Sign in to follow this  
Never  Blue

City U21 v Cromer....I've seen no other thread on it.

After being called off several times the game between our U21''s and Cromer finally went ahead last night. A couple of points that I feel are worth mentioning:

- Cromer didn''t look like a bad little side. Good young keeper who made a couple of excellent saves and their left winger put a fantastic shift in, extremely quick, dropping back when required and helping to build attacks.

- It was difficult to gauge a great deal from the City side as it felt as though they could have stepped up several gears had it been required. One thing that I would say was missing was width. Obviously the ''wide men'' from last season have progressed into the first team and their understudies don''t seem to be anything like the same quality. Carlton Morris seems to be the player most affected by this and he looks (on this showing alone) like he has changed his game accordingly which is a shame as he was looking like a real talent last season. I just hope that i''m wrong.

- Finally, the singing Cromer fans must be worth a mention. They had great fun throughout the second half and certainly had me (and those around me) laughing with some of their songs. Could do with this at FCR at the moment.

Did anyone else attend? What did you make of it?

Nibbs and I had the same conversation about lack of width. I guess the Murphy boys sitting in the stand would have been itching to have played.The wind also played a big part - neither team seemed to be able to gauge how strong to hit forward passes.Good game from Reece Hall Johnson, cracking free kick against the bar, good vision and cross-field passes.Agree that Carlton Morris looks the one most likely to succeed.

Who are these wingers from the U21 who have progressed into the first team?
The Murphy''s played for the U18s, probably the for the U21s as well. But they haven''t ''progressed'' into the first team, Josh was on the bench for a few weeks whilst we only had two fit wingers. Now we have four fit wingers he quite possibly won''t make the bench again this season wrongly or rightly.

Quite a few who played last night are actually U18 players and those that are U21''s are young U21''s.

Also besides the Murphs, other regulars such as Jamar Loza, Cam McGeehan and Ewan McNeil were missing, Jamar and Cam on loan and Ewan out injured.

The oldest player out there was Rem Matthews at 19, the average age was probably 18, so considering a good showing by the lads.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Who are these wingers from the U21 who have progressed into the first team?
The Murphy''s played for the U18s, probably the for the U21s as well. But they haven''t ''progressed'' into the first team, Josh was on the bench for a few weeks whilst we only had two fit wingers. Now we have four fit wingers he quite possibly won''t make the bench again this season wrongly or rightly.
[/quote]I thought they both played in one game, maybe the cup (my memory isnt what it was) if thats the case then they have progressed in to the first team...havent they?

I''ve seen Gafaiti play a few times and he''s certainly got a chance of making it. He''s big and strong - fairly quick, quite two footed and tries to play it out from the back.

He reminds me quite a bit of Jason Shackell which is meant to be a compliment - but a bit like Shackell I''m not quite sure if he has enough drive and devil in him to make it as a Premier League player.

[quote user="city4eva"][quote user="Gingerpele"]Who are these wingers from the U21 who have progressed into the first team?
[/quote]I thought they both played in one game, maybe the cup (my memory isnt what it was) if thats the case then they have progressed in to the first team...havent they?[/quote]

Not in the way the OP is making out. He''s said it as of they now aren''t/can''t play for the youth side. Both have played first team, Jacob just 20 mins in the cup. I don''t know why they weren''t playing for the U21s, but it''s not because they have progressed to the first team. That''s my point.

Thirsty Lizard,

I know Adel Gafaiti quite well and you won''t come across a more driven and focused lad and like you I think he has the makings, big and strong, two footed and can play, also I think he is calm and collected on the ball, I''ve seen him ping some crackers and in fact at Carrow Rd last Friday against Arsenal, he was sent up front for the last few minutes and had a shot blocked and provided a very clever deft header for Rod Young to run onto which earned us our penalty.

I would be quite interested to see if we could make a damn good defensive central midfielder out of him, sort of in the Matic, Luiz role at Chelsea and if he is anywhere near as good as those two that''ll do us.

Be nice if they got him out on loan.

Do you happen to know if he wants that, Ray?

Hi Ray - I''ve noticed that you obviously follow the Academy teams very closely and so was interested to hear your view. It''s great to hear that Adel Gafaiti is very focused and driven because in my experience that mental toughness and will to succeed is just as important - if not more important - than a player''s skill and ability.

Drive and determination stood out like a sore thumb with the young Craig Bellamy when he was in our youth team and he hasn''t done too badly.

GJP,

With our CB''s dropping like flies not sure we can afford to let him go!

He would do whatever he needed to do to play Prem football, but my feelings are that, for now, he will stay here.

He started two games on the pre-season tour, at RB funnily enough. I think he is one of those players that will develop into a utility player, who could play in a number of positions.

With Turner''s contarct coming to an end in the summer and considering he will be 31 this year, I wouldn''t be at all surprised to see the lad on the bench next season.