Sign in to follow this  
beelsie

match between sheff/utd and fulham

I watched last night the marathon cup game between Fulham and Sheffield United.  I was so pleased to see that Nigel Clough has been able to bring to his new side some of the magic that was once a characteristic  of his dads good Nottingham Forest sides. For one there was a team spirit that made Sheffield look for the ball as if they wanted it; the off the ball running, the defence playing and keeping their shape. The whole team moving as a unit, up and down the field like a well prepared army, each knowing what their jobs and duties were.  It was not the frantic gallop that I have witnessed with our Norwich sides of late.I am sure that the Sheffield side would not freely capitulate against the big boys of the Premiership. in the way that our boys have done too often; is there no longer any real pride in our team members?  Do they not want to make the big boys feel that on winning, they had at least had been in a real match. I no longer wish to hear that the big sides are packed with quality ETC ETC.I want to know that our boys can compete at all levels and that they are capable of wanting to do so! We are so predictable, and the lack of sensible off the ball running. Plus nauseating sideways and backward passing , so done because of our witless off  the ball running is not allowing an attacking alternative for the man on the ball. Yes the Sheffield side made Fulham look ordinary, and Fulham reminds me of us in an impersonation of a ship without a rudder. In fact like us. Also what happened to an occasional accurate long ball down the wing. For someone to take the opposition by surprise and move a ball into the centre for our starved strikers to run on to. What happened to accuracy and spot on delivery while on the run like Matthews used to do when playing for Stoke.  Also we seem unable to cross when playing from dead ball situations. I would expect any player to be able to kick a dead ball with accuracy.  We seem to take so long to get from defence to the final quarter of the opposition''s half, it''s no wonder our strikers have difficulty getting a clear strike at goal. we seem to need a few more early balls, and eager recipients in places to receive them. All I ask is that we play like a team ,instead of a rabble.

OTBC from Beelsie

[quote user="Matt Juler"]Don''t think we need to be too worried about Fulham, they''ll only pick up 3 more points all season!
[/quote]

I think I spotted what you did there. [;)]