Sign in to follow this  

well said Rob Butler.

Rob Butler is not really my cup of tea, and his opinions seem to swing like a pendulum, but he''s only doing his job, and most radios come with an off switch these days!!

Butler set his stall out pretty early when it comes to RVW. And of course RVW hasn''t really done much to prove him wrong.

But I get the feeling that has got to the stage where he doesn''t truly want RVW to be a success. Which goes for some people on here too.

So Hooper missed a few chances GP at least he''s getting in the right areas time to lay off this nonsense about the supply line not finding RVW''s incredible runs when they seem to find Hooper''s ok. Also RVW is very weak in the air he loses far more battles than he wins. Also Hoopers first touch, hold up play and lay off when back''s to goal is far superior to RVWs. Still hope he turns it round though.

of his points

1. RVW would struggle in the championship and is a complete dud.
  2. Hughton tactics away from home are to blame for the poor shows along with the players not showing any passion for the club or our fantastic travelling support.
  3. why RVW gets the nod over Hooper every week other than Hughton being embarrased that he thought so highly of RVW and is praying for a miracle change in form and even says that
  4. Becchio should be higher up the pecking order than RVW.
  5. He fears that the travelling support will give up before the club realise they have a problem and
  6. Hughton should be gone regardless as soon as the last game ends against Arsenal.

3 points address his personal agenda againt RvW - yes he has been poor,  but still shown more in his appearances than Becchio has;   bechhio has shown some good champs stuff,  but nor has he been great.  He has not taken the limited chances he had this year.   RvW not champs standard?   no evidence of that either - and definite evidence that he is not a clear dud.    Ignorant claims appealing to prejudiced ignorant fans outrage

RvW v Hooper?   Hoopers last start (soton away)  was the most absysmal striking performance in years - it was no surprise he was both subbed and dropped;   no challanges or defending from the front;   RvWs performance against the swans was nearly as inept - but not great.   Both suffered from woeful service that made them both look worse than they were.   In both games we looked a better team with rvw on the pitch & hooper played worse than ricky.  But be clear the context is both about being a 5 v a 5.5.    They are clearly much of a mucness and suffering partly from things outside of their control

The away fans simply wont give up;  they have the club at heart and have endured not just two seasons of poor away performances but decades of them with a few exceptional seasons on the road;   we are at an away low ebb,  but we have still sold out Fulham;    another bombastic soundbite amed to attract attention to boost his ego - and the players are mainly to blame for their apathetic performances in the last two away matches in particular!

The only point I can agree is that I would prefer hughton to be gone in the summer;   but not just change for changes sake;   Hughton is one a par to malky, lennon, clarke, allardyce, Pulis being the best current crop of british manager - all are pragmatic and most just succeed in staying in the prem;   If thats who we get we may as well stay with Hughton - at least with the provided budget he has a record of surving in  this league.    A new manager has to be an improvement - to get better quality we will probably have to hit a euro manager.    

RvW has partly been a victim of hughtons tactics.

Playing him as a loan striker before he got injured was a stupid thing to do. You can see by the runs he makes he''ll never have that much time on the ball, that''s not his game. Completely wrecked his confidence. Players of his style demand a certain style/quality of service, same as hooper, and they don''t get it. Speaks volumes that he fact we have scored barely any goals as a team suggests it''s not all down to finishing. Put it down to tactics/service but I wouldn''t say it''s all the forwards fault. Elmander was in double figures last season he was at Bolton and has scored consistantly at international and club level, hoopers been banging them in for months. If your a finisher your a finisher, doesn''t matter what standard you play in. Looking back at previous game highlights, with the exception of a few chances, we haven''t really missed a shedload of sitters????

