Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

RvW - Would he be better at another club?

Just out of interest, I wondered if anyone might speculate as to which current Premier League club RvW might be best suited to? He doesnt seem to fit into our set-up or approach towards the game, but would he be scoring goals at any of our rivals? Which PL club, with their style of play would RvW be lost likely to be effective at?

He will come good here when we have a manager who knows what to do with him, where to play him and get the team playing to his strengths.

I think it is too easy to blame Hughton RVWs failings.

I don''t think anybody would argue that the leagues in Holland and Portugal are of the same standard as the PL.

I think Bony cost Swansea £16 million. Singing RVW for £8.5 was huge gamble. We''d have been calling Hughton a genius if it had worked. Sadly, it hasn''t.

RVWs future lies in somewhere Micky Mouse league.

The worry thing is, if we are in the PL at the end of the season, can we afford £15/20 million for a striker capable of doing the job?

Someone like Everton, Arsenal or Swansea, who play good football and lay the chances on a plate for their strikers. You only have to watch videos of RVW on youtube to see he was a great finisher before he came here and lost his confidence - despite the fact the Portuguese league is weaker. But he''s lost confidence, and needs to bulk up a bit to give himself more of a chance here. Plus we often take too long to get the ball in the box, by which time he''s checked his run forward and has to stand and fight for the ball in the air with several defenders. Despite him probably not being up there with Van Persie, we really, really don''t play to his main strength. I''m just not sure "poacher" type players like him can succeed in many lower half teams. Having said that, I''m sure he''d be doing much better at Swansea. Oh well, maybe we''ll appoint a braver manager who likes to play more of a fluid passing game for next season? Fingers crossed.

[quote user="MancCanary"]Oh well, maybe we''ll appoint a braver manager who likes to play more of a fluid passing game for next season? Fingers crossed.[/quote]

Fingers crossed from me too - that the players will learn to play Hughton''s style of football  - which is a fluid passing game, as seen at recent home matches - more consistently - and gain confidence from that. 

RVW - and Hooper - have just to be a bit more clinical in front of goal - and a lucky goal or two could just get their confidence up again so they can achieve that.    

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="MancCanary"]Oh well, maybe we''ll appoint a braver manager who likes to play more of a fluid passing game for next season? Fingers crossed.[/quote]

Fingers crossed from me too - that the players will learn to play Hughton''s style of football  - which is a fluid passing game, as seen at recent home matches - more consistently - and gain confidence from that. 

RVW - and Hooper - have just to be a bit more clinical in front of goal - and a lucky goal or two could just get their confidence up again so they can achieve that.    

[/quote]

Sorry LDC, I know my comment must''ve hurt and you couldn''t let it pass! I agree about the strikers not exactly helping themselves though.

The debate about whether hughton''s planned game is a fluid, passing one or a rigid, zone-based affair will always rage on and on though. If it is the former, are the players "rebelling" when they play rigid, slow, zonal style play? Or do they just have very bad off days? We''ll never know. But our attacking play in general has been poorer since Lambert left and Hughton joined - that is easy to argue.

Difficult question because very few (if any) Premier league sides use a player like RVW, in fact the closest comparison in style of play that I can think of is Chicharito at Man Utd and he can''t get a regular game despite his goalscoring record and obvious ability.Liverpool would probably be the best shout, along with the likes of Southampton and even Swansea.The truth is however that we have the players with the ability to play to his strengths but the manager doesn''t want to play that way so it''s a moot point.

Apart from his touch, which you could put down to lack of confidence , the one thing he will never have is pace. This has been the biggest surprise for me. I assumed that it would be taken as read that a player with his background would be explosive , but he just isn''t . Putting RVW up against Chicharito and Suarez , even if he was confident , he can''t get in front of players.

He can get better if he choses his starting position better . But he is so devoid of confidence he has a habit of drifting behind the defender . and of course dropping so deep that the lack of pace is even more exposed.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="MancCanary"]Oh well, maybe we''ll appoint a braver manager who likes to play more of a fluid passing game for next season? Fingers crossed.[/quote]

[/quote]

Hmmmm passing and fluid at Swansea? Thought we got mulled myself but... Sorry my mistake.

[quote user="Che s right hand man "][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="MancCanary"]Oh well, maybe we''ll appoint a braver manager who likes to play more of a fluid passing game for next season? Fingers crossed.[/quote]

[/quote] Hmmmm passing and fluid at Swansea? Thought we got mulled myself but... Sorry my mistake.[/quote]

I thought our recent game against Swansea was away ?

[quote user="Manic Street Preacher"]I think it is too easy to blame Hughton RVWs failings.

I don''t think anybody would argue that the leagues in Holland and Portugal are of the same standard as the PL.

I think Bony cost Swansea £16 million. Singing RVW for £8.5 was huge gamble. We''d have been calling Hughton a genius if it had worked. Sadly, it hasn''t.

RVWs future lies in somewhere Micky Mouse league.

The worry thing is, if we are in the PL at the end of the season, can we afford £15/20 million for a striker capable of doing the job?[/quote]eh ! ! !Or are you goingto tell us that Hughton spends most of his time travelling across the continent searching for players. He doesn''t.Players are indentified by the board and signed by the board.Sadly they overlooked Hughton''s stifling tactics and coaching, which have seen Fer, Hooper, Becchio. Hoolahan. Pilkington and Redwood struggle and not show any sign of development.Even Ruddy and Bassong look dodgy at times.Remove Mr Magoo from the driving seat, and whilst we may not have an F1 car, we certainly won''t look like something that has conked out half way along the London to Brighton racea swe often do now.

[quote user="Manic Street Preacher"]I think it is too easy to blame Hughton RVWs failings.[/quote]Really? Surely Houghton knew the kind of player that RvW was when he bought him (I presume that Houghton was actually involved in the decision making process to buy RvW!). Why buy a square peg when you have a round hole to fill? RvW''s playing style just does not fit with the way Hughton likes his team to play. The buck stops with the manager. If the player is crap, then he shouldn''t have bought him. If the player isn''t a premier league standard player, then he shouldn''t have bought him. If the player doesn''t fit in with the style of football being played, shouldn''t have bought him. If the player is suffering from lack of confidence or motivation then it is the managers job to build those. For me, unless a player is out and out rebelling and deliberately playing below par, then poor performance is always down to poor management.Moo

Good thread this, I think the player RvW most resembles is Robbie Fowler...hes not particularly big, quick or strong but he is (was) sharp, so yes, arsenal, swansea or liverpool would probably suit him more than us, these teams game is built on passing and movement, something our Ricky is actually pretty good at. Playing in a team that delivers a ''neat'' ball, rather than one that has to be fought for ,would ,i feel, see him slotting home quite a few....he''d probably score a hatfull at Barca.

On a slightly different tack, lets not get rid of him just yet, we''re only a few players away from being a very decent side. A strong ,good passing No10 could turn our frog into a prince.

[/quote]Why bother Hoootan will be gone next season

do we change an system to accomondate 1 player or does that player need to adapt to fit in with a system?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]do we change an system to accomondate 1 player or does that player need to adapt to fit in with a system?[/quote]It''s as simple as asking them to play through balls and balls across the area instead of using RVW as a target man - not that hard to accomodate is it???