Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

What are we good at?

We''re not bottom, so we must have some strengths.

When teams play us, what do they worry about?

I''d say that despite it''s inconsistency, the defence and keeper is a strong point, especially at home, i''d also say some teams worry about Robert Snodgrass and how to deal with him. He doesn''t have loads of pace, but on his day, he''ll be a nuisance to anyone.

Winning games at home when it really matters has to be there too.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]We''re not bottom, so we must have some strengths.

When teams play us, what do they worry about?

I''d say that despite it''s inconsistency, the defence and keeper is a strong point, especially at home, i''d also say some teams worry about Robert Snodgrass and how to deal with him. He doesn''t have loads of pace, but on his day, he''ll be a nuisance to anyone.

Winning games at home when it really matters has to be there too.[/quote]

Good question. I agree about Snoddy - he''s respected throughout the league as a nuisance, no matter what our fans think. And yeah, we''re surprisingly good at winning when it supposedly *really* matters.

As for our defence and keeper, I suppose amongst our peers near the bottom, it''s fairly strong.. but not much to shout about in comparison with the top half of the table. Poor Ruddy has to do a lot of work, and he is unquestionably the best part of our defence! I read the other day that he has made the second most saves in the league, after David Marshall - another excellent keeper in an average team.. and don''t we know it!

The thing about us is (and I suppose this could be said of many teams) our inconsistent performances. We CAN be brilliant, and on those days our strengths are probably our midfield and wingers. It''s certainly not our strikers! And even during the good performances, our defence looks like it has a mistake or 2 in it. But when we play well, it''s normally our midfield and people like Snoddy and Olsson giving the opposition a hard time.

When we play poorly.. we only seem to have one strength - Ruddy!

I doubt teams worry very much about us to be honest. Biggest problem for them is probably how theyre going to break us down. They probably only really consider the pace of Redmond as a direct threat, but we use it so poorly its unlikely to give them sleepless nighs. We generally let teams, especially away, play however they want and put them under very little pressure

Against S''land we were very good at harrying them, closing them down and generally being "in their faces" to use a Pulis-type expression. Elmander in particular. It made all the difference. Too often we just sit back and let the oppo come on to us, no surprise that we get regular stuffings as a result.