You can see all the forwards are afraid to run with the ball, RvW in particular makes arching runs across the defence and nobody notices it. If we sign a player like him we need to play to his style and we don''t do it enough. Don''t think once I''ve seen a Norwich player put him through with a decent ball that he wants. He''s had to work hard to accommodate the tactics into his game but it doesn''t seem to be paying off. Saying he''s a terrible player is a bit of a harsh statement to make, you don''t score 100 professional goals or whatever the figure is, or demand an 8.5 million fee if your a bad player. After all the scouts didn''t do too bad a job with Yobo olsson fer tettey and the rest???

Not saying he''s in the same ballpark as RvP and huntelaar But when he joined he was in the Dutch squad. when your selected behind them 2 your not a bad player. Also, Portuguese league is no roll over as some of our europen teams have discovered! Buying an international player is always a risk but it''s clear we haven''t seen the best from him, and optimistically I hope he comes good and we keep hold of him for next season

Cannot help but think that a lot of this anti Rob Butler stuff on here is the work of people who are jealous as hell that Mr Butler gets to do precisely what they''d love to do...ie massage their egos by waxing lyrical about Norwich City on the mainstream media.Personally, I''ve no beef with him. He''s like any other media pundit. Some of the stuff he says I agree with. Some of it I do not. No problem with that. He''s clearly an articulate intelligent guy. I also think that the criticism of Goreham is unfair too. He''s a pretty good radio football commentator, and, as a BBC employee he has, nominally, to be unbiased. Sure, he will always favour Norwich City, but to describe him as bland is missing the point. His brief is not to be opinionated. That''s Butler''s job.Let''s face it there is no shortage of opportunity these days to either voice or receive wild and wacky opinions on the subject of football. As someone else has said. If you do not like Butler or Goreham, there''s always the ''off'' switch.

I personally have no time for RB as a radio presenter - although as I have previously stated I do not know the man personally and he may be a really nice guy.

I actually totally agree with ZLFs post.

It''s easy to slag people off and I''m sure Mr Butler was as excited as anybody when we bought our new strike force. Let''s have constructive criticism and alternatives not just "he''s rubbish" - and his credentials for the job... he''s just a fan with a microphone.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]- and his credentials for the job... he''s just a fan with a microphone.[/quote]Erm....I think you''ll find that that is the whole idea, Great Drinkell.......

Gingerpele wrote the following post at 2014-04-01 2:48 AM:

Lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol.

RVW does more in general than Hooper.

Becchio is not good enough.

You miss one fact GP - apart from score goals!!!

And prey what facts do you use to evidence your comments about Becchio?

Like it or not, he is bang on, RVW is a very very embarrassing FLOP, his record here, or lack of it, speaks volumes.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]Has Butler, any qualifications in football like coaching badges or played at any sort of level?

I would have my doubts.[/quote]

Why does he need coaching badges? He''s the non ex player/commentator side of the Radio Norfolk coverage. Dropped in to get the debate going and the only one who is given a bit of licence to "tell it how it is." Of course not everyone will always agree but that''s the whole point of these radio phone ins and discussion shows.

I still struggle to see anything he''s said as outlined in the OPs post that the majority of fans would disagree with. I personally don;t think Becchio is any good so would not have him above RVW (who I also think must now be labelled a flop although still a chance for him to turn it around next season) but other than that i think he''s spot on. Anyway I seriously doubt Butler said outright that Hughton should be sacked after the Arsenal game even though that is what many of us would like to see.

As for anyone thinking RVW is a better striker than Hooper on the evidence of this season then in my opinion they must be mad! RVW has missed about a dozen sitters in the games he has played. hooper is a proper striker and if he was playing with Wes as he should be then in my opinion he would be showing us that.

[quote user="City 2nd"]Gingerpele wrote the following post at 2014-04-01 2:48 AM:

Like it or not, he is bang on, RVW is a very very embarrassing FLOP, his record here, or lack of it, speaks volumes.[/quote]

The only embarrassing thing is the way some fans like to dismiss players at the drop of a hat.  Give the guy time. He was injured and took a while to get fully fit.  His confidence is down - and will be until he scores - but the way he works and contributes to the team effort on the pitch speaks volumes for his heart and desire.   He will score and it may be next season before we see him at his best.

