Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

If the worst happens, who will you blame?........

..........for a perfectly avoidable relegation?

the manager, the players, the board, or a percentage of each?

I will shift my blame from Hughton onto the board for this one, as the warning signs that Hughton wasn''t going to change his approach to away games was clear as early as Hull away back in August......and now after an utterly represhensible 12 defeats in 16 away games, the board can''t say it was a one off.

Yes Hughton''s tactics have stifled any attacking instinct the players have had and totally killed the "have a go" style employed by Lambert for evry away game....but some of the players are getting off lightly for any blame for many of the awayday no-shows ,this season........a lack of heart and fight can''t solely be down the the manager?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

I will shift my blame from Hughton onto the board for this one, as the warning signs that Hughton wasn''t going to change his approach to away games was clear as early as Hull away back in August......and now after an utterly represhensible 12 defeats in 16 away games, the board can''t say it was a one off.

Yes Hughton''s tactics have stifled any attacking instinct the players have had and totally killed the "have a go" style employed by Lambert for evry away game....but some of the players are getting off lightly for any blame for many of the awayday no-shows ,this season........a lack of heart and fight can''t solely be down the the manager?

[/quote]

The board for me Mr GJL, simply because there was enough warnings regarding Hughton''s ability last November.

Whatever happens I think that there should be a complete change of Manager and staff and also the board have to take some of the blame for this position we are in. At the moment I am not confident of us staying in this league. The manager and his staff should have gone in January.

"Have a go" style employed by Lambert? You are definitely suffering from selective memory.

You could blame the playersYou could blame the managerYou could blame the boardYou could blame the previous boardYou could blame whoever formed the club in the first placeBut hang it all.................I blame the French.  The Normans, it was, who brought in French settlers in to calm down the rebellious Norwich saxon inhabitants and gave the city its character and the club is reflected by the character of its locality.   Yeh, its the French who should take any blame..... Who to congratulate if we stay up though, that''s another question............. 

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

"Have a go" style employed by Lambert? You are definitely suffering from selective memory.

[/quote]

Am I?.....other than Man City away under lambert where we lost 5-1 , name me another away game when youwent into it feeling we didnt have a chance, performances such as the 1-1 at Liverpool, and the 3-3 at Arsenal are a million miles away from the attitude adopted this season and indeed last.

[quote user="lake district canary"]You could blame the players
You could blame the manager
You could blame the board
You could blame the previous board
You could blame whoever formed the club in the first place
But hang it all.................I blame the French. 
The Normans, it was, who brought in French settlers in to calm down the rebellious Norwich saxon inhabitants and gave the city its character and the club is reflected by the character of its locality.  
Yeh, its the French who should take any blame.....

Who to congratulate if we stay up though, that''s another question............. 

[/quote]

given the plans laid out by the board at the start of the season of "improving on last season"...I''m not sure that merely staying up is cause for celebration either?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

Am I?.....other than Man City away under lambert where we lost 5-1 , name me another away game when youwent into it feeling we didnt have a chance, performances such as the 1-1 at Liverpool, and the 3-3 at Arsenal are a million miles away from the attitude adopted this season and indeed last.

[/quote]

Sunderland, couldn''t describe that as having a go.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

ok, one example...I''d suggest its yourself with the selective memory?

we know we''re beaten before we start every away match now....that was never the case then, we may not have won, but we gave it a go

The manager takes most of the blame, followed by McNally for having such faith in him. To me Hughton has no confidence and it spreads to his team.|Most fans know that Hools is great at home and next to useless away simply because we do not get enough of the ball for him to do what he does best. To play the team against Swansea was ridiculous , we needed to flood the midfield and frustrate Swansea with just Elmander up front, take 0-0 at half time get the crowd quiet and then move forward later in game. Sorry also RVW away from home is just not useful .Too often Hughton has got the call wrong, we have really no strikers on form so why not drop them and get more in midfield letting Snods Hools and Howson have more freedom going forward. But that sums Hughton up , he has no idea how to play different formations , teams , and luckily has one that semi works at home!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

ok, one example...I''d suggest its yourself with the selective memory?

we know we''re beaten before we start every away match now....that was never the case then, we may not have won, but we gave it a go

[/quote]

You only asked for one.

[/quote]

Im with you. The board take full responsibility. Hughton is what he is and does what he does. It is the boards decision as to whether he is the right man or not. I dont think we will go down, but if we did, you could point to several indicators well ahead of time that pointed to the need for a change in manager, which they have not acted upon, so if this costs the club Premier League status, it will be as a result of their judgement call.

In the short term, Hughton.In the longer term, Mc Nally and the board for not seeing the writing on the wall last summer and replacing the clown with someone who knows what he''s doing.

Both Hughton and Mcnally / the board take the blame. Hughton for obvious reasons and the board for having a million opportunities to change him for a more competent manager yet repeatedly failing to do so. I just can''t get my head around a lot of whats gone on.

