Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

How do we stop Liverpool?!

They''ve just dismantled Spurs, carrying on their excellent run of form. How should we approach the Liverpool game to give ourselves a hope of getting something out of it?

The scousers are vulnerable defensively, but I think a gung-ho Paul Lambert style display would be tantamount to suicide against a frontline of Suarez and Sturridge. A similar performance to that Man City game would be ideal, but that relies on our defence performing heroics, and not conceding a stupid early goal as we are prone to do.

Any thoughts as to how we can get something from Liverpool?

Pray[IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/others-301.GIF[/IMG]?

[quote user="Patches OHoolahan"]They''ve just dismantled Spurs, carrying on their excellent run of form. How should we approach the Liverpool game to give ourselves a hope of getting something out of it?

The scousers are vulnerable defensively, but I think a gung-ho Paul Lambert style display would be tantamount to suicide against a frontline of Suarez and Sturridge. A similar performance to that Man City game would be ideal, but that relies on our defence performing heroics, and not conceding a stupid early goal as we are prone to do.

Any thoughts as to how we can get something from Liverpool?[/quote]

Treat it like a game we really have to win.   The Man City performance was a response to the points dropped away at Cardiff and the Spurs one a response from the West Ham game.    If we lose at Fulham, we will need a big response again.   It can be done.  If Liverpool start to tighten up getting near their title challenge, they could find goals harder to come by.   It will be up to us to give it everything again as in recent home matches. 

PS That doesn''t mean I think we will lose at Fulham, because we have to try and pick up points there too - and don''t forget we have a certain WBA match coming up first, which will be tough too.

Don''t like to point the finger, but drop Bassong (and pray that Turner and Yobo are fit). Start with Tettey and Johnson, ideally with Howson and Fer. Elmander up front with one other - Redmond?

We performed well at home against Man City. Crystal Palace upset Chelsea yesterday. It can be done against Liverpool.We are a due an upset.

Unfortunately it is so tight at the top, all of our last games will be against top teams who will need the points.

Tactics, formations & subs will all play an important part (Mr Hughton) but......

What the players lack in quality (compared with Liverpool), they will have to make up for in attitude and work rate (Players), coupled with passionate and vocal support from all stands (Us)... Then we may have a chance.

play 442 with redmond right wing and olsson left wing, hooper and bechhio up frontdrop snodgrassplay like a league 1 team would in the cup, sit deep, kick them, chase everything, then counter attack by hoofing either up to the strikers to hold up and wait for the others to join them OR out to the wings for the two quickest players we have to chase after               ruddymartin bennett bassong garridoredmond johnson tettey olsson

hooper becchio                     

other than that, finding out where they are staying and poison the water supply to suarez, sterling and sturridges rooms

[quote user="icoopius"]Sneak into the dressing room the week before and shove some bacon on zabaleta''s sleeve[/quote]

Errrrr.......perhaps better to put some blue cheese there instead of the bacon.......

[quote user="Trevor Hockeys Beard"]Apparently Liverpool require 16 more goals from their last 6 games to equal or break the record for a season.

So that is 10 from their other 5 games.

Worth a bet I think.[/quote]How do we stop them?We don''t.Looking at my pre season predictions I''ve got us down to lose 0-3.Hopefully it won''t be anymore than that.

Uhh, well for starters we have to hope Liverpool have an off day because if they don''t, they''re stronger than us all over the park. And certainly have a lot to play for.

Might Gerrard be suspended if he picks up another booking (two games).

Getting over the line might make them edgy if we don''t give the game away (again).

Reckon Liverpool are only any good on the counter attack.  We should just sit deep and not try and break into their half and then they won''t attack us and it''ll be 0-0.

Park the bus and put 11 men behind the ball in the first 45 minutes, sweat it out and try to make it to half-time no more than 1-0 down, put ketamine in their half time cup of tea/lucozade/fruit based soft drink, then hope that RVW has it in him to nick a goal against a heavily sedated Liverpool backline in the second half.

I think it will be a 1-3 defeat, but strange things do happen in football, so I really wouldn''t be totally surprised if we shocked everyone with a 1-0 win.

Try to make it difficult for Suarez - instead of making it easy like we usually do.

I know he''s an outstanding player, one of the best in the world and you won''t see too many better at Carrow Road but try not to let him do what he wants all the time.

Rather than back off and say "Pick your corner, Luis" I''d like to see someone clatter into him.

It''s simple, we kill the Batman...

Realistically though, we should play with three centre backs and 3 centre mids. 4-5-1 with Elmander isolated up front and Hoolahan behind him with Johnson, Howson and Tettey shielding the back three of Turner, Bassong and Yobo. Martin and Olsson at full back. Only Olsson is allowed to get forward occasionally and only if Flanagan is playing right back

Liverpool play 100 miles an hour in the first half but seem to drop off a little in the 2nd.

they also play with 2 strikers who constantly hassle the midfield and try and force errors. Ideally i''d go 4-1-4-1

the man just in front of the defence acts as a centre back when the ball is out wide, however when in more central areas he adopts the anchor man role.. Chasing down Suarez and sturridge to try and take one of them out of the game. when Suarez and Sturridge are pressing our midfield the spare man is making himself an option further back for the "escape" ball.

this allows us to retain possession and build from the back.

the midfield 4 can then go man to man.. Liverpool control the midfield in their games so we have to be sharper and stronger. Gerrard likes a tackle and can run a game. we have to impact him early, disrupt the service to the front 2 and force liverpool to use the shakey defenders they have.

they are beatable... not impossible. its a pity we don''t have a wind up merchant on the team, Suarez will react.. couple of early niggly fouls and then getting in his ear will prompt the reaction we hope for.