Now let me see........that means Hugton, Calderwood and Trollope have to go, the players they inspired to Norwich will want to go - so that''s Redmond, Bassong, Fer, Hooper,Yobo.  RVW has to go,  Pilkington will want to go, Hoolahan wants to go, Snodders will go to Celtic,  Ruddy will want to go,  Olsson won''t stay, Garido will be gone close season, Becchio won''t want to stay............that just about covers it.  Or we could keep most or all of them and let the squad evolve slowly instead having of wholesale - and expensive - changes. If we stay up, I know what I would want.

The only player in a long time I have thought should leave - for his own sake as much as ours - was Steve Morison.   RVW hasn''t found his confidence yet - but imo he will, because of the character he shows on the pitch.  Goals may be missing, but we still win with him in the team and that says something must be right imo.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="City 2nd"]Gingerpele wrote the following post at 2014-04-01 2:48 AM:

Like it or not, he is bang on, RVW is a very very embarrassing FLOP, his record here, or lack of it, speaks volumes.[/quote]

The only embarrassing thing is the way some fans like to dismiss players at the drop of a hat.  Give the guy time. He was injured and took a while to get fully fit.  His confidence is down - and will be until he scores - but the way he works and contributes to the team effort on the pitch speaks volumes for his heart and desire.   He will score and it may be next season before we see him at his best.

Now let me see........that means Hugton, Calderwood and Trollope have to go, the players they inspired to Norwich will want to go - so that''s Redmond, Bassong, Fer, Hooper,Yobo.  RVW has to go,  Pilkington will want to go, Hoolahan wants to go, Snodders will go to Celtic,  Ruddy will want to go,  Olsson won''t stay, Garido will be gone close season, Becchio won''t want to stay............that just about covers it.  Or we could keep most or all of them and let the squad evolve slowly instead having of wholesale - and expensive - changes. If we stay up, I know what I would want.

The only player in a long time I have thought should leave - for his own sake as much as ours - was Steve Morison.   RVW hasn''t found his confidence yet - but imo he will, because of the character he shows on the pitch.  Goals may be missing, but we still win with him in the team and that says something must be right imo.

[/quote]

Hooper wouldn''t go if Hughton went. The only ones who might are Bassong and Redmond but i doubt it. In fact given his inexplicable lack of game time recently Redmond might no longer be as pro Hughton as he once was.

If he stays I think Hoolahan, Pilks and maybe one or two others will want out.

[quote user="Jim Smith"] Hooper wouldn''t go if Hughton went. The only ones who might are Bassong and Redmond but i doubt it. In fact given his inexplicable lack of game time recently Redmond might no longer be as pro Hughton as he once was.

If he stays I think Hoolahan, Pilks and maybe one or two others will want out.[/quote]Absolutely, Jim. Not for the first time Lakey is talking total sh ite.The list of players wanting to leave ,should we be foolish enough to keep Hughton next term, is far longer than those wanting to should he go.

TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 01/04/2014 10:00 AM:

Vanwink wrote:

Are you recovered now?

Not fully functioning yet Winky but well on the way thanks.

Good

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]The list of players wanting to leave ,should we be foolish enough to keep Hughton next term, is far longer than those wanting to should he go.[/quote]You just made that up Reggie didn''t you?  If not, why not put those two lists on here so we can see how it pans out?

