Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Van Wolfswinkel - Right player wrong decade.

One of my favourite strikers who didn''t have much physical presence  was Paulo Rossi who could also be classed as a bit of a poacher .He was absolutely  awesome  , who scored goals when it really mattered and  at 2 World Cups .What set him apart was his uncanny sense of opportunism and clinical finishing.The Italian team of the 1978 World Cup in Argentina had a very interesting goal threat .They used 3 forwards basically, with Causio ,Bettega and Rossi switching positions during the game (left wing /right wing/centre) to create confusion with the opposition''s defence .Ian Rush was also a skinny striker who could run on to through balls and poach in the 6 yard box.

[quote user="renegadecanary"]Ian Rush was also a skinny striker who could run on to through balls and poach in the 6 yard box.[/quote]And did you ever see Liverpool asking him NOT to play like that, but to play as a lone striker and hold the ball up instead?No, and that''s why this criticism of RVW is very harsh (shame that morons like Le Juge can''t grasp this simple premise)...

My criticism is of Hughton for spending £8.5m on a mediocre poacher who doesn''t fit our system and wouldn''t be above Hooper in the pecking order even if we did play a game which suited the role of a poacher.Shame like morons like Indy_bones can''t grasp this simple premise. I agree completely that Hughton has spent a huge chunk of our transfer and probably wage budget on a player who isn''t suited at all to the way that he plays football, that''s precisely why I want Hughton sacked. You however are seriously struggling to find an argument to support the idea that RVW is better than Hooper (£5.2m), who is also a poacher and yet has managed to pinch 7 goals this season despite not being played in his preferable position.There is one thing not being played to your strengths, and there is another thing being so far out of your depth in this league that you can''t muster a single goal in 26 appearances out of 40 shots and 10 on target.He has had five or six clear cut chances and hasn''t stuck one away. You can blame whoever you want for that, we can blame it all on Hughton, or we can say that he hasn''t taken his chances. I''m saying that he hasn''t taken his chances.You can always find excuses for failure, or you can take responsibility. We have too much of the former at this club and nowhere near enough of the latter. Refunding away fans at Swansea is a good start. Be nice for our manager to start taking a bit of responsibility too.

Summary:
  • I blame the management team for spending £8.5m on the wrong player.
  • I partially blame the management team for his lack of chances.
  • I partially blame Van Wolfswinkel for his lack of chances.
  • I blame Van Wolfswinkel for not burying a few of the five or six clear cut chances that he has had.

I hope that by proportioning responsibility we are now clear on who I am criticising and why.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Indy_Bones"]Gary Lineker scored so many goals because he was in the right place at the right time and was given the ball at that time, rather than him possessing some overpowering level of bravery.[/quote]Lineker was asked about that once. It was put to him that the key to being a good striker was being in the right place at the right time. He said no. "The trick is to be in the right place all the time."[/quote]That''s what Grant Holt was so great at. He very rarely scored a goal of any quality but was always where you needed a striker to be bundle the ball in the back of the net. RVW seems to always be in the wrong place or deliberately moving out of the centre of the penalty area for some reason.

At the time of his signing RvW said something about the manager wants to sign wide players... then only Redmond came in, which suggests to me there were other targets we failed to get - and hence if CH is here next year, we''ll be targeting at least one winger to replace Snodgrass and maybe Pilkington.. How much CH intended to play Snodgrass this year IMO we don''t really know as E. Bennett was injured after 1 game and Pilkington has never been fully fit either.

It''s not going well for either of our strikers but at least Hooper can say he''s bagged a few good goals.

Realistically RVW does some good harrying off opponents but nothing better than Hooper - and Hooper''s physical presence is an added bonus at the least.

In my opinion, if neither are scoring i''d rather Hooper over RVW as Hooper seems to get himself in better positions - or at least, positions where our players are expecting him to be.

I use a poacher on FM14 so its blatently not dead !!Juggy, why is everything you post these days anti RvW? He''s here we bought him hes one of ours. You cant go back and veto the transfer so make your peace with the situation and get over it.Or did he turn you down for a reach around in the Loft one night and your still gutted?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="renegadecanary"]Ian Rush was also a skinny striker who could run on to through balls and poach in the 6 yard box.[/quote]And did you ever see Liverpool asking him NOT to play like that, but to play as a lone striker and hold the ball up instead?No, and that''s why this criticism of RVW is very harsh (shame that morons like Le Juge can''t grasp this simple premise)...[/quote]This coming from the man who wanted us to buy Jozy Altidore

[quote user="Barossa"]This coming from the man who wanted us to buy Jozy Altidore[/quote]No, this coming from the man who said he didn''t think Altidore was anything special in this thread:[url=http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2921756/ShowPost.aspx]Defour[/url]With the direct quote of:[quote]"Altidore is a better player now than when he went on loan to Hull, but I

still don''t think he''s anything that special. At a cut price deal he''d

be a decent squad player, but certainly not a priority target by any

means."[/quote]Try harder next time will you?

[quote user="Le Juge"]Summary:
  • I blame the management team for spending £8.5m on the wrong player.[/quote]
In defence of the management team, we''d missed out on signing a decent pedigree striker in the previous windows so the pressure was on, we were priced out of most moves (Rhodes, Bony etc. etc.) and on paper, video evidence etc. Ricky looked a genuine goal threat.
I don''t think you can really blame the board/management for making the move - It''s how he''s being played, and the blind persistence reoccurring week in week out that''s the bigger issue.

"In defence of the management team, we''d missed out on signing a decent

pedigree striker in the previous windows so the pressure was on, we were

priced out of most moves (Rhodes, Bony etc. etc.) and on paper, video

evidence etc. Ricky looked a genuine goal threat"
What? We signed him in March, before we were safe, and so were the very first club to make their move before the summer. Not a single other club in this league had already signed their strikers, so doesn''t look to me like we were willing to wait until summer to see who was about and at what price!

"Or did he turn you down for a reach around in the Loft one night and your still gutted?"Casual racism goes down like a lead baloon on this forum, but casual homophobia does not. Your question isn''t worthy of a response.

[quote user="Le Juge"]What? We signed him in March, before we were safe, and so were the very first club to make their move before the summer. Not a single other club in this league had already signed their strikers[/quote]
Use your loaf mate, we''d failed the previous transfer window(s) to sign any prem quality forward and the club thought that had uncovered a bargain, based on paper and with sporting having financial issues.  If you remember they were trying to keep it quiet… I could imagine the board giggling with anticipation while it was going on.
That is a huge element as to why we signed him - Just to bring quality in.   Our first choice targets before that had all been out of reach, and as such signing RvW as an unknown quantity from europe probably opened the door for Hooper and potential other players - It was a great signing to make at the time. 
So, while i agree it wasn''t the right signing in hindsight, based on Hughton''s failure to utilise him correctly, i can 100% see why the management made their move and still think it''s a great signing.  We just need a change of mentality to get the best out of him.