Sign in to follow this  
DistantCanary

Bassong Interview

Wants the season to end, he''s had enough, tired apparently.

I''ll tell you what i want to end -- his contract

I''ll tell you what i''m tired of - his shambolic defensive displays, mistakes and couldn''t give a s**t attitude.

This guy is our captain FFS anyone surprised why ''OUR'' team constantly throw the towel in??

I came on to post something similar although I don''t particularly want him completely gone. It''s a dreadful attitude for a captain or any member of the squad to be honest. I actually can''t believe they''ve published the interview as it''s potentially quite damaging.

"It''s been a long and tiring season."

For the Sunderland players maybe, who have put a lot of effort into the cup competitions, but not so much for our fickle bunch who have been throwing in the towel in cup competitions for far too many seasons.

Anyway, best he pulls his finger out ''cos he''ll be playing far more matches next season if he doesn''t put in some donkey work over the next few weeks.

Just read it....is it that bad? .......I''ll read it again to see if it in any way upsets me........"a long and tiring season" what a terrible thing to say, lets lock him in the tower and throw away the key!!

Just read it again, and I see a relatively positive interview.....

“Yeah we do (want the season to be over),” said the City team captain. “It’s been a long and tiring season.

“So now we are getting towards the end of the season we just want to finish it well – especially when the last four games we have are not the easiest.

We will try to get ourselves safe before that, and we’ll see what happens.

“Saturday is just going to be another Premier League game. I don’t feel any heat on us or on myself or whoever. It’s another important game, there are fewer and fewer games left, so we’re getting really close to the end of the season.

It’s a home game, a game we’ve got to win – as is every game. So it’s not going to be so much different.”

I find Bassong totally uninspiring. His interview after the Swansea game couldn''t motivate an alcoholic to buy a pint.

His interview after the West Ham defeat was also cringeworthy: "I''m hoping I''ll wake up on the pitch and it''ll all be a dream". Get a grip, Seb.

Typical Bassong. He''s so rubbish.

He says he wants the season to finish well. I mean, seriously, who does he think he is?

I suppose it''s not been an enjoyable season for anyone, especially the defence, but i''d rather he just got his head down and powered through rather than crying about it. It''s a silly and badly timed comment for me.

[quote user="GJP"]

Typical Bassong. He''s so rubbish.

He says he wants the season to finish well. I mean, seriously, who does he think he is?

[/quote]I appreciate he also said that and that should definitely be a given, but for a very highly paid athlete to comment: “Yeah we do (want the season to be over).” “It’s been a long and tiring season." just seemed strangely timed.

My opinion of this guy is not solely formed by this latest uninspiring drivel.

Its been formed over the course of this season having watched him and others at Villa, Swansea, Fulham in the cup, Old Trafford in the CC, West Ham etc etc produce woeful performances riddled with costly mistakes.

The guy shouldn''t even be in the team let alone captain, no better than Elliot Ward, Whitbread, Barnett but as he seems to be one of Hughtons adopted sons can do no wrong.

Or maybe I AM being too harsh on the guy and maybe its me who should take the same "oh well'' attitude to every goal conceded and 5-0 defeat.

[quote user="DistantCanary"] The guy shouldn''t even be in the team let alone captain, no better than Elliot Ward, Whitbread, Barnett but as he seems to be one of Hughtons adopted sons can do no wrong. Or maybe I AM being too harsh on the guy and maybe its me who should take the same "oh well'' attitude to every goal conceded and 5-0 defeat. [/quote]

Who would you have in the team?

Bassong was POTS last season and people raved about him. Many, many people said he was the only choice for captain. Although I did say last summer that he wouldn''t have been my choice for captain...

Of the current crop of centre halves i would have Yobo, Turner and Russell Martin ahead of him. All more solid and dependable.

RM much more assured at Centre Half than full back.

Turner is worth his place. Yobo has done alright - though I''m yet to see him do any better than Turner or Bassong have in a Norwich shirt.

Martin is clearly not a better centreback than any of those.

Badly timed words. Someone at Norwich should''ve screened this before it went out! Although I''m kind of glad that doesn''t seem to happen!

The thing is with Seb, he was great last season. So obviously he was a good shout for captain. But he was poor from the start this season, and it was obvious to most people that he wasn''t doing a very good job with the captaincy either. So Hughton should''ve had a word and said lets give it to someone else so you can concentrate on getting fit and back to form (a nice way of saying you''re a s**t captain, I''m taking it off you).

GJP,

Why clearly? Surely what you mean is, in my opinion, because there are many on here who disagree with you plus of course Gordon Strachan who plays RM at CB for Scotland, now I accept there may not be too many options but the Scottish results since he became their CB have been quite good, certainly an improvement on previous results and against some decent teams too. Won 5, Drawn 1, Lost 2 and two of those wins were against Croatia.

I would give him serous consideration for the CB role, if for no other reason he could captain from there and imo, do a damn good job.

God.... I read that interview and just knew the usual suspects would be reading WAY to much in to it and throwing their toys out of the pram.

Even one comment suggesting he couldn''t wait till the season is over to get away from Hughton..... Embarrasing.

Some really need to get a grip and should probably stop reading the media interviews as they don''t have the intelligence to grasp what''s being said.

[quote user="Ray"]GJP, Why clearly? Surely what you mean is, in my opinion, because there are many on here who disagree with you plus of course Gordon Strachan who plays RM at CB for Scotland, now I accept there may not be too many options but the Scottish results since he became their CB have been quite good, certainly an improvement on previous results and against some decent teams too. Won 5, Drawn 1, Lost 2 and two of those wins were against Croatia. I would give him serous consideration for the CB role, if for no other reason he could captain from there and imo, do a damn good job.[/quote]

No. What I mean is Russell Martin is clearly not as good at centreback as Turner, Yobo or Bassong.

Yeah, he plays for Scotland at CB. That clearly shows a lot about the depth of quality Scotland have got in that area. Do you see many Scottish defenders in the Premier League? Infact I don''t think any Premier League side has a Scottish player as a regular CB for them.

And Yeah, Scotland have had some decent results but then again they haven''t come up against too much quality. When they played at Wembley I seem to remember Martin was at fault for at least one England goal. And that goal was when he was beaten all too easily in the air by Welbeck.

Playing him at CB just so he can be a good captain? That seems a bit thin. You can only play him there if he''s the best player for that position but with all other CB''s fit he is not.

He''s a good talker, a model pro but he''s beaten easily for pace in the wide areas and isn''t dominant/imposing enough to be a long term option in the centre of defence.

GJP,

You''re using that word again, ''clearly'', it may be clear to you but it isn''t to others. It''s like saying "be reasonable" when what we actually mean is, agree with me.

I don''t agree with you and nor do others, however doesn''t make you wrong, but our opinion proves us right to us just as your''s does to you.

Would still make him captain though, whatever position he played.