The man open his mouth without much thought. Why is canary call so poor these days? Bring back Neil Adams, someone who knowledge and skill in presenting it was second to none.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]The list of players wanting to leave ,should we be foolish enough to keep Hughton next term, is far longer than those wanting to should he go.[/quote]You just made that up Reggie didn''t you?  If not, why not put those two lists on here so we can see how it pans out? [/quote]Not at all,Lapps. I''m not in the business of making stuff up, unlike a few on hereFrankly, I''m hard pressed to think of any player who would make Hughton''s continued employment as manager a condition of his signing a new Norwich contract.But, I agree with whoever said that , for a start, I cannot see Pilks or Wes wanting to remain at Norwich under Hughton . You can probably add Garrido, Becchio and Whits to that list too.It sounds like you disagree with me. Perhaps you''d like to put your head above the parapet and put your take on this ?

Oh come one, Hooper has 7 goals to Ricky''s 1. Hooper''s missed a chance or two yes but this is no time of the season to be hoping RVW''s form comes good. If there''s a good chance to score on saturday I know who I would much rather it fell to.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]The list of players wanting to leave ,should we be foolish enough to keep Hughton next term, is far longer than those wanting to should he go.[/quote]You just made that up Reggie didn''t you?  If not, why not put those two lists on here so we can see how it pans out? [/quote]Not at all,Lapps. I''m not in the business of making stuff up, unlike a few on hereFrankly, I''m hard pressed to think of any player who would make Hughton''s continued employment as manager a condition of his signing a new Norwich contract.But, I agree with whoever said that , for a start, I cannot see Pilks or Wes wanting to remain at Norwich under Hughton . You can probably add Garrido, Becchio and Whits to that list too.It sounds like you disagree with me. Perhaps you''d like to put your head above the parapet and put your take on this ?[/quote]The five players you named are all fringe players so it''s not rocket science to expect them to move on if they can get regular first team football elsewhere. It''s not down to Hughton. If a new manager came in and told them their position would be unchanged, the chances are, they''d still be off.

One week Butler is Hughton in, the next week he''s Hughton out. And then there was the embarrassing episode where he told all ''Hughton outers'' to eat humble pie. The next week we were tonked. Decent enough guy when he''s not contradicting himself. Apparently hasn''t got a agenda on RvW but then spends half his Twitter feed and Canary Call laying into the guy.

Butler is the most fickle of us all when it comes to Hughton. One week he loves him, the next he''s calling for him to go.

I agree with him on Hughton here but beat West Brom and Butler will call Hughton one of the best managers in the clubs history.

Rob Butler is a tw@t. Totally lowered the quality of the entire Canary Call xp and is more fickle than anyone on here. If he has a pov he will masterbate furiously over it on air and talk over people. He sits in the snake pit so that gives a general idea about the kids IQ.Although I guess he is a gleaming beacon of joy for many un-employed as he at least has a job.... which is a pity

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]The list of players wanting to leave ,should we be foolish enough to keep Hughton next term, is far longer than those wanting to should he go.[/quote]You just made that up Reggie didn''t you?  If not, why not put those two lists on here so we can see how it pans out? [/quote]Not at all,Lapps. I''m not in the business of making stuff up, unlike a few on hereFrankly, I''m hard pressed to think of any player who would make Hughton''s continued employment as manager a condition of his signing a new Norwich contract.But, I agree with whoever said that , for a start, I cannot see Pilks or Wes wanting to remain at Norwich under Hughton . You can probably add Garrido, Becchio and Whits to that list too.It sounds like you disagree with me. Perhaps you''d like to put your head above the parapet and put your take on this ?[/quote]The five players you named are all fringe players so it''s not rocket science to expect them to move on if they can get regular first team football elsewhere. It''s not down to Hughton. If a new manager came in and told them their position would be unchanged, the chances are, they''d still be off. [/quote]So I didn''t make it up then Lapps ? Make your mind up. You asked a question. I gave a perfectly reasonable answer.But, I notice , when I requested your take on this, you''ve not come up with any answers.

whilst he changes his opinion regularly, and often dependent on whos sitting beside him (ive heard him call for people to back hughton, normally when adrian forbes is there brown nosing hughton at the same time) -  in this instance hes absolutely bang on the moneyhughton out