Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Next manager odds - strange occurance

Betvictor and Stan James have been offering odds on the next Norwich manager (like they do all clubs).The odds are almost always very similar between the two. Malky Mackay remains the favourite with both, but Neil Lennon has gone from 3/1 to 6/1 with Betvictor, still 3/1 with Stan James.With Lennon going to 6/1 though has come Di Matteo coming down massively from 20/1 to 6/1 to be joint second favourite with Betvictor, but is still 20/1 with Stan James.Something has prompted them to massively slash the odds on Di Matteo at a time when there is no speculation or no vacancy and jack up the odds on Neil Lennon. Possibly some rich mug having a large speculative bet, but also could be a number of bets or some information circling. The interesting thing about Di Matteo is that the reason he hasn''t taken a job is that he is still being paid £130k a week by Chelsea on gardening leave, due to stop this summer.A lot of people are saying that they think Hughton knows he has gone in the summer (when I suggested this it was laughed off). Some have suggested Lennon won''t leave until the end of season celebrations have finished, others that Malky wants to agree his compo. Di Matteo basically becomes available for the first time in two years this summer, and for some reason Betvictor thinks he is coming to us.

Di Matteo would be a poor choice. If you think Hughton is negative, you might change your mind once you see di Matteo''s Norwich play.

I can''t imagine he could be any worse.He managed to win the Champions League and FA Cup in 2012, pretty epic achievement if you ask me.We need fresh ideas and to give all of our players a clean slate under a new man.My choice would actually be Lennon, but I''d rather Malky or Di Matteo than going into a third season under Hughton.

Because bookies work on the "a fool and his money are soon parted" basis. It''s between 2 men, Malky and Lennon with the safe money going on Lennon.

"I can''t imagine he could be any worse."

Then you have a seriously limited imagination. Think Allardyce for starters.

Just my humble opinion but I can''t see Lennon enhancing the image of the club or adding much on the pitch either. 

He may intimidate players but management by fear is old hat unless you are an established figure, like Fergie.

[quote user="Le Juge"]I can''t imagine he could be any worse.[/quote]This is a very dangerous attitude, and quite frankly not true. I can think of at least 5 current premier league managers that would be worse. Further, if you can remember back to every manager we had between Worthy & Lambert, you''ll remember than it can, and does get much, much worse.I think you might be right in regards to Hughton being gone in the summer regardless, however the decision of the next manager is not a trivial one. We could do much, much worse!In regards to Di Mateo, I''m not sure. I think he''d do an OK job, but will he play the type of football the ''masses'' want?

In truth, nobody knows what has been agreed with our current manager and for all we know he may already know that if he keeps us up he has the job for next season, I personally have my doubt on that, but who really knows.....I could live with either decision.

That said, it actually shocks me to see people calling for Neil Lennon, not so much the other names.....BUT, Neil Lennon as Norwich City manager?...I pray that this doesnt happen, as really cannot see what he will bring to the table....other than having knowledge of how to win trophies with many times more resources than the rest of the league, a much bigger and better squad and playing teams each week who at best are English Championship level.......the few Champions League games experience?..........well we aint going to be in that are we!!

Should we need a new manager, I really would want a step-up from what we have now.....and like it or not.......that''s going to be a big ask for a club of our size.......      

LeJudge wrote: "I can''t imagine he could be any worse.

He managed to win the Champions League and FA Cup in 2012, pretty epic achievement if you ask me."

Be very careful what you wish for. Come the end of the season, if we remain up, that will be two seasons of premier league football Hughton would have given us.

There is no guarantee that a new manager coming in would keep us up. In many people''s eyes we may play a better brand of football, but we may well still go down.

This is not an argument to keep Hughton in, just that it is pretty thoughtless to suggest there is nothing worse . . . .

As for Malky and Roberto - would it be so wrong to want better candidates? Neither of them really have much more on their CV''s than Hughton.

Roberto did win two trophies - but I think it is also fair to say that it''s arguable how much was down to him considering that season he took over on 4th March.

I''m not writing him off by the way, I like the chap, but to base his ability on what? Two and a half months? Is a bit of a stretch. What has he done other than that? Mk Dons - did well. West Brom - almost identical to Hughton at Newcastle.

So let''s just be a little cautious when suggesting a manager is a sure bet improvement . . .

Di Matteo said in the press a day or 2 ago he was ready to come back into management. I imagine that''s why the odds have decreased I imagine.

If you go on win percentage you go with di Matteo by miles. Ground out results with a similar team to that struggling at present.

