Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Are we having those god awful clappers again Saturday

Please god no, cheap, gimmicky, cringe worthy and makes the majority of our fans look like retards as they can''t beat in time to we will rock you.

So please, let the crowd make the noise this week.

Tin pot. I think when games are as massive as this saturday they dont need them, the must win games atmosphere are always much better because you know youhave to give everything to will them over the line. Its the games in say january that you need them, when its cold and a defeat isnt such a disaster, any defeat is bad but at this stage of the season a defeat could be so costly where as you dont have to many must wins before march.

3 wins and draw with ''those god awful clappers''  yes please, we need all the help we can get, does it really matter how we are perceived by others as long as we win ! Plus I got a little too enthusiastic with the last game and broke mine !

[quote user="Paul"]Please god no, cheap, gimmicky, cringe worthy and makes the majority of our fans look like retards as they can''t beat in time to we will rock you.

So please, let the crowd make the noise this week.[/quote]

Ok then Paul, no clappers this week, but be warned if we lose it won''t be Hughton''s fault or Bassong''s fault or Bradley Johnson''s fault or RVW''s fault or Elmander''s fault or LDC''s fault or McNasty''s fault or Delia''s fault it will be YOUR FAULT!! ;-)

First off atmosphere is a load of rubbish.
The players don''t care if the fans are making noise. How on earth is a load of indeterminate chanting from the crowd whilst they are focusing on playing football going to help? It doesn''t. The players and manager come out and say the fans were great, but in reality how on earth can it help? And according to every older fan i''ve spoken to on the matter it didn''t happen half as much ''back in the day''.
Secondly, clappers aren''t tinpot. The obsession with calling everything like that tinpot, is fact the only thing that is tinpot.
Thirdly, our crowd has never been as good as some seem to think, even when we had seventy shots a game under the Messiah...... And when it is, its after we''ve scored a goal. Its not like the fans start screaming with glee 30 seconds before a goal happens is it... 

Are they embarrassing ? yes . Should we have them on sat ? def yes . it''s all well and good saying the fans will create the atmosphere but will they ? and what happens if everything gets nervous as hell in the 2nd half ? you will hear a pin drop and that will transfer itself to the players so lets have those noisy old clappers I say .

I don''t consider them to be at all embarrassing, and quite honestly couldn''t give a toss what supporters of other sides think (Stoke especially). Fact is, anything that gets a good atmosphere going is no bad thing and it is precisely what they do.

Wish we had them for the Stoke game might have drowned out that awful dirge about Asmir Begovic to the tune of Mrs Robinson for about twenty minutes. In Block H of the Jarrold we all got a headache.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]First off atmosphere is a load of rubbish.
The players don''t care if the fans are making noise. How on earth is a load of indeterminate chanting from the crowd whilst they are focusing on playing football going to help? It doesn''t. The players and manager come out and say the fans were great, but in reality how on earth can it help? And according to every older fan i''ve spoken to on the matter it didn''t happen half as much ''back in the day''.
Secondly, clappers aren''t tinpot. The obsession with calling everything like that tinpot, is fact the only thing that is tinpot.
Thirdly, our crowd has never been as good as some seem to think, even when we had seventy shots a game under the Messiah...... And when it is, its after we''ve scored a goal. Its not like the fans start screaming with glee 30 seconds before a goal happens is it... 
[/quote]

Even If it helps only 1 of our players play 1 or 2% above there normal ability, that could genuinely be the difference between a win and a loss. With margins so fine in the Premier League every little helps. Even if it is only ''indeterminate chanting'', It could be the difference.

To be fair we''ve done OK when they''ve been wheeled out. Only one defeat ( to Villa ).They may be tinpot and cringeworthy but the suppliers aren''t complaining and we won''t be if we get that precious win.In these situations you can''t beat a good ol'' dose of the clap......apparently.

2 points:

1. I hate them with a passion. They are cringeworthy, i hate the pre match build up with them, its embarassing. But they seem to work? They seem to add to the atmosphere & lift players

2. You don''t get much more tinpot. But after i had the same thoughts last season, literally 3 days later i saw that Munich fans were using them for the Champions League semi final - good enough for the Champions of Europe, but too tinpot for NCFC?

as much as i dislike them, i am all for them if they help increase the atmosphere & in turn lift the players

just don''t get me started on the lyrics to on the ball city on them though...

Ginger, if atmosphere doesn''t matter, why are home games much more likely to produce results for any team in any league in any sport?

When was the last time England was so dominant in the Olympics? Or Australia? Or Canada in the winter games? Or Norwich City in the Prem? Home field advantage is huge, and it''s got little to do with travel.

Players aren''t robots and fans can inspire them - of course they can - and do have an effect at games. All it needs is a spark and the crowd will respond -and games are changed by it.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Players aren''t robots and fans can inspire them - of course they can - and do have an effect at games. All it needs is a spark and the crowd will respond -and games are changed by it.

[/quote]

Have you considered e-mailing one of your inspirational, positive, balanced, big picture posts to Mr. McNally to pass on to the players before kick off Lakey ? [;)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Players aren''t robots and fans can inspire them - of course they can - and do have an effect at games. All it needs is a spark and the crowd will respond -and games are changed by it.

[/quote]

Have you considered e-mailing one of your inspirational, positive, balanced, big picture posts to Mr. McNally to pass on to the players before kick off Lakey ? [;)]

[/quote]

I know you don''t like McNally BUT that''s going over the top

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]Not a fan of the clappers but they do help with the atmosphere.   Saturday is vital so you can''t object to them coming out.[/quote]

They''re a bit too tin pot for my liking we need these.

[img]http://www.standard.co.uk/incoming/article8829801.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/Wooden-rattle.jpg[/img]

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know you don''t like McNally BUT that''s going over the top

[/quote]

I think me calling him Mr.McNally and you calling him McNally says a lot don''t you Butler ? [:|]

Nothing ''Tin Pot'' about these clappers at all - they are proven to be largely effective. Maybe winning games is what the saboteurs on here are trying to avoid?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no league table with a column displaying Happy Clapper usage!

[quote user="Jimbo Canary"]

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]Not a fan of the clappers but they do help with the atmosphere.   Saturday is vital so you can''t object to them coming out.[/quote]

[img]http://www.standard.co.uk/incoming/article8829801.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/Wooden-rattle.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

Ha Jimbo! I owned one of them But were they tin pot?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Jimbo Canary"]

[/quote]

Ha Jimbo! I owned one of them But were they tin pot?

[/quote]

My bad English Mr GP, I meant the new clappers are a bit tin pot, not the old vicious wooden rattle.[:$]

Remember we all got to make one of those in woodwork at school. Quite the must have accessory on match days. We painted them too. Mine was one of the few yellow and green in my school in suffolk I seem to remember.

I don''t like the idea of them, but you can''t deny their success. I''d have them at least for the next game. Maybe not after that.