign.

[/quote]Interesting, Herman. Only last evening, my wife, who is quite perceptive in the way women tend to be , commented that these days I do not seem to get as upset when Norwich City lose matches. She observed that even a matter of 18 months ago, if we lost ,I''d be like a bear with a sore head till Monday morning, but these days I just seem to accept it. TBH, I just take it as read nowadays that if we are playing away from home, the performance will be pathetic and we are going to lose. If it''s against anyone any good, it''ll be heavily.Until Hughton is history, I''m afraid that I see that state of affairs continuing to be the case.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Interesting, Herman. Only last evening, my wife, who is quite perceptive in the way women tend to be , commented that these days I do not seem to get as upset when Norwich City lose matches. She observed that even a matter of 18 months ago, if we lost ,I''d be like a bear with a sore head till Monday morning, but these days I just seem to accept it. [/quote]Amazed the old girl stayed with you after the Grant, Roeder and Gunn era...