Sign in to follow this  
Rufus Smalls

Sky Sports Premier League worst XI 2013/14 - RVW up front.

Sorry if this has already been shared on here - haven''t been on here much recently - but this is an interesting article from a couple of weeks ago giving the statistically ''worst'' PL XI this season. Out of all the players with more than 10 starts, our own golden boy RVW has the worst average rating (whoscored.com) out of anyone in the entire league. A couple of other statistics worth mentioning:

- 3 shots on target in 7 months (although this was written before the Southampton game, where a saved RVW shot set up Snoddy''s goal and he had a header saved against Sunderland too. So, that''s 5 shots on target in 7 months)

- over 5 hours of football per shot on target.

Obviously this is partly due to atrocious service all season but, even so, those statistics are not pretty.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11662/9196856/top-flops-who-are-premier-leagues-under-performers

Oh F off LDC....

I have started to feel sorry for you recently because you make some valid points re: NCFC, however the post above just takes the biscuit.

The OP can post what they like, just the same as you can post what you want.

You are not and will never be the Pink Un message board spokesman so don''t try telling me or anyone else whether we needed to see it or not....

Next time you try pointing something out (several million times) I will remember your incredibly churlish post above and hope others will too!

[quote user="Yobocop"]Oh F off LDC....

I have started to feel sorry for you recently because you make some valid points re: NCFC, however the post above just takes the biscuit.

The OP can post what they like, just the same as you can post what you want.

You are not and will never be the Pink Un message board spokesman so don''t try telling me or anyone else whether we needed to see it or not....

Next time you try pointing something out (several million times) I will remember your incredibly churlish post above and hope others will too![/quote]

Whatever.What I remember is the point RVW saved with his technically superb headed goal in the opening game - with a spinning, sliced ball that had nowhere else to go.  What I will also remember is his work rate and his harassing of  Tottenham players which led directly to the winning goal.   I''ll also remember the shot on target he had at Southampton that led directly to the second goal.   Small beer you might think, but four points this season have been directly gained because he was on the pitch.  In a season like this and the way the league is, that is not small beer........

Stats are best left inside a computer.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Brilliant.  Thanks for pointing it out, we all really needed to see that................

[/quote]
At least it is based in reality, which is in stark contrast to your nonsensical ramblings that you arrogantly assume we all need to see, and agree with.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="lake district canary"]Brilliant.  Thanks for pointing it out, we all really needed to see that................[/quote]
At least it is based in reality, which is in stark contrast to your nonsensical ramblings that you arrogantly assume we all need to see, and agree with.
[/quote]I refer you to my post above which is based in reality - goals and points.  Much more real than some stats that just show a player in a bad light for no other reason than to show him in a bad light. 

LDC,

Stats may be best left ionside a computer, and perhaps memories best left inside the head.

To say RvW gained us 4 points as a direct result of him being on the pitch, is a bit rich, because;

1) Whose to say a player playing instead of him wouldn''t have sored the goal (his only goal)

2) Perhaps his shot on target v Southampton should have gone in and shouldn''t of needing following up by someone else and ano could have done the same

3) Harassing of Spurs players, again, whose to say his replacement would not of done that

4) Had another player being taking his place there is a fair chance they would have scored more goals and earned us more points

So I do not think it is small beer, in fact I''m not even sure I would class it as half a shandy.

I''ve got it, he''s gone teetotal?

If someone had responded to you how you responded to the OP then you would''ve flown off the handle so don''t give me that bull****

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="kick it off"][quote user="lake district canary"]Brilliant.  Thanks for pointing it out, we all really needed to see that................[/quote]
[/quote]I refer you to my post above which is based in reality - goals and points.  Much more real than some stats that just show a player in a bad light for no other reason than to show him in a bad light.[/quote]
And who''s to say another player wouldn''t have won us more points by taking his spot in the team.
You also seem to fail to take into account points he has cost us by fluffing chances.

[quote user="Ray"]LDC,

Stats may be best left ionside a computer, and perhaps memories best left inside the head.

To say RvW gained us 4 points as a direct result of him being on the pitch, is a bit rich, because;

1) Whose to say a player playing instead of him wouldn''t have sored the goal (his only goal)

2) Perhaps his shot on target v Southampton should have gone in and shouldn''t of needing following up by someone else and ano could have done the same

3) Harassing of Spurs players, again, whose to say his replacement would not of done that

4) Had another player being taking his place there is a fair chance they would have scored more goals and earned us more points

So I do not think it is small beer, in fact I''m not even sure I would class it as half a shandy.

I''ve got it, he''s gone teetotal?[/quote]

You may be right, but we''re talking about facts here.  Stats are "facts" in the starkest terms - but they rarely give you the full picture.  My facts about his goal against Everton and the winning the ball against Tottenham which led to the goal - are irrefutable in every way.   Your points are mere conjecture in comparison.

LDC,

You are of course correct, but your facts hardly lead us to believe we have a world beater.

In essence if we follow your logic, then his replacement may as well have been a manakin left on the penalty spot, whilst conjecture and not provable, there''s a fair chance the ball would have hit it and gone in at some stage.

Also irrefutable is that he has only scored one goal and made one assist, oh and successfully tackled a Spurs player, in an entire season!

LDC, I don''t doubt his desire to do well and I bear him no malice, but he is the highest paid player I believe, so surely we deserve more for our money than one goal, one assist (if you can call it that) and one tenuous link to a goall by winning a tackle on the touch line.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="kick it off"][quote user="lake district canary"]Brilliant.  Thanks for pointing it out, we all really needed to see that................[/quote]
[/quote]I refer you to my post above which is based in reality - goals and points.  Much more real than some stats that just show a player in a bad light for no other reason than to show him in a bad light.[/quote]
And who''s to say another player wouldn''t have won us more points by taking his spot in the team.
You also seem to fail to take into account points he has cost us by fluffing chances.
[/quote]This latest dose of twaddle from Lakey is precisely what I''m talking about when I refer to the fact that he is easily satisfied and has a narrow agenda.He keeps denying it, and asking me to provide examples of both. I keep supplying, but he rejects them. But, unwittingly, with the nonsense above he''s done my job for me.An own goal even more spectacular than Kaboul''s yesterday, and one, which ties in neatly with the thread topic, that even RvW would be able to convert.

[quote user="Ray"]LDC,

You are of course correct, but your facts hardly lead us to believe we have a world beater.

In essence if we follow your logic, then his replacement may as well have been a manakin left on the penalty spot, whilst conjecture and not provable, there''s a fair chance the ball would have hit it and gone in at some stage.

Also irrefutable is that he has only scored one goal and made one assist, oh and successfully tackled a Spurs player, in an entire season!

LDC, I don''t doubt his desire to do well and I bear him no malice, but he is the highest paid player I believe, so surely we deserve more for our money than one goal, one assist (if you can call it that) and one tenuous link to a goall by winning a tackle on the touch line.[/quote]

Fair enough.  As for your point about the  penalty spot, I thought Snodgrass had bagged that place......

LDC- get a grip.

The very fact that an impartial news source highlights him as statistically the worst striker in the premiership is not to be lightly discounted.

Indeed it is exactly how a manager would look at things surely?

RVW has been a MASSIVE flop considering the cost. He doesn''t do the one thing he was purchased to do.

Score goals.

LDC,

Re Snodgrass and the penalty spot, again you may be correct but my conjecture is that the manakin would have fallen over less often!

[quote user="Ray"]LDC,

Re Snodgrass and the penalty spot, again you may be correct but my conjecture is that the manakin would have fallen over less often![/quote]

I think a manakin would have been more likely to have scored from the penalty spot than Snodgrass did that day.......who knows if RVW had taken that, things may have been different.

LDC,

Well that we do agree on but as you said, conjecture!

Before we unreservedly disregard  statistics, take note that they are the very vehicle  which lifted us up to the Premier league.Disrespect them and they will unreservedly disregard our cries when sending us back to were we statistically deserve to be. Ignore them -"leave them in the PC"- and see if that approach earns the FA''s - Premier League  sympathy vote for the North or South reward at seasons end.Hey! That sympathy vote may well be our best or only chance.[:)][:)][:)]

Rufus

For what it''s worth I think your post relevant and AOKNB: More stats to follow[:D]

If you see the youtube video of RvW''s goals at Sporting Lisbon, you''d think we''d''ve bought a totally different player !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdUL4v2xps4

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Always bear in mind that all strikers have struggled whilst Hughton has been in charge.[/quote]True, and one of the reasons why I think CH has to go whether we stay up or not.$ lake_district_canary > /dev/null

According to a player i have spoken to about him he says he is unbelievable in training and scores some fantastic goals, says he just needs to get his match confidence back. Seems to be the case for all forwards that play under Hughton.

L.D.C.  I agree with you, wish people would just get off  Wolfies back. Just to let you know im an outer, wish C.H would have gone a long time ago, but you are right about Wolfie, but thats the only thing i agree with you on, sorry

Whilst the site whoscored is a bit too stats based and not subjective at all, it''s right about RVW. Funnily enough, there''s plenty of candidates down in the bottom 6, it seems that it''s sorting goals that is the main thing the lower teams are all struggling with.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Ray"]LDC,

Re Snodgrass and the penalty spot, again you may be correct but my conjecture is that the manakin would have fallen over less often![/quote]

I think a manakin would have been more likely to have scored from the penalty spot than Snodgrass did that day.......who knows if RVW had taken that, things may have been different.

[/quote]Yeah, yeah, yeah. The penalty was hit hard and on target and saved by the keeper. Can''t believe the amount of shit Snodgrass actually gets for that. Only difference if RVW would have taken it is that his limp effort probably wouldn''t have even reached the goal line.Bit rich blaming service for our striker getting 1 goal when the winger getting abuse has got 6 himself as well as 5 assists.

Let''s make no bones about this, he is terrible. RVW currently averages 1 shot on target in 3 games. He cannot hold the ball up, has no pace, can''t finish and does not get into the right positions. He chances we have created for him he misses.

[quote user="Barossa"]Let''s make no bones about this, he is terrible.[/quote]I would like to make a bone about that.[quote]RVW currently averages 1 shot on target in 3 games.[/quote]And how many genuine chances does he actually get in a game? I''ve repeatedly seen the guy having to drop deep into midfield just to get a pass ffs, so quite how do you expect him to constantly be shooting with no supply???[quote]He cannot hold the ball up[/quote]No, because he''s not a target man, if that''s what you want then Hughton should have signed Carroll[quote]has no pace[/quote]Over a short burst he''s ok, but never lightning quick like Redmond etc, plus his top speed is average at best[quote]can''t finish and does not get into the right positions.[/quote]Absolute garbage.He''s the most natural finisher we have at the club, but in order for him to do that he needs to be given the right balls to make it happen, either through balls past the defence or across the area for a first time shot in and around the area - we constantly give him NEITHER of them.[quote]The chances we have created for him he misses.[/quote]Yes, he has missed a few good chances, but less clear cut chances than Hooper has (who''s suddenly become Henry overnight). He''s also struggling for confidence and form (after being misused in the incorrect role for months on end) with pi$$ poor supply, he''s hardly going to convert consistently in those circumstances is he?The sad truth is that Hughton has so far destroyed the guys season by trying to play him as a target man instead of the natural goal poacher that he is. The fact that Hughton has basically destroyed the goal returns of EVERY SINGLE STRIKER we''ve had in the last 2 years (even those like RVW, Hooper and Holt who were prolific before), and I don''t see how RVW alone can be singled out, and instead we should be asking the man in charge why he signed RVW and Hooper if he justs wants to play a Carroll or Zigic type player instead...

The average ratings part of whoscored.com is a nonsense, its completely opaque and they provide no detailed information as to how its calculated.RVW has not been good this year I don''t think that can be argued but there is no chance he''s been worse than Jozy Altidore, who is staggeringly bad.