Personally I''d love laudrup if we had to pick but think he''s got eyes for a bigger club

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Le Juge"]I can''t imagine he could be any worse.[/quote]If you can remember back to every manager we had between Worthy & Lambert, you''ll remember than it can, and does get much, much worse.I think you might be right in regards to Hughton being gone in the summer regardless, however the decision of the next manager is not a trivial one. We could do much, much worse![/quote]^ This.Clarke, Di Matteo, Lennon, Mackay, Sherwood are all managers who could represent a frying pan/fire scenario.Then you have the Rosler/Pressley/Howe kind of appointment, which is a gamble. People will say Lambert was a similar gamble, but we were in League One at the time. Could any of these managers guarantee an improvement in results from a standing start in the top flight?Then you have your ''left field'' appointments like Paul Clement – interested shout from the poster who suggested a cheeky fiver on him. Was that based on any insight, or just a hunch?In summary, I think we''re ready for a change of tack in the summer, but the ''anyone could do better'' brigade should tread with caution IMO.

Wolf, don''t profess to be ''In the know'' as such, but have been privy a year or so ago to conversations at Colney, as son was involved in academy there before we moved away.

I have kept my contacts in Norwich and speak regularly as I return from time to time and he is known to be highly respected at the club and fits the ''model'' that McNally is looking at, a coach who would look to have input at all levels in a hands on way and would play a style of football that would be pleasing to the public. Also, a long list of contacts and networks in Europe, with some idea where gems are hidden.

Like I say nothing concrete but his name has talked about within the walls of the club.

[quote user="Canary Willo"]

Wolf, don''t profess to be ''In the know'' as such, but have been privy a year or so ago to conversations at Colney, as son was involved in academy there before we moved away.

I have kept my contacts in Norwich and speak regularly as I return from time to time and he is known to be highly respected at the club and fits the ''model'' that McNally is looking at, a coach who would look to have input at all levels in a hands on way and would play a style of football that would be pleasing to the public. Also, a long list of contacts and networks in Europe, with some idea where gems are hidden.

Like I say nothing concrete but his name has talked about within the walls of the club.

[/quote]

Who?

[quote user="Le Juge"]I can''t imagine he could be any worse.

He managed to win the Champions League and FA Cup in 2012, pretty epic achievement if you ask me.

We need fresh ideas and to give all of our players a clean slate under a new man.

My choice would actually be Lennon, but I''d rather Malky or Di Matteo than going into a third season under Hughton.
[/quote]

He is an awful manager, never seen a team play so negatively like his Chelsea team did.

Avram Grant was a penalty kick away from winning the champions league. It means nothing.

Tim Sherwood please for me. I like his passion, hes trying to get Spurs playing nice football and he knows this club and the City. Also has a decent eye for youth development.

I think he is struggling at Spurs (or hit & miss) because he has too many egos and the wrong blend of players. But with our lot and a couple of talented young loanees I think he could do really well.

We will never compete in the prem on talent alone, for a club like us passion and spirit can be our edge. Lambert delivered it, I think Sherwood could too.

[quote user="ridgeman"][quote user="Canary Willo"]

[/quote]

Who?[/quote]Assistant manager at Real Madrid.

But what if we go down? How many of those mentioned would welcome the chance to manage NCFC in the championship. Presumably these odds are based on us remaining in the Prem. But if the worst were to happen, who then?

Of course, a new manager to keep us up (if we avoid relegation this year) would probably be a different animal to a manager to get us up out of the Championship. The only thing that might happen is someone is given 5 games to keep us up on a mega bonus if we lose to West Brom ( not a silly as it sounds)

If we go down , look to managers that have a track record or promotion. Colin springs to mind, or possibly Malky. I can''t see Lennon accepting a championship job. I don''t think he is the man for us anyway.

I''d like Di Matteo (in the Prem) , but he would want a huge salary and large backroom support. Also a few quid for the transfer fund.

"Then you have a seriously limited imagination. Think Allardyce for starters"OK..... 4 away wins, 4 away draws, 10 more goals scored, won every game they played in February (scoring 9 goals in the process), reached the League cup semi-final, 11th in the league and on 37 points already safe. West Ham fans may not enjoy his style of football but at least they can go to away games and have belief that they can win and score goals. Last three away games:Aston Villa 0-2 West HamChelsea 0-0 West HamCardiff 0-2 West HamOh poor West Ham being stuck with a manager who knows how to win games away from home!

Are these the same West Ham fans that booed after a win. They like him as much as you like Hughton/Wolfie.