The Board , its been as clear as crystal for over a year now that Hughton is out of his depth and completely clueless , no other club in the country would have kept a manager with his pathetic record .

[quote user="lake district canary"]Who to congratulate if we stay up though, that''s another question.............  [/quote]That''s an easy one, it is the three teams that go down for being even worse than us! Personally I won''t ''blame'' any one individual, its far too complex a situation for that. I have no doubt that everyone connected with the club is doing what they feel is in the best interests of NCFC. We might not agree with some decisions which have been made by the board, management or even the players, but it would be hard to say that any one person''s decisions would have been the sole, or even majority, cause of our failings over the season. Moo

For me, the blame would ultimately land at the door of David McNally. I think the only reason Chris Hughton wasn''t sacked this season is because we couldn''t replace him with the manager the board wanted. Otherwise, he''d have gone months ago.

As it happens, Hughton will be gone anyway, whether we stay up or go down. For me, the blame for relegation would lie with McNally. He was warned many times via performances and results that Chris Hughton was out of his depth, yet he ignored those warning signs.

"no other club in the country would have kept a manager with his pathetic record"...........I agree, his record should be better, not massively better, but better certainly. However, I disagree with your statement........my understanding that Aston Villa have kept their manager with a very similar record? ......and they are certainly a bigger club with greater expectations......

[/quote]There''s no such thing as a perfectly avoidable relegation for NCFC in this league. Every year we are amongst the favourites for the drop. We are a long way from being a Premier League regular.Who''s to blame if it happens?The manager of course, they live and die by the results.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]" I disagree with your statement........my understanding that Aston Villa have kept their manager with a very similar record? ......and they are certainly a bigger club with greater expectations......[/quote]Sorry, Mark , but how have Villa got a similar record ? They have two more points from one fewer game, and a goal difference that is less than half as bad as Norwich''s.

It would clearly be the fault of the board as it always is in any organisation at the end of the day.

Before the end of January it was apparent that the fans where not all happy.

Our rate of points accumulation was around trend for survival. Entertainment aside the pragmatic collection of points is the most important indicator and lets not forget the effective home form and results against our peers.

The time for change and risk taking investment would have been January so a new guy could have got a couple of players in.

In addition to changing the manager we have/had gaping holes in attacking midfield and pace upfront.

So we decided to take the risk of sticking with CH which is fair enough and the risk of not spending the cash.

I understand the second as a new manager was just as high a risk, the second not so much.

So at the end of the day its their business and if i was in their shoes I would have done the same but probably risked a few of million on a big fast striker, which would have been an easier ask than the number 10 which tbf they did try and get in but failed.

Kei Kamara was not a world beater but what a good guy to give the place a lift and he did have a couple of effective moments in the run in.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]If? Hughton. Not the directors. Unless it turns out they deprived Hughton of available money in January.[/quote]The dates given by posters on this thread for the moment when Hughton should have been sacked range from February 2013 to January 2014, with May 2013, August 2013 and November 2013 also cited...

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Dubai Mark"]" I disagree with your statement........my understanding that Aston Villa have kept their manager with a very similar record? ......and they are certainly a bigger club with greater expectations......[/quote]Sorry, Mark , but how have Villa got a similar record ? They have two more points from one fewer game, and a goal difference that is less than half as bad as Norwich''s.[/quote]

Their records are incredibly similar, I believe that as it stands during their respective tenures, Hughton has won a solitary additional point from one additional game.

That''s over a 70 game period so I''d say that''s pretty similar.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]If? Hughton. Not the directors. Unless it turns out they deprived Hughton of available money in January.[/quote]The dates given by posters on this thread for the moment when Hughton should have been sacked range from February 2013 to January 2014, with May 2013, August 2013 and November 2013 also cited...[/quote]

Plus the 50% who claim they knew he was a wrong''un and should never have been appointed in the first place.[;)]

Not at this level, Paul. Firstly, I''m really not interested in previous seasons. It''s the current one that counts.And secondly, you may blithely dismiss two points, but that will almost certainly be the difference between playing Premier League and Championship football come August. You may not like it, but it''s a fact nontheless.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]If? Hughton. Not the directors. Unless it turns out they deprived Hughton of available money in January.[/quote]The dates given by posters on this thread for the moment when Hughton should have been sacked range from February 2013 to January 2014, with May 2013, August 2013 and November 2013 also cited...[/quote]

Plus the 50% who claim they knew he was a wrong''un and should never have been appointed in the first place.[;)][/quote]Plus nutty, who thinks that Worthington should still be the manager...[:D]

[quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]It has to be the board. I can''t imagine another club in the prem would have continued to employ a manager with such god awful statistics and glaringly obvious, numerous, short comings in every aspect of his management.
[/quote]

West Ham and, as has been mentioned, Aston Villa.