Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Scouting thoughts v Swansea

Hughton has said that although the starting team selection was much the same (only 1 change in defence) as had started against Sunderland the team had been asked to play in a different way.I thought that Norwich (and many other clubs) had figured out that it is best to press Swansea high up the pitch right across their back 4. If Hughton insists on playing RvW then surely RvW has to play very

high up the pitch quite central to the goal as he is more of a

goal-hanger looking to finish clear chances created by others.To me, Redmond would have been an obvious selection to press Swansea high up the pitch.Instead, Norwich had RvW and Elmander both playing deep. Snodgrass and Wes were "tucked inside". Howson was struggling in a deep position (just as he has often done in that position).Our tactic seemed to be to try to crowd-out the central midfield but it seemed very disorganised. It was very narrow quite like having 3 banks of 2 in front of our back 4 so conceding wide areas:             RvW Elmander             Wes Snodgrass             Tettey Howson Olsson Bassong Bennett Martin                           RuddyHowson was terrible so was rightly substituted. I thought it was strange that Wes was substituted. He had actually been playing well.Jonas was brought on, but Jonas'' best position is on the left or base of a midfield diamond. I thought that Hughton missed the chance to play Wes at the head of a diamond behind a front 2, Jonas left, Snodgrass right, Tettey at the base like this:         Becchio Hooper                   Wes       Jonas          Snodgrass                  TetteyOlsson Bassong Bennett Martin                   Ruddyor perhaps:                 Hooper             Wes     Snodgrass  Jonas                      Redmond                   TetteyOlsson Bassong Bennett Martin                    RuddyOr perhaps:                 Hooper             Wes     Redmond  Jonas                      Snodgrass                   TetteyOlsson Bassong Bennett Martin                    RuddyInstead we had Jonas, Johnson and Tettey parked in front of the back 4 trying to keep the score down:                   Hooper              Elmander  Snodgrass        Jonas Johnson Tettey Olsson Bassong Bennett Martin                     Ruddy2-0 down at h/t and Hughton went more defensive and deeper against a team that doesn''t like to be pressed high up the pitch. I wonder what sort of negative signal that sends to the players. However, if you are going to sit back and concede ground (even when losing) then surely you need pace to try to hit teams on the counter-attack.Our greatest goal threats have been Hooper and Snodgrass and I think they link together quite well. I would play Snodgrass just behind Hooper. That would also give opportunities for Redmond to play on the right.

"Hughton has said that although the starting team selection was much the same (only 1 change in defence) as had started against Sunderland the team had been asked to play in a different way."

Has he come out & said that Tom? That''s exactly how it looked to me (Although Nutty, amongst others, had a different view).

If so, it was a really, really poor error of judgment on his behalf.

Does seem quite difficult to understand how the intial team selection was supposed to bring success (other than it worked last time so lets hope it works again) or indeed how protecting the 2-0 loss was going to change things. My other half asked me at half-time what I htought Hughton would do, as the commentator on the stream I was watching said ''Hughton has to change things at half time''. I said, ''he''ll try to protect the 2-0 defeat'', and sure enough on came two defensive midfielders. Very strange

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Scouting thoughts v Swansea[/quote]I just hope when Hughton does finally leave they give you the job Tom.By your own admission, players, managers and coaches hold you in high regard and you admit you''re a brilliant tactician, so you are a shoe in for the job.Not only that, you''d sort out a new and bigger stadium at no extra cost so we''d have extra money to compete with the big boys.Perfect! [:D]

Nice bit of retro analysis - but scouting usually done for up coming fixtures

So Tom what is you analysis for the west brom game - what tactics do you think we should deploy against them given they are signifiantly different in playing style to